OC Candidates- Post Sanford

Promote Simon to play-caller, promote Patterson to QB coach and Co-Offensive Coordinator. Then go out and find a newly available TE coach who is a TREMENDOUS recruiting ace!
And who's won Natty's....

I'm sure everyone here has a favorite to replace Sanford. As for me, I'll be optimistic about whoever it is as long as he doesn't give Robb Smith a chance to run an offense, even though offenses tend to score a f*** ton of points when he's in the stadium.

I know Matt Simon seems like a no-brainer, but the OC also has to be able to recruit at a high level.
I'm concerned that this may be the reason he was passed over the first time and why Sanford was in charge of QB recruiting.

I know Matt Simon seems like a no-brainer, but the OC also has to be able to recruit at a high level.
I'm concerned that this may be the reason he was passed over the first time and why Sanford was in charge of QB recruiting.
Agree with your assessment on recruiting angle - although I’m not sure what type of high-level QB recruiting candidate we could get.
Fresno State (Ryan Grubb) - Wake Forest (Ruggiero) and Nevada (Mumme) have had nice years. Grubb grew up in IA, has coached OL/RB/QBs in his career and is currently making $305k. Might be an interesting candidate outside of Simon? Just throwing names out there and nothing more. Ruggiero is Broyles Finalist and Mumme was Broyles semi-finalist - Mumme is the “Air Raid”though and maybe Ruggiero would be considered for a HC position somewhere?

Agree with your assessment on recruiting angle - although I’m not sure what type of high-level QB recruiting candidate we could get.
Fresno State (Ryan Grubb) - Wake Forest (Ruggiero) and Nevada (Mumme) have had nice years. Grubb grew up in IA, has coached OL/RB/QBs in his career and is currently making $305k. Might be an interesting candidate outside of Simon? Just throwing names out there and nothing more. Ruggiero is Broyles Finalist and Mumme was Broyles semi-finalist - Mumme is the “Air Raid”though and maybe Ruggiero would be considered for a HC position somewhere?
Guessing Grubb will follow DeBoer from Fresno to Washington now, and will get a nice pay raise with it

Give to whomever was involved at the end of the year - Simon, or ?. If PJF wants to go back to Kirk I wouldn’t complain…

I just don't see how it's not Simon. Minnesota guy. Already has a long relationship with our QB and WRs. Saves a bit of money as well so we can pay Rossi extra and try and keep him.
I don't think it's Simon, unless he's been a lot more involved in the last month or two than we all know

Simon says what Simon wants.

I am concerned about the Wide Receivers' lack of synchronization with the QB.

The lack of production could be on Sanford Jr.'s run-heavy offense and neglecting to develop the passing game. IMHO, you have to be able to be run-heavy, pass-heavy, or balanced depending on the opponent. Sanford Jr.'s one-size-fits-all approach made the Gophers very predictable.

Something to keep in mind is Fleck has previously wanted his OC to also be his QB coach. So Simon would not only be a first time play caller/OC but he also would be a first time QB coach. Not arguing against Simon, just pointing out Fleck's history.

It's also been speculated that a lot of the truly baffling stuff in terms of run/pass decisions has been Fleck and not the OC. If that is the case, then we'll need to temper our expectations with whoever gets the OC job.

Would people be opposed to bringing back Kirk Ciarrocca? Offense was great under him, had good teams at Western Michigan, him and PJ go way back. Tanner would know the system. Definitely understand if people want to move in a different direction, but it wouldn’t be the worst move to me.

Would people be opposed to bringing back Kirk Ciarrocca? Offense was great under him, had good teams at Western Michigan, him and PJ go way back. Tanner would know the system. Definitely understand if people want to move in a different direction, but it wouldn’t be the worst move to me.
Your girlfriend jilted you for a different lover boy who ended up dumping her curbside.

You were crushed. Are you man enough to take her back if you really love her? S&x was really good in the words of Jon Johnston. Would your trust issues win out?

I think most fans would welcome him back, I would just be surprised based on how his departure went down.

I don’t think Ruggiero leaves Clawson for another OC position.

I'm sure Fleck already has a plan.
Yup. I agree with this.

I've got nothing against Simon but when you run an organization and you promote from within, it still leaves you short a man. You better be damn sure that guy is better than someone that's obtainable from the outside.

I think this is an attractive enough of a job that Fleck can get someone who would be a home run type of hire. This is an important decision in the forward progress of the program. If it ends up being Simon and he turns out great, FANTASTIC, but I would be disappointed if other options were not at least strongly considered before making that move.

Seems Ciarrocca is perhaps on path to be the new Gordie Shaw.

I think most fans would welcome him back, I would just be surprised based on how his departure went down.
I mean, with the standards of how head coaches bolt via a hasty text and showing up in another town later that day giving a press conference, does an assistant owe any loyalty or notice at all?

Yup. I agree with this.

I've got nothing against Simon but when you run an organization and you promote from within, it still leaves you short a man. You better be damn sure that guy is better than someone that's obtainable from the outside.

I think this is an attractive enough of a job that Fleck can get someone who would be a home run type of hire. This is an important decision in the forward progress of the program. If it ends up being Simon and he turns out great, FANTASTIC, but I would be disappointed if other options were not at least strongly considered before making that move.
Was Rossi a home run hire? No, don't mean now in retrospect. Then, when he was named.

Yup. I agree with this.

OTOH bringing in an outsider that doesn’t understand the various personalities, capabilities, strengths and weaknesses (of players in this case), internal politics, culture, or other aspects of the organization can be detrimental and even catastrophic if well-qualified individuals are passed over or the new honcho is a bad fit/bull in a china shop/friend or family member. We don’t really know the situation here and we’re all waiting to find out what direction PJF elects to go.

Top Bottom