Offensive Coordinator Hot Board: Candidates to Replace KC

FWIW - I listened to both Justin Gaard (said it will be an outside hire) and Ryan Burns (said Simon is frontrunner) talk about this yesterday. ?‍♂️

Personally, I will be disappointed if we hire Simon. Seems like a great WR coach, but I would be disappointed in hiring anyone with zero OC experience. That is what G5 football is for.
In some respects I agree, but Simon appears to provides a high amount of value to the team. Making him the OC would extend his influence on the team and the passing game. I don't know if he has real responsibilities as the passing game coordinator or if that is just an excuse to pay him more, but if real, that suggests he can step into the OC job with a very easy transition.

Patterson is an interesting option because he has been a HC and RPO guru at the JUCO level. So he has lots of experience running an offense but not much experience with FBS coaching in general. @Spoofin, what were your thoughts on Rossi being made the DC?

Put this in the equation somewhere...almost everything Matt Simon knows PJ taught him.
Anything Matt Simon learned elsewhere...PJ now knows. So, he is the most easily replaced coach. (Just a take)

I think we we go could go backwards if somehow Callahan were not our offensive line coach. I think he is good.
Only question I have on the line is why are only six guys worthy of playing time?

@Spoofin, what were your thoughts on Rossi being made the DC?
It made sense to make him the interim and he had a body of work afterwards. IIRC, I was OK with the hire. I think he has done well.

OK, I’ve decided this is my first choice.

teOd3zb.png

Word on the street is that Fleck is somewhat stunned in the interest in this job.

That's not an elite mindset.

I think he hires outside of the current staff.

This would be a HOMERUN HIRE. Someone who has a great track record along with being a hell of a recruiter.

Keep an eye on David Yost.

Looked up Yost. Interesting look.

4b_Yost_David_Assistant_.jpg

Two names that I'm really rooting for are David Yost, the current OC at Texas Tech, and Rhett Lashlee, OC at SMU. I think both would be phenomenal hires.

Where did the idea that Yost and/or Lashlee are interested in the Gopher OC position, come from? Is this coming purely from the fandom-sphere, or is there something of actual reality here?

Sure, both look fine on paper. Only inkling of a concern on Lashlee I would have is to find out what the real deal was at Auburn. Did Malzahn take back play-calling duty because he's a control freak, or because he thought Lashlee wasn't getting it done?

Neither of these guys has any touch-point on the Fleck-Schiano tree. So I think it would be a really big "risk", from Fleck's point of view, to hire someone he knows nothing about, from some far-flung circle of coaches he doesn't know or trust. Just sayin

I thought the following was an interesting comment from an Iowa fan on Reddit regarding Polasek:

"Our OL has been pretty awful during his time here. If we had even an slightly below average Iowa OL this year, we probably win 2 more games, and that's not hyperbole. So many missed assignments, the interior OL looking lost on nearly every play, and poor mechanics all around. From what I heard about Polasek, NDSU wasn't too sad to see him leave. I'd like to get us back to an Iowa standard."
Thanks for sharing. Fair enough!

I find the bit about NDSU wasn't sad to see him leave, a bit hard to swallow, seeing how they won national titles with him as OC. Perhaps that was just a few disgruntled fans who thought they should throw the ball more, or who knows. Tough sometimes to know how much to trust what some random person posts on the internet.

I'll throw my marker on the table.

If we do reasonable well, or better, on offense today, against a very tough defense, Fleck will hire Simon as OC.

Not sure what would happen with the QB room, then. Hire someone? Shift coaching assignments around? Promote Greg Harbaugh to full-time QB coach?

I'll throw my marker on the table.

If we do reasonable well, or better, on offense today, against a very tough defense, Fleck will hire Simon as OC.

Not sure what would happen with the QB room, then. Hire someone? Shift coaching assignments around? Promote Greg Harbaugh to full-time QB coach?
This is what I think, too. Fleck had great success replacing DC Rob Smith internally, and may very well opt for the same here. The offense has been very successful this year and I do not think it would be wise to go to something vastly different, even with a name OC. Who can ever forget Tim Brewster bringing in a new OC every year and changing the offense entirely around. To this day, I feel bad for Adam Webber who had to learn a new playbook every year and have new OC's and QB coaches every year. NOBODY deserves that.

David Yost runs an up tempo spread type offense, I’m thinking PJ wants to stick with the RPO.

PJ Fleck does not want a Washington State Claeys disaster. I don't think he want to upset the coaching staff chemistry.

PJ Fleck does not want a Washington State Claeys disaster. I don't think he want to upset the coaching staff chemistry.

Of course he doesn’t want that. Is there something you know about Yost that would be a cause for concern in this regard?

Top Bottom