Odds Colton starts over Ralph?

ChemEGopher

Section 133 Row 28!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
What are the chances Colton starts over Ralph to this season? There's been a lot chatter about Colton making some big improvements in his game this off-season (missed the scrimmage however) and he out played RSIII down the stretch last year. Haven't hear much about Ralph's game besides that he was working with his dad. I don't think it will happen right away since I'm convinced Tubby promised Ralph he would start every game of his career, but I have a feeling once BT season rolls around Colton will be the one playing starter's minutes.

What are the odds of them both starting? Hasn't that been the most recent talk? It really doesn't matter though, they will get about equal minutes.

I think that Colton would start alongside Ralph more often than Colton starting instead of Ralph. The team has seven players worthy of being starters in Blake, Al, Devoe, Ralph, Colton, Trevor and Rodney. The question is do they start three-guards, the Twin-Towers or am more traditional lineup.

Chris Monter

I would be surprised if both Ralph and Colton start, especially since bigs often run out of juice faster than the wings and guards. I think Trevor will start at the 4 and Ralph will start at the 5; Trevor will be the muscle and Ralph can be the finesse. I think Colton will come in and provide the muscle and leadership to the second string. having a true PF (its been awhile!) in Mbakwe will allow both Ralph and Colton to play the Center position better.

you know, too many "starters" is a nice problem to have, one I am sure most of the great teams deal with.

Odds of Ralph Senior having a little " chat " with Tubby should that happen? :)

Tubby told Colt and family those two would not be competing against each other, rather they would be playing along side one another. It's possible he told that to Ralph and family as well.

In the past two seasons it's worked out slightly in Ralph's favor for starts and minutes. It now appears Tubby intends to play them together and see how it works out. If Trevor-Colt or Trevor-Ralph makes a stronger combo then Colt-Ralph... Tubby will make the change.

Or even Colt-Trevor-Ralph... which is probably the least likely, but I expect to see those three on the court together at times.

Tubby has played them together already this year. But it seems unlikely to continue as long as Mbakwe is in the equation. If Ralph doesn't pick up his game Coulton will start.

From Tubby's Tipoff, and what I saw of last season, I think Colt probably should start. When he's on his game, he brings a level of physicality and downright nastiness that this team has sorely lacked. Plus, he can score gritty points, and he'll get some rebounds. Ralph doesn't have that nasty streak, despite a clear edge in athleticism and technique. However, my guess is that although Tubby will start the season with Ralph and Colt starting, that it'll be Ralph and Mbakwe by the end of the year, unless Colton makes it impossible to keep him out of the starting lineup.

On occasion maybe we will see all three start.

Ralph at Small Forward - (he was part of the 3 point shooting contest)
Trevor at Power Forward &
Colton at Center

That would be a formidable front line.

No way we see Ralph at small forward. Shooting is irrelevant. He wouldn't be able to defend other small forwards from the perimeter.

On defense - they could play zone and have Ralph out on top - I think he has played there before.

ralph is very versitile though, he can rebound and block shots along with his new found range. Actually he gave devoe a run for his money only losing by like 2 in the contest. if he could put the ball on the floor he would be a leuer type forsure.

From Tubby's Tipoff, and what I saw of last season, I think Colt probably should start. When he's on his game, he brings a level of physicality and downright nastiness that this team has sorely lacked. Plus, he can score gritty points, and he'll get some rebounds. Ralph doesn't have that nasty streak, despite a clear edge in athleticism and technique. However, my guess is that although Tubby will start the season with Ralph and Colt starting, that it'll be Ralph and Mbakwe by the end of the year, unless Colton makes it impossible to keep him out of the starting lineup.

Gosh, I sure hope Tubby doesn't bring Mbakwe off the bench, but I have a feeling he will. Fans have been waiting a year and a half to see this monster play, and then when the season starts, we'll have to wait to see him until the second "wave" of players hits the floor. It's a little frustrating from a fan's standpoint, but I guess Tubby knows best.

While its fun to name starters, it seems like that's not as critical when it comes to Tubby's style. Its who is on the court at the end of the game.

While its fun to name starters, it seems like that's not as critical when it comes to Tubby's style. Its who is on the court at the end of the game.

One would think that the 7 "starters" might average close to 25 mins PT and 3 or 4 frosh might average 5 or 10 minutes PT per game.

Gophers have 2 F, 2 C, and 3 G capable of starting. The frosh have F (Hollins), C (Walker), and g (Armelin) who will be quality (or decent, if U prefer) substitutes off the bench.

Wouldnt we have a front line

with Trevor and Colt and Ralph all in at one time LOL. Slow but strong!!! Tubby does seem to have a preference for Ralph I will say that.

best lineup

I think the best starting lineup would be:
1 Nolen
2 Joseph
3 HOff
4 Trevor
5 Colt

Bench:
Ralph
Rodney
Hollins
Walker

I'd prefer Ralph and Rodney to come off the bench as they can play multiple positions. Ralph can play the 4 or 5, while Colt is pretty much a 5. Rodney can play 3,2, and 4 if going small and pressing. Like others I think Colt would have to earn all conference to start over Ralph.

