Official 2016 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

I silent commit that is named and won't even be committing. Is that what we have come to?

Im trying to gather a list of those recruits that I should be paying close attention to (other than current verbal commits) on Wednesday. Not looking to debate odds of each - just who hasn't closed the door on the U at this point. Have I missed anyone or missed anyone saying No for sure....
Dredrick Snelson
Coney Durr
Daniel Thomas
DeMarcus Williams
Tamarion Johnson
Lloyd Cushenberry
Tyrez Lyndsey

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Im trying to gather a list of those recruits that I should be paying close attention to (other than current verbal commits) on Wednesday. Not looking to debate odds of each - just who hasn't closed the door on the U at this point. Have I missed anyone or missed anyone saying No for sure....
Dredrick Snelson
Coney Durr
Daniel Thomas
DeMarcus Williams
Tamarion Johnson
Lloyd Cushenberry
Tyrez Lyndsey

Do you think they are all holding back their commitments until NSD? I don't recall last year being this suspenseful.

Dredrick Snelson
Coney Durr
Daniel Thomas
DeMarcus Williams
Tamarion Johnson
Lloyd Cushenberry
Tyrez Lyndsey

Arkeem Byrd
Stephen Moye

Do you think they are all holding back their commitments until NSD? I don't recall last year being this suspenseful.

As far as I know, all but the last 2 are uncommitted (yes, I'm including Snelson and Durr for obvious reasons). I know the last 2 I listed are committed elsewhere and less likely, but I know we were pushing for both and I haven't heard them publicly say no or that they are firm with their commitments. I could have missed something tho.

Thanks. Forgot Byrd. Hadn't heard any rumblings on Moye.

At this point my gut says we'll keep Snelson and lose Durr, although if I could switch that around I would. Hope I'm wrong on that, I think Durr looks like a heck of a player. That's not to bash Snelson, would love to have him as well.

I feel like we have a really good shot at Thomas, Williams, and Johnson. Anything beyond that is gravy I think.

Would love at least one signing day surprise.

Big STrib profile: Gophers recruit Seth Green: Homegrown, with some Texas seasoning

Change of heart

Green has a unique combination of size, speed and arm strength. Westerberg said Green’s work ethic — film study, weight room training, etc. — is “second to none.” But scouting analysts also see inconsistencies in Green’s throwing mechanics. Like any incoming freshmen, he’s far from a finished product.

When he first committed to Oregon, Rivals.com had him ranked as the nation’s No. 8 dual-threat quarterback, but he has since dropped to No. 22 on that list. Oregon continued to add quarterbacks to this year’s recruiting class, making it look as if the Ducks had cooled on Green.

When he flipped to Minnesota, he cited Oregon offensive coordinator Scott Frost’s departure to become Central Florida’s head coach. Meanwhile, Gophers coach Tracy Claeys had just fired offensive coordinator Matt Limegrover and was in the process of hiring his replacement, which became Jay Johnson, from Louisiana-Lafayette.

“I got the feeling the writing was on the wall [at Oregon],” said Tom Lemming, a recruiting analyst for CBS Sports Network. “Not that they told [Green] to leave, but they probably weren’t showing him as much attention as they did early on.”

Still, Lemming noted how fortunate the Gophers are, with Green set to sign his letter of intent on Wednesday.

“He’s a big-time catch at quarterback,” he said. “He was actually the top prospect in Minnesota before he left. So it’s a good thing they’re bringing him back home.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-recruit-seth-green-homegrown-with-some-texas-seasoning/367301931/

Go Gophers!!

per Greder:

When the hulking 6-foot-5, 270-pound Garrison Wright approached the net in tennis matches, spectators congregated and opponents fled.

On his way to the state doubles tournament as a junior and senior at Marysville (Kan.) High School, fans and football recruiters wanted to see Wright’s power and relative agility on the court.

During his sophomore year in 2011, Wright eyed up an easy lob and smashed it right below the opponent’s belt, sending him to the hospital.

“Other teams called him the ‘Quiet Giant,’ ” his coach, Mary Kessinger-Wassom, said. “This intimidation just followed him. Everybody was like, ‘Get out of the way; Garrison is on the court.’ ”

Wright is bringing that swagger to football field at TCF Bank Stadium. Now 310 pounds, Wright is joining the Gophers from Butler Community College in Kansas and is a projected starter at guard next season.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/02/01/gophers-football-no-specialization-just-special-recruits/

Go Gophers!!

At this point my gut says we'll keep Snelson and lose Durr, although if I could switch that around I would. Hope I'm wrong on that, I think Durr looks like a heck of a player. That's not to bash Snelson, would love to have him as well.

I feel like we have a really good shot at Thomas, Williams, and Johnson. Anything beyond that is gravy I think.

Would love at least one signing day surprise.

Based on his interview with Gopher Illustrated, I think the likelihood is that Durr sticks with Minnesota. His comparison of the Minnesota and Virginia Tech defensive backfields, coaches, and NFL opportunities was essentially even. But he said that academics were important to him and that he wanted to major in business. In distinguishing between Minnesota and Virginia Tech, he mentioned that he planned to major in business and commented on the number of Fortune 500 companies headquartered here, and the opportunities that represented. As for Virginia Tech, he talked about game day atmosphere. My guess is that the Carlson School and after football job opportunities will win out.

Based on his interview with Gopher Illustrated, I think the likelihood is that Durr sticks with Minnesota. His comparison of the Minnesota and Virginia Tech defensive backfields, coaches, and NFL opportunities was essentially even. But he said that academics were important to him and that he wanted to major in business. In distinguishing between Minnesota and Virginia Tech, he mentioned that he planned to major in business and commented on the number of Fortune 500 companies headquartered here, and the opportunities that represented. As for Virginia Tech, he talked about game day atmosphere. My guess is that the Carlson School and after football job opportunities will win out.

That's great to hear. I hope you're right.

per Greder:

When the hulking 6-foot-5, 270-pound Garrison Wright approached the net in tennis matches, spectators congregated and opponents fled.

On his way to the state doubles tournament as a junior and senior at Marysville (Kan.) High School, fans and football recruiters wanted to see Wright’s power and relative agility on the court.

During his sophomore year in 2011, Wright eyed up an easy lob and smashed it right below the opponent’s belt, sending him to the hospital.

“Other teams called him the ‘Quiet Giant,’ ” his coach, Mary Kessinger-Wassom, said. “This intimidation just followed him. Everybody was like, ‘Get out of the way; Garrison is on the court.’ ”

Wright is bringing that swagger to football field at TCF Bank Stadium. Now 310 pounds, Wright is joining the Gophers from Butler Community College in Kansas and is a projected starter at guard next season.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/02/01/gophers-football-no-specialization-just-special-recruits/

Go Gophers!!

Wow, that's so cool. :) This guy is very quickly becoming one of my favorites of all our new players.

Successful tennis requires good footwork, and the fact that he made the state tennis tournament twice can only be a good sign so far as that goes. Really looking forward to seeing him play for us.

Any new information on any possible under the radar type commits? It feels like we're just waiting to see if Snelson and Durr stick, and if TaMarion Johnson and Demarcus Williams commit. Am I missing anyone?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom