Offense Next Year - Run/Pass Splits

It would seem if PJ wants to keep pounding the ball as much as he likes, he may need to add another RB in the offseason. They might not be done portalling, but as of now the RB depth would likely be:

RB1 Darius Taylor (So)
RB2 Sieh Bangura (Jr)
RB3 Jordan Nubin (Jr)
RB4 Jaydon Wright (Fr)

Nubin had some good moments, but I would think most agree that you don't want him as the guy taking most of the carries. Bangura has close to 2000 yards over 2 years at Ohio. Taylor was unable to stay healthy in his one season so far. Unless they get another solid pickup in the portal, losing Evans could really hurt. With PJ running as much as he does, there have been multiple seasons where we're down to RB3/4/5 at the end of the year. I don't care if he's getting 6 yards/carry; hammering Taylor 35 carries a game can NOT happen next year if PJ wants to keep him healthy. That may require them throwing the ball another 5-6 times a game than they did this year and being way better at developing a RB rotation.

But I think you're arguing against a notion that no one would disagree with. If we could have a passing attack as good as 2019, no one would complain.
Do you think there were zero complaints about the passing offense during the 2019 season? They didn't throw to the TE enough (this was really common), need more screens, etc. was not uncommon talk during that season.

People always find something they don't like.

Do you think there were zero complaints about the passing offense during the 2019 season? They didn't throw to the TE enough (this was really common), need more screens, etc. was not uncommon talk during that season.

Touche.

And we did throw to the TE to kill Auburn!

And went for it on an aggressive play call!

Yep, it's more. You have to also look at the yardage split. 2019 and 2023 were almost the same if you look at the split of plays. Huge difference in yardage and split. 2023 had more yards on the ground. 2019 had (a lot) more yards through the air, averaging 100 more yards per game than 2023. 2019 had the ability to take the top off through the air, 2023 didn't.
O
2019 had a QB who was delivering accurate passes and being decisive.

But it wasn't close to a 50/50 split in pass/run attempts. 63% rushing attempts, 37% passing.
Mainly because through the bulk of 2019
we had enough lead to keep it on the ground the 4th quarter.

It would seem if PJ wants to keep pounding the ball as much as he likes, he may need to add another RB in the offseason. They might not be done portalling, but as of now the RB depth would likely be:

RB1 Darius Taylor (So)
RB2 Sieh Bangura (Jr)
RB3 Jordan Nubin (Jr)
RB4 Jaydon Wright (Fr)

Nubin had some good moments, but I would think most agree that you don't want him as the guy taking most of the carries. Bangura has close to 2000 yards over 2 years at Ohio. Taylor was unable to stay healthy in his one season so far. Unless they get another solid pickup in the portal, losing Evans could really hurt. With PJ running as much as he does, there have been multiple seasons where we're down to RB3/4/5 at the end of the year. I don't care if he's getting 6 yards/carry; hammering Taylor 35 carries a game can NOT happen next year if PJ wants to keep him healthy. That may require them throwing the ball another 5-6 times a game than they did this year and being way better at developing a RB rotation.
Jordan Nubin does a nice job blocking. Even if Bangura beats him out for the backup spot, I expect to see Nubin take over the Bryce Williams role.

Is the goal to pass more, or to win the game(s)?

In 2019, the Gophers finished 11-2, #10 ranked nationally... the ratio that season was 37% pass, 63% run. Not even close to your preferred 50-50.

Were you disappointed in a Top Ten team because they didn't throw as often as you like?
I'd love to see that efficiency but that seemed like a peak. I view that as more of an anomaly.

I'm sure in a perfect world, PJ would love that split and we all loved that year with those wideouts and that OC.

I don't think we have that anymore. Our receivers are decent. OC / Play-calling is not at that level. I don't see us being able to match that year with those same splits.

Complaints seem more justified when you're 6-7 versus 11-2.

I really think we miss the stability of Kirk C and the trust PJ had in him. I'm skeptical of being able to find that with our current OC pairing.