I think the best starting lineup would be:
1 Nolen
2 Joseph
3 HOff
4 Trevor
5 Colt

Bench:
Ralph
Rodney
Hollins
Walker

I'd prefer Ralph and Rodney to come off the bench as they can play multiple positions. Ralph can play the 4 or 5, while Colt is pretty much a 5. Rodney can play 3,2, and 4 if going small and pressing. Like others I think Colt would have to earn all conference to start over Ralph.

That is the line-up I am leaning towards at the moment as well. Colton won't start though. Funny how everyone acknowledges that he's outplayed Ralph but knows he won't start. Rodney is an ideal 6th man. He can come in off the bench and make plays on both ends like Marvin Williams did for UNC.

My prediction:

Starting line-up:

1 Nolen
2 Devoe
3 Hoffarber
4 Mbakwe
5 Ralph

Crunch time line-up:

1 Devoe
2 Hoffarber
3 Rodney
4 Mbakwe
5 Iverson

I think Colton should start, but he probably won't...here is my guess at Tubby's opening day rotation:

1) Nolen
2) Joseph
3) Hoffarber
4) Mbakwe
5) RSIII

-----Bench----- (in order of PT)

Rodney
Colton
Hollins
Chip
Mo

I think that is the 10 man rotation. I only put Rodney ahead of Colton in PT because Colton sometimes has random games where he only plays 15 mns, normally because of foul trouble.

Rouser is right on.

And I'll add one thing. With Tubby its all about the progress of the game and it is more significant who ends the game. Also, each game and each opponent will require a different set of skills, a possible different line-up, to finish with a win. It will also depend on how each player is doing each game and how many fouls they have at the end.

That said, Tubby seems really attached to starting Iverson and Sampson together. Why not add Mbakwe into that starting five. Maybe Sampson can't guard the opposition's wing but Mbakwe can! Start Nolen, Joseph, Mbakwe, Iverson, Sampson. Upon first foul or second turnover between Nolen, Joseph and Mbakwe, send in the Hoff!

Let us all remember that Ralph is the returning leading rebounder, shot blocker, and third leading scorer from a NCAA tournament team. He also was also second in field goal percentage, and third in assists .

i actually love the idea of trying mbakwe, sampson, and iverson in the starting lineup, vapor, but i doubt tubby would do it. we would demolish on the boards and get any shot we wanted in the post...and like you said, just sub in hoff/rodney if anyone picks up a couple quick fouls.

I don't know why people don't want them playing side by side. Seems to me they had some success with that. The real question is whether Tubby goes with 2 platoons again. I agree with whoever said there are 7 front-line guys. So he might run 2 platoons in and out in the 1st half, but in the 2nd then you might see some different combinations. But whatever, Sampson and Iverson will be on the court together a good bit.

Odds Colton starts over Ralph?

I don't get the hangup over who starts. Starting lineups at this level for each specific game are based on the opponent's strengths and weaknesses. Welcome to the big-time.

There's no way Colton should start and there's no way playing Ralph, Colton and Trevor together would be a good idea. Total overkill on bigs. Trevor looks to be a pure, physical PF. I can't think of a better compliment for a lanky, shot-blocker who lacks strength (ralph). Let iverson come of the bench.

No way we see Ralph at small forward. Shooting is irrelevant. He wouldn't be able to defend other small forwards from the perimeter.

I agree Ralph can't guard the small forward, from what I have seen I see no reason why Trevor couldn't. I don't see how you don't play Colt and Ralph together. It seems to me you go with what works and that worked last year.

where are the shooters?

I would play a zone or a box and one on Devoe Joseph and you have no outside shooting. We really have only two proven 3pt shooters: Hoff and Joseph. I have hope that Hollins can be the third. You will need to have both of those guys on the floor for major minutes or teams will just zone us.

My prediction:

Starting line-up:

1 Nolen
2 Devoe
3 Hoffarber
4 Mbakwe
5 Ralph

Crunch time line-up:

1 Devoe
2 Hoffarber
3 Rodney
4 Mbakwe
5 Iverson

I think this is most likely what will happen. I do think there is a chance that Tubby brings Nolen off the bench, as Devoe clearly showed himself to be the superior point guard at the end of last season. Nolen fit the profile of a high energy bench player, and quite frankly, he isn't one of the five best players on the team.

I do think that Sampson will start over Iverson, but not necessarily because Tubby views him as the more valuable player. Ralph has a tendency to drift out of games mentally, so getting him into the game from the tip has value. Conversely, Colton is the more foul-prone of the two, and sitting for the first five minutes allows him to come into the game against a fatigued opponent and utilize his physicality.

Top Bottom