Now that the screaming is over.....

metrolax

Reaction score
Can we PLEASE find somebody on the roster for punt returns????

Its not Craig James' fault. Its the coach who keeps sending him out there.
His confidence has been shot since we waived off his return last week, and
its obvious. PR is a very difficult thing (I used to do it) and you cannot
have a shaky guy back there who's unsure of himself.

I shudder every time he gets back there.....

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Roger that! Thanks for the info. We all must pray for Craig now, then.

Craig was very good last year. The team needs him to get his mojo back!

yes....his confidence is definitely shot right now. Thinking too much.

I hadn't thought of him being terrible back there until today. How many had he fumbled before today? If I remember right he had trouble at our bowl game other than that he seemed ok.

I have noy given up will not give up on this man. He's better than all his haters.

After was nullified his TD return with a fair catch wave last week, it was definitely
messing with his head. He was scary last week, and I thought they would put
somebody else back there, and it just got worse.

This week just validated my concerns. If you've returned punts before, you know
what you're looking for. WAY different from kickoff returns.

Now we've found out he's our last resort. Prayers this week!

Can we PLEASE find somebody on the roster for punt returns????

Its not Craig James' fault. Its the coach who keeps sending him out there.
His confidence has been shot since we waived off his return last week, and
its obvious. PR is a very difficult thing (I used to do it) and you cannot
have a shaky guy back there who's unsure of himself.

I shudder every time he gets back there.....
Maybe you have some eligibility left . I have seen Marcus Sherels butcher a few punts and he is doing it in the NFL now. It is something to watch but you can't all of a sudden say James can't be the returner from a one bad day.Probably should have used another guy today because he was struggling and decide on next week's guy from practice this week.

I don't buy that he is the only guy that can do it. Take trying to get a return out of it and just put someone back there that can fair catch the ball everytime. There has to be a WR or DB on the roster that can catch a punt. James muffed 3 punts (one of them wasn't his fault) and we were really lucky on the one that was ruled a touchback as that could have been a disaster.

The defense was a little shaky this week but the only real negative coming out of this game is the mess that Special Teams was today. Kickoff, Kickoff Return, and Punt Return all had really rough games. Nearly spoiled a great drive by the offense by letting them get a huge runback on the ensuing kickoff.

He's had two clunkers in a row. If he doesn't get better, or if they cannot find somebody that can
at least hold onto the ball, it will start losing games.

Since the original post, I have since heard that he's basically their last resort back there
due to injuries.....

I don't buy that he is the only guy that can do it. Take trying to get a return out of it and just put someone back there that can fair catch the ball everytime. There has to be a WR or DB on the roster that can catch a punt. James muffed 3 punts (one of them wasn't his fault) and we were really lucky on the one that was ruled a touchback as that could have been a disaster.

What I can't imagine, with how sure you are that you know more than the Coaches, that you are not the coach yourself. How could Maturi not have seen the brilliance you have. OMFG how lucky we are to have you here on Gopherhole to set us straight.

Maybe you have some eligibility left . I have seen Marcus Sherels butcher a few punts and he is doing it in the NFL now. It is something to watch but you can't all of a sudden say James can't be the returner from a one bad day.Probably should have used another guy today because he was struggling and decide on next week's guy from practice this week.
Ha....yes you could say that about any punt returner, but James is having major issues back there. Probably mental at this point. Marcus Sherels punt returning is way out of James league.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It is mental at this point. I've been coaching adult athletes for over 25 years now, and I've seen this happen many times.

But again, this entire thread has its answer: He's their last resort because of injuries, according to Kill. I've been there,
when you need to fill somebody in and he's not very good option. You just do the best you can. Right now, if he's gonna be
back there, they need to really give him some attention this week.

Take it easy there, Philly. Legit question, James was horrible back there today, and I don't buy that 'second fumble was not his fault' bs; he misjudged that one badly and his last second correction took him right into a collision with other players.

Take it easy there, Philly. Legit question, James was horrible back there today, and I don't buy that 'second fumble was not his fault' bs; he misjudged that one badly and his last second correction took him right into a collision with other players.

Which is exactly where he should be because that is where the ball was landing. He had a very bad game, but that was not his fault.

James was also the one on the kickoff coverage team who left his lane and allowed that 56 yard return that almost cost the game. Left his lane, over pursued it to the middle, and watched #7 run right by him through the hole he created. Bad game to say the least for Mr. James.

On the penalty that some are attributing to Jeff Jones, the television announcers were pretty confident that the call was actually on #55 Everett Williams. On the bigger issue of punt returns, I found it interesting that KJ Maye was back with James on the last fumble. I felt like he was out there as a second returner, in which case he could have been the ONLY returner out there. It's also possible that he was never intended to actually field the punt himself.

JJ had a terrible penalty right in front of where I sit. He's in the doghouse deeper.

Gant looks like he's talented. Love the burst after he catches the ball.

On the penalty that some are attributing to Jeff Jones, the television announcers were pretty confident that the call was actually on #55 Everett Williams. On the bigger issue of punt returns, I found it interesting that KJ Maye was back with James on the last fumble. I felt like he was out there as a second returner, in which case he could have been the ONLY returner out there. It's also possible that he was never intended to actually field the punt himself.

TV broadcast team was by far the worst of the year. Hutchinson speaks as if he never played the game, nor does he seem to know any more about it than the average guy sitting at the bar. P-B-P guy didn't seem to know much about the teams, programs, or players. Sadly, Beth & Joey are better.

Top Bottom