Hopefully this QB is just THAT good though. Make plays when maybe the play-calling isn't that high level.

The emphasis will definitely be to pass more. How else would Fleck and Harbaugh have convinced Brosmer and Lyndsey into becoming Gophers? It isn’t to hand the ball off 60-70% of the snaps.

Complaints seem more justified when you're 6-7 versus 11-2.

I really think we miss the stability of Kirk C and the trust PJ had in him. I'm skeptical of being able to find that with our current OC pairing.

Hopefully this QB is just THAT good though. Make plays when maybe the play-calling isn't that high level.
KC is the primary driver of instability of the offense the last 4 years

Brosmer, Taylor, Jackson will be what Cunningham, Smith, and Moss were to the 1999 Vikings. Gophers will spend too much time dancing in the end zone to worry about splits.

For context, conference games pass/run attempts for these three teams.

Wisconsin passed 51%.

Minnesota passed 42%

Ohio State passed 47%.

1703521842088.png

So with the new QB maybe Minnesota will go up to ???

Would be nice if Gophers had one more good pass catcher.

Why not mention Michigan, the conference champ? They had 62% run / 38% pass in conference play. This is much more similar to the Gopher's style under Fleck.

Brosmer, Taylor, Jackson will be what Cunningham, Smith, and Moss were to the 1999 Vikings. Gophers will spend too much time dancing in the end zone to worry about splits.
Loved when Super Freak would just put his arm up to signal as he headed down field and Randall would launch it.

The emphasis will definitely be to pass more. How else would Fleck and Harbaugh have convinced Brosmer and Lyndsey into becoming Gophers? It isn’t to hand the ball off 60-70% of the snaps.

Okay, now I'm really confused. Are we talking about more passing or not?

I was told it wasn't about passing more, but rather about passing better.

I was also told no one would complain if the Gophers only threw the ball 37% of the time, providing the passing is efficient and effective, like it was in 2019.

You seem to be saying it's about throwing more often.

I'd love to see that efficiency but that seemed like a peak. I view that as more of an anomaly.

I'm sure in a perfect world, PJ would love that split and we all loved that year with those wideouts and that OC.

I don't think we have that anymore. Our receivers are decent. OC / Play-calling is not at that level. I don't see us being able to match that year with those same splits.

So you're calling for more passing?

There isn’t a magic ratio. Run well when you run it, pass well when you pass it.
The magic is only in the timing. Always keeping the defense off balance, uncertain, and trying to outguess you. Offensive predictability makes every defense better.

I care about wins and losses.
If you care about wins and losses than the the you should care most about its yards per attempt

7.8+ yards per attempt makes this gopher team top 30 in yards per attempt and dangerous. Less than that and it’s mediocre.

Kaliakmanis 8.3 in 2022 bumpered by that Wisconsin game. But it gave me hope for 2023. It didn’t come to fruition. But if he could’ve repeated that it would’ve been great. He was 7.6 excluding Wisconsin game.

Below is history. Bolded are 8+ win seasons.

2023 AK = 6.3 in 2023

Fleck era
TM 2022 = 8.6 AK = 8.3
TM 2021 = 8.2

TM 2020 = 7.4
TM 2019 = 10.2
TM 2018 = 9.2 ZA 2018 = 6.8
DC 2017 = 5.5 CR 2017 = 7.7

Pre fleck
ML 2016 = 7.1
ML 2015 = 6.6
ML 2014 = 7.6
ML 2013 = 7.9 PN 2013 = 7.0

PN 2012 = 5.7 MG 2012 = 8.0 MS 2012 = 6.4
MG 2011 = 6.1 MS 2011 = 5.7

Adam Weber
2010 = 7.3
2009 = 7.0
2008 = 6.7
2007 = 6.4

Cupito
2006 = 7.9
2005 = 8.5
2004 = 8.0

AAK
2003 = 9.6
2002 = 7.0
2001 = 7.4

Last edited:

The magic is only in the timing. Always keeping the defense off balance, uncertain, and trying to outguess you. Offensive predictability makes every defense better.

