Notre Dame to the Big Ten?

So states don't want to support colleges anymore (their right) but expect colleges to bail out fellow state schools?

I don't think that puts UCLA's move in jeopardy. Just might limit their gains from said move. And doesn't affect the B1G in any way.

Yeah, UCLA had to have been prepared for the possible fallouts, so I would not be surprised if they either have concessions for Cal already thought through or know that legally they are in good standing and there isn't much that can actually be done.

Once the Big Ten is eyeing 24 teams, Cal and UCLA will be reunited anyway.

Another possible reason the new TV being announced hasn't happened yet: there could be some real smoke to this idea that UCLA's spot is in jeopardy ...

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...explain-how-leaving-pac-12-big-ten-beneficial

In the wake of UCLA's departure to the Big Ten Conference alongside USC, California Gov. Gavin Newsom said Wednesday he demands an explanation, on behalf of the public, for just how the move will be beneficial for not just student-athletes but the history of the partnership with UC Berkeley.

"The first duty of every public university is to the people -- especially students," Newsom said in a statement to the Los Angeles Times at Wednesday's meeting of the University of California Board of Regents in San Francisco. "UCLA must clearly explain to the public how this deal will improve the experience for all its student-athletes, will honor its century-old partnership with UC Berkeley, and will preserve the histories, rivalries, and traditions that enrich our communities."

UCLA's and USC's announcement last month that they would move to the Big Ten in 2024 was a shock to the college football world, as it strengthened one conference and left the Pac-12 and its members in a vulnerable position. Since then, the Pac-12 has announced it is willing to expand and will begin negotiations for a new media rights agreement. While USC is a private institution, UCLA's status as a public school raised eyebrows regarding the move as a school under the University of California system.

According to the Times, an idea that has been floated includes the regents imposing an exit fee that UCLA would have to pay to UC Berkeley or, in another case, having UCLA share the ensuing Big Ten TV revenue windfall with Berkeley.
Not a chance. Just noise.

Another possible reason the new TV being announced hasn't happened yet: there could be some real smoke to this idea that UCLA's spot is in jeopardy ...
Nothing has ever materialized from these sort of political/legal challenges, even though they happen almost every time a school moves to a new conference. And this looks like a weak challenge; UCLA was actually on the verge of shutting down most of its non-revenue sports. And even the complainers are admitting UCLA has every right to move if they chose. If there wasn’t ultimately the political will to fight realignment in places like Oklahoma, Texas, Utah (where sports actually matter to voters enough to move the needle), there probably won’t be in California either.

Thanks for both your posts, I respect your opinions.

At the least, I don't think UCLA gets to move without having to "pay off" Cal in some way. Possibly an on-going revenue sharing.

https://www.si.com/college/ucla/new...y-demands-ucla-explain-pac-12-to-big-ten-move

New remarks from a top state figure have continued the discussion around the Bruins’ move to the Big Ten.

California Governor Gavin Newsom has spoken about UCLA’s conference switch from the Pac-12 to the Big Ten for the second time in a week. This time, the Bay Area native and an ex officio member of the Board of Regents for the University of California released a statement following the regents' meeting Wednesday.

“The first duty of every public university is to the people – especially students,” Newsom's statement read. “UCLA must clearly explain to the public how this deal will improve the experience for all its student-athletes, will honor its century-old partnership with UC Berkeley, and will preserve the histories, rivalries, and traditions that enrich our communities.”

Thanks for both your posts, I respect your opinions.

At the least, I don't think UCLA gets to move without having to "pay off" Cal in some way. Possibly an on-going revenue sharing.

https://www.si.com/college/ucla/new...y-demands-ucla-explain-pac-12-to-big-ten-move

New remarks from a top state figure have continued the discussion around the Bruins’ move to the Big Ten.

California Governor Gavin Newsom has spoken about UCLA’s conference switch from the Pac-12 to the Big Ten for the second time in a week. This time, the Bay Area native and an ex officio member of the Board of Regents for the University of California released a statement following the regents' meeting Wednesday.

“The first duty of every public university is to the people – especially students,” Newsom's statement read. “UCLA must clearly explain to the public how this deal will improve the experience for all its student-athletes, will honor its century-old partnership with UC Berkeley, and will preserve the histories, rivalries, and traditions that enrich our communities.”
It can be a nonconference game until Cal joins B1G in a few years. It gives the school athletics department additional revenue to impact all student-athletes.

I'm not so sure the Big Ten wants any more PAC schools, though ...

I think they think the biggest value and lowest hanging fruit are locked up in the ACC, and will bide their time.

The PAC schools are awesome schools, and there are big markets out there. But it's just different out there. Folks don't care about college sports, anywhere near as much.

Lot of transplants out west, who take their sports allegiances with them, particularly college.

I'm not so sure the Big Ten wants any more PAC schools, though...

I think they think the biggest value and lowest hanging fruit are locked up in the ACC, and will bide their time.

The PAC schools are awesome schools, and there are big markets out there. But it's just different out there. Folks don't care about college sports, anywhere near as much.

Lot of transplants out west, who take their sports allegiances with them, particularly college.
How many teams do you think the super conferences are going to have? If you get up to 24, there's no reason not to have a pod of 6 on the west coast with 6 former Pac-12 teams.

Top Bottom