Number of Big Ten Wins -- pre-season edition

Number of wins in conference season for Gophers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
10- and we will finally be able to see them play in the BIG tourney on Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should this vote be retaken?

I'm going to do another poll right before the conference season to see how perception has changed, if at all.

Final pre-season tally.......Average wins = 7.8

Are you eliminating Lynch or Curry (or both) from your analysis? I see three post players when you add in Murphy, but we may mean different things with the word "post." If anything, the close to the basket players are the biggest improvement on the team.

Curry might be a big ten player in the future but would not start for an ncaa tournament team as a freshman. Murphy is clearly a big ten player, and I guess he fits most as a 4. He was my one. Lynch was not recruited by any power conference teams out of high school and thus played at Illinois State. As I can recall he had a Drake offer and maybe a La Salle offer?! After the first week I must say I am pleasantly surprised at his defense, but he's not had any tough matchup so far and Lynch would also not be starting at center for an ncaa tournament team. Even so, yes, Lynch replacing Konate is the biggest improvement last yr vs. this year.

The schedule is just BRUTAL!! How many games even after a 5 and 0 Start will we be favored in?

Mich St Home Underdog Top 25
Purdue Away Underdog Top 25
NW Away Underdog always hard and they are good
Ohio State Home Underdog #38 votes
Michigan St Away Underdog Top 25 AGAIN twice in 5 games
Penn State Away maybe it is a couple points...even
Wisconsin Home Underdog Top 25
Ohio St Away Underdog #38 again--twice in 5 games
Maryland Home Underdog Top 25
Illinois Away Underdog but 2nd best opportunity thru 10 games
Iowa Home hopefully even or plus
Rutgers Away hopefully plus
Indiana Home Underdog Top 25 at #3
Michigan Home Underdog Top 25
Maryland Away Underdog Top 25
Penn State Home Slight Favorite?
Nebraska Home Hopefully Favorite
Wisconsin Away Underdog Top 25

So, that is six somewhat even games...how much pressure is that? ... to be expected or HAVE to win all the games kinda close to get to 6 wins? Sheesh
If we lose one or two of the 6 and score an upset we are still at 5 or 6 wins .... accomplishing that should get coach of the year votes
We can be 0 and 10 and have coached well, and played decent... how at that point do you find the confidence to bounce Iowa and win on the road even at Rutgers...
Pitino can absolutely coach!!! No doubt in my mind!! But my gosh the task is set up sooo difficult.
I really want him to be here next year. I am just worried the AD will only see the losses... maybe we shock the world but 9 games versus Top 25 teams, 2 games versus Ohio St who may be Top 25 when we play them that'd be 11 games out of 18 ... remaining 7 best chances...4 are on the road... leaves Iowa who is not a gimmee by any means, Penn St and Nebraska at Home
5 wins with the brutal beginning schedule and Pitino should be celebrated! 6 or more wins and Pitino is a magician!!!
Talk about mental toughness, imagine the task of staying positive and confident with that gauntlet! Hopefully, we shock 1 of the first two games and have the 3's go in off the backboard all day versus NW and the whole thing looks different at 2 and 1.

Just win a few of the early ones and the sky is the limit!

The schedule is just BRUTAL!! How many games even after a 5 and 0 Start will we be favored in?

So, that is six somewhat even games...how much pressure is that? ... to be expected or HAVE to win all the games kinda close to get to 6 wins? Sheesh
If we lose one or two of the 6 and score an upset we are still at 5 or 6 wins .... accomplishing that should get coach of the year votes
We can be 0 and 10 and have coached well, and played decent... how at that point do you find the confidence to bounce Iowa and win on the road even at Rutgers...
Pitino can absolutely coach!!! No doubt in my mind!! But my gosh the task is set up sooo difficult.
I really want him to be here next year. I am just worried the AD will only see the losses... maybe we shock the world but 9 games versus Top 25 teams, 2 games versus Ohio St who may be Top 25 when we play them that'd be 11 games out of 18 ... remaining 7 best chances...4 are on the road... leaves Iowa who is not a gimmee by any means, Penn St and Nebraska at Home
5 wins with the brutal beginning schedule and Pitino should be celebrated! 6 or more wins and Pitino is a magician!!!
Talk about mental toughness, imagine the task of staying positive and confident with that gauntlet! Hopefully, we shock 1 of the first two games and have the 3's go in off the backboard all day versus NW and the whole thing looks different at 2 and 1.

