OC Candidates- Post Sanford

mep3017

Reaction score
What are the odds that Fleck promotes from within and selects QC Assistant Brian Sheppard?

Coaching Experience
2020-present: Minnesota - Offensive Quality Control
2018-19: VMI - Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks
2017: Northern Arizona - Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks
2013-16: Indiana State - Assistant Head Coach / Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks
2012 :Williamette - Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks
2011: West Virginia Wesleyan - Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks
2010: UCLA - Tight Ends, Graduate Assistant
2007-09: New Mexico State - Graduate Assistant
2006: Tulsa - Quality Control, Assistant Quarterbacks

What are the odds that Fleck promotes from within and selects QC Assistant Brian Sheppard?

Coaching Experience
2013-16: Indiana State - Assistant Head Coach / Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks
0%

Coaching Experience
Welcome to the board Brian!

Go get Lincoln Riley's brother.

He was the OC/QB coach at SMU the last couple of years. Sonny Dykes is moving on to Texas Tech. They actually run the ball 50% of the time (which might not be enough for PJ), but they have had good offenses and he has done a nice job with the QBs.

I just don't see how it's not Simon. Minnesota guy. Already has a long relationship with our QB and WRs. Saves a bit of money as well so we can pay Rossi extra and try and keep him.
And the precedent is Rossi, himself!

Promote within, and watch him work magic.

I'm not against Simon and he's got track record, but our Wr's this year were an issue...just saying

I think if its internal it's either Patterson or Simon. Entirely possible that after the auburn game Fleck told Simon the job was his if he wanted it and at the time Simon said no but will say yes this time.

It definitely felt like someone else was calling the last 2 games. If so, they may be the leader if the race for the position.

Whoever called the last three games should get the nod. I know the favorite idea is that Simon called those games, but there is a non-zero chance it was Patterson with his past OC experience. Promote whoever called those games, whether it was Simon or Patterson.

Well, partially because our #1 was hurt half the year. Another 4 games, we decided to barely throw the ball. Both have to be factored in.
True, but I was bit disappointed with options beyond Crab

I still like Simon however, I trust PJ

Well, partially because our #1 was hurt half the year. Another 4 games, we decided to barely throw the ball. Both have to be factored in.
Also Wright was not getting in much or targeted much.

I'm not against Simon and he's got track record, but our Wr's this year were an issue...just saying
Three of our top WRs also had issues. CAB was banged up most of the year and missed significant time. Jackson was banged up. Wright had a load of personal stuff.

But you're right, at the end of the day production is really all that matters. We didn't have other players step up and take those spots and we have used a lot of scholarships on receivers who weren't productive.

The question is the other seasons were just a product of landing two super stars or if this season was a mirage.

Promote Simon to play-caller, promote Patterson to QB coach and Co-Offensive Coordinator. Then go out and find a newly available TE coach who is a TREMENDOUS recruiting ace!
I like the idea of Patterson as co-offensive coordinator in, like, a mentoring position. His Juco offenses we're great and he could be a good person for Simon to lean on of needed.

Yep, plus then we'd have Kill, Fleck, and Brew all on the same field next year.

My chili is boiling!!!!
agree. everywhere Brew has gone he's done a good job recruiting. and his rah rah attitude might be just the vibe PJ wants. All the catch phrases all the time

agree. everywhere Brew has gone he's done a good job recruiting. and his rah rah attitude might be just the vibe PJ wants. All the catch phrases all the time
Not a great HC, but it is telling that everyone likes his energy, even after those years.

Top Bottom