Crisp execution of simple fundamentals, like throwing an accurate, catchable pass, also helps make an offense effective.

If you care about wins and losses than the the you should care most about its yards per attempt

7.8+ yards per attempt makes this gopher team top 30 in yards per attempt and dangerous. Less than that and it’s mediocre.

Kaliakmanis 8.3 in 2022 bumpered by that Wisconsin game. But it gave me hope for 2023. It didn’t come to fruition. But if he could’ve repeated that it would’ve been great. He was 7.6 excluding Wisconsin game.

2023 AK = 6.3 in 2023

Fleck era
TM 2022 = 8.6
TM 2021 = 8.2

TM 2020 = 7.4
TM 2019 = 10.2
TM 2018 = 9.2
ZA 2018 = 6.8
DC 2017 = 5.5
CR 2017 = 7.7

Pre fleck
ML 2016 = 7.1
ML 2015 = 6.6
ML 2014 = 7.6
ML 2013 = 7.9

PN 2013 = 7.0
PN 2012 = 5.7
MG 2012 = 8.0
MS 2012 = 6.4
MG 2011 = 6.1
MS 2011 = 5.7

Adam Weber
2010 = 7.3
2009 = 7.0
2008 = 6.7
2007 = 6.4

Cupito
2006 = 7.9
2005 = 8.5
2004 = 8.0

AAK
2003 = 9.6
2002 = 7.0
2001 = 7.4

What did our running game average per carry in the Fleck era?

Hope you are making a clever embedded pun regarding my discussion of "RBs". Otherwise, you lost me.
It was a play off the internet joke

2023 AK = 6.3 in 2023

Fleck era
TM 2022 = 8.6 AK = 8.3
TM 2021 = 8.2

TM 2020 = 7.4
TM 2019 = 10.2
TM 2018 = 9.2 ZA 2018 = 6.8
DC 2017 = 5.5 CR 2017 = 7.7

Pre fleck
ML 2016 = 7.1
ML 2015 = 6.6
ML 2014 = 7.6
ML 2013 = 7.9 PN 2013 = 7.0

PN 2012 = 5.7 MG 2012 = 8.0 MS 2012 = 6.4
MG 2011 = 6.1 MS 2011 = 5.7

Adam Weber
2010 = 7.3
2009 = 7.0
2008 = 6.7
2007 = 6.4

Cupito
2006 = 7.9
2005 = 8.5
2004 = 8.0

AAK
2003 = 9.6
2002 = 7.0
2001 = 7.4

This is really damned interesting, and revealing, too. (I'm assuming your numbers are accurate).

It sure seems to show a high correlation between a good YPA and team success.

This also appears to make Tanner Morgan look really good — especially considering that two of those seasons with high YPA (and 9 team wins each) were after Bateman and Johnson left.

This is really damned interesting, and revealing, too. (I'm assuming your numbers are accurate).

It sure seems to show a high correlation between a good YPA and team success.

This also appears to make Tanner Morgan look really good — especially considering that two of those seasons with high YPA (and 9 team wins each) were after Bateman and Johnson left.
Grabbed them from sports reference
If there is an error it is from me doing it on my phone 😂

I was also told no one would complain if the Gophers only threw the ball 37% of the time, providing the passing is efficient and effective, like it was in 2019.

You seem to be saying it's about throwing more

You seem to be saying it's about throwing more often.
We did put the ball up 44 times in our first game and averaged 22 passes per game completing 53% of passes which is not good. I agree, Increasing efficiency is more important than how many times we throw it up. A 60% plus completion percentage will do wonders for this offense. Some explosive plays vs plodding down the field every game will open it up for DT and Co.

It was a play off the internet joke

Got it!

KC is the primary driver of instability of the offense the last 4 years
That’s on Fleck for hiring a guy that already left. But you’re right, before all the shenanigans started happening is what I mean with KC

Top Bottom