Oars In The Water.

RogueGopher

Reaction score
Back in 2018, Northwestern started their season 1-3 with home losses to Duke and Akron.
They ended up winning the Big Ten West.

Losing to BG hurts, sucks, embarrassing, whatever you wnat to say about it.
It's still just one game.
Everything is in front of this Minnesota team.

Oars in the water.

We really need to run the next five. If we do that, we are in control of our own destiny and can still have a very special year.

Back in 2018, Northwestern started their season 1-3 with home losses to Duke and Akron.

Oars in the water.

Yup. Fact is that this game does not count against our Big Ten record. We know what they can do when they aren't goofing off.

Fun fact from yesterday.

Someone at a GT site noted our loss yesterday took over the "worst loss of the year" (by spread), which has been held to now by them for 2021 from a game of theirs a few weeks ago.

They were happy to now hold second place on this stat.

Not progress.

Vent vent vent vent vent vent vent vent

sorry to be so blunt, but yesterday felt like a kick in the nuts.

BG does not have to be the end of the season, or means that the season is derailed.

BUT - that all depends on how the team AND the coaches respond this week. If the Gophers come out, play well and beat Purdue - or even lose in a competitive game, that will change the tone.

But - If the Gophers lay another egg against Purdue, then it will be Defcon 4 - full-out panic time, and the rest of the season has the potential to become truly ugly.

Oars in the water.
That NW team would never in a million years get physically beat up by the likes of Bowling Green.

We are toast. I'm already thinking next year. Looking at the younger guys. I wish we could insert a young qb.

In 2018 Fleck reached a crossroads decision on defense. He stood up and made the hard decision, replacing Rob Smith with Joe Rossi. Today, he is at that same place with the offense.

Simon must be installed as game planner and play caller.

My oars are still in the water, there is far more to like about PJ then to dislike. That being said, the fact that he is 0-17 at Minnesota when trailing at halftime is a troubling trend. It’s almost as if he is not learning from his past mistakes, or more likely he is letting his ego get in the way from making the necessary adjustments.

I had a lingering bad taste in mouth all day yesterday after the game. Two things.
1) I'm tired of hearing its 100% on me (Fleck). Do something about it then in my opinion.
2) Yes the season is not a wash out. We need to play better football though or it will be a wash out.

That NW team would never in a million years get physically beat up by the likes of Bowling Green.

We are toast. I'm already thinking next year. Looking at the younger guys. I wish we could insert a young qb.

Um, they lost to AKRON. They are historically worse than Bowling Green. Get a f-ing grip, newb.

BG does not have to be the end of the season, or means that the season is derailed.

BUT - that all depends on how the team AND the coaches respond this week. If the Gophers come out, play well and beat Purdue - or even lose in a competitive game, that will change the tone.

But - If the Gophers lay another egg against Purdue, then it will be Defcon 4 - full-out panic time, and the rest of the season has the potential to become truly ugly.
DEFCON 4 is actually a state of non-emergency. 1 is the most alert and ready and serious. 5 is the least.

Gophers should win at Purdue, but they've been flat two out of four games so far, which doesn't bode well. I'd love to see another QB get a shot - often QBs off the bench ignite a team (as Notre Dame Saturday). Would have been interesting to see Cole play the second half -or Zack. I think we would have won, but Fleck is too stubborn to pull his starting QB, the way a baseball coach would pull a faltering pitcher.

Um, they lost to AKRON. They are historically worse than Bowling Green. Get a f-ing grip, newb.
That was a fluke. They weren't physically dominated at all. Yesterday was no fluke whatsoever.

We could have lost worse if not for that gift fumble as they were going in.

Wild guess:

- Ohio State was like the Super Bowl, so high degree of effort, high degree of focus
- Miami OH was a huge let down in strength of opponent, they thought they'd roll over them, so they were lax
- the Miami game was a wake up, and Colorado had played TA&M tough, so back to high effort, high focus
- with the big win, they again thought they'd roll lowly, young BG, and back to lax

Hopefully then, another huge wake up call, and back on the road, Big Ten game, they'll be back to high effort and focus.

It certainly isn't the end all, be all for the season. It's still early and there's plenty of time to turn things around. Here are some examples of Big Ten teams that experienced a loss to a team not at the Power 5 level, that ended up bouncing back.
  • 2013 Iowa, lost to Northern Illinois, and went on to finish 8-5 with an Outback Bowl appearance.
  • 2016 Iowa, lost to North Dakota State, and finished 8-5 with an Outback Bowl appearance.
  • 2016 Northwestern, lost to Western Illinois and Western Michigan and finished 7-6 with a Pinstripe Bowl win.
  • 2018 Northwestern, lost to Akron and finished 9-5 with a division title and a Holiday Bowl win.
  • 2018 Wisconsin, lost to BYU and finished 8-5 with a Pinstripe Bowl win.
The margin for error will certainly be smaller, but opportunities are there to get wins.

Oars in the water? Yeah, I will be back on October 16 with high hopes of sending the Corn Shuckers home sad. Hopefully our "O" line and "OC" find their game between now and then.

Today I am going with the mantra that it is "all for entertainment"....

A couple of weekends in the woods between now and October 16 will do me some good.

In 2018 Fleck reached a crossroads decision on defense. He stood up and made the hard decision, replacing Rob Smith with Joe Rossi. Today, he is at that same place with the offense.

Simon must be installed as game planner and play caller.
We smell something burning inside the house. It is Mike Sanford Jr. Let's not wait for a fire to start.

That was a fluke. They weren't physically dominated at all. Yesterday was no fluke whatsoever.

We could have lost worse if not for that gift fumble as they were going in.

Akron scored 39 POINTS on Northwestern (including 36 in the 2nd half) and you're calling THAT a fluke? Your story keeps losing water quickly. They also lost to a Duke team who went 3-5 in the ACC. What's your excuse for that?

Yup. Ready to move on

I'm going pj rethinks his non conference approach next season.

Season and our goals still there. This can still be fun season, talent is there.

Wild guess:

- Ohio State was like the Super Bowl, so high degree of effort, high degree of focus
- Miami OH was a huge let down in strength of opponent, they thought they'd roll over them, so they were lax
- the Miami game was a wake up, and Colorado had played TA&M tough, so back to high effort, high focus
- with the big win, they again thought they'd roll lowly, young BG, and back to lax

Hopefully then, another huge wake up call, and back on the road, Big Ten game, they'll be back to high effort and focus.
Hopefully. Inconsistency isn't good

But I'm going be take optimistic approach

Doesn't mean I'm not embarrassed by b yesterday.

This is a weak mindset

This is a weak mindset

That guy can't actually be a real fan. Nobody who cares is already moved onto next season after a non-conference loss, ESPECIALLY when we just shut out a P5 team on the road last week. The team has been wildly inconsistent so far, but I'd argue we have still looked better overall than we did in the 2019 non-conference.

We take care of business in the Big Ten games and all our goals are in front of us. Plain and simple.

That guy can't actually be a real fan. Nobody who cares is already moved onto next season after a non-conference loss, ESPECIALLY when we just shut out a P5 team on the road last week. The team has been wildly inconsistent so far, but I'd argue we have still looked better overall than we did in the 2019 non-conference.

We take care of business in the Big Ten games and all our goals are in front of us. Plain and simple.
I'm not sure he even watches much football. Nothing wrong with not watching much football but ... uh Norwestern? Weird choice.

Top Bottom