That's why prior to the season I thought 2-7 at the turn, followed by 5-4 in the second half. If Gophers are 4-5 or better at the halfway mark, look out, especially if they were 11-2 (or better) in the non-conference.

It's why you take it one at a time. The road games will be difficult, but we just blew out a middle of the road SEC team with that conferences pre season player of the year. We will be a tough out at home for anyone in the Big Ten

Curry might be a big ten player in the future but would not start for an ncaa tournament team as a freshman. Murphy is clearly a big ten player, and I guess he fits most as a 4. He was my one. Lynch was not recruited by any power conference teams out of high school and thus played at Illinois State. As I can recall he had a Drake offer and maybe a La Salle offer?! After the first week I must say I am pleasantly surprised at his defense, but he's not had any tough matchup so far and Lynch would also not be starting at center for an ncaa tournament team. Even so, yes, Lynch replacing Konate is the biggest improvement last yr vs. this year.

Curry "might" be a Big Ten player in the future? There aren't any NCAA tournament teams that Lynch would start for? Am I missing something here?

Hopefully you are correct sir

That's why prior to the season I thought 2-7 at the turn, followed by 5-4 in the second half. If Gophers are 4-5 or better at the halfway mark, look out, especially if they were 11-2 (or better) in the non-conference.

I am optimistic...the reality is that the task is very difficult. But certainly possible.

I'm being optimistic so I say 6. I'd be shocked if we win ANY of the first five big ten games, we then play Penn St. away, and then three more likely losses. At 1-8, Pitino will be a dead man walking and the fans won't care. We have one big ten post player. One. You can only ride good guard play so far.

Might prove to be "dumb post of the year". Lynch just outplayed the SEC preseason player of the year. He may not be Wilt Chamberlain, but he is a serviceable D-1 post. We all agree Murphy is legit. Curry might end up to be the best of the three. Athletic, good rebounder, soft shooting touch, and smart player. Definitely three B10 post players. Then, to have a 6-10 athletic (albeit clueless) guy with a whole year of experience starting as your fourth post guy (Konate), I would have to say this is the most improved part of our Gopher bunch.

Sorry, shouldn't have said "dumb". Maybe "ignorant" might have been better. Hindsight is always 20-20 and we've had the chance to see these guys a few times more now.

I say nine wins. And at the end of the year when we post 14 wins and Pitino is named coach-of-the year, my prediction will be the dumb post of the year.

10 wins if we stay healthy. Big IF. Otherwise 8.

RPI site currently has us at 4 wins in conference. Considering how well we're playing, I'll give us 8 wins. I'd certainly be down with 10 or more as well though.

RPI site currently has us at 4 wins in conference. Considering how well we're playing, I'll give us 8 wins. I'd certainly be down with 10 or more as well though.

What RPI site?

RPI forecast (based on Sagarin) has us at 10-8 in conference.

What RPI site?

RPI forecast (based on Sagarin) has us at 10-8 in conference.

I've always used RealTimeRPI.com, but then again I wasn't really aware (at least I don't remember ever use) of RPI Forecast. Thanks for the info. Sagarin is obviously a reputable source.

The Gophers played close games with every ranked team they faced last year and beat #6 Maryland. As long as they are healthy, they are obviously much more talented this year. They can play with anyone in the B1G.

I picked 10-11 wins and would stick with it in a re-vote.

Top Bottom