Notre Dame to the Big Ten?

Wow.

I never thought in my lifetime we would see this. The Big Ten has dreamed of this, for a long time. And Notre Dame boosters have fought tooth and nail to keep football independence as part of the school's identity.

But adding USC has changed everything.

ND boosters are now spinning this as "we're not joining the Big Ten ... this is a brand new national, coast-to-coast conference stretching from New Jersey to California. It gives us national reach, which has always been our desire ... this is different".

Unbelievable how quickly this has all unfolded.

A Super Big Ten super conference will have a lot of negotiating power with sports media.

Just my opinion, but I don't see it happening. If I'm wrong, I'm sure I will be mocked which in this case I'd deserve.

I think Method Man said it best. Cash Rules Everything Around Me.

ND makes less TV money than Rutgers. They comin'. Their NBC deal ends in 2025 and that's when they make the move, though it gets announced way earlier. They will buy their way out of the ACC situation.

Some think the ACC will collapse and ND should wait for it but I doubt it. I think a couple of the football-first schools ditch for SEC but the ACC is still a strong academic and basketball league and will add a couple strong basketball schools (Kansas? Cincinnati?) and move forward.

Last edited:

I think Method Man said it best. Cash Rules Everything Around Me.

ND makes less TV money than Rutgers. They comin'. Their NBC deal ends in 2025 and that's when they make the move, though it gets announced way earlier. They will buy their way out of the ACC situation. Some think the ACC will collapse but I doubt it.
NBC wants to air a Big Ten game or two every week as part of the new media rights deal. They could easily renegotiate the Notre Dame agreement if they get a Big Ten game.

Notre Dame wouldn't need to worry about that contract.

ND football does not have to join any conference to be god's chosen team.
In fact joining any conference would dilute their brand as America's best loved team.
If you do not believe any of this bring up the subject to a ND alum.

lol. "God's chosen team". Unfortunately....I think Alabama is "God's chosen team".

And yes....there will be a time will ND will have to renounce their football independence. Even now....being an independent comes with setbacks. The lack of a conference championship game removes an opportunity for a marquee win for them. Not sure if it has bitten them yet....but there will be a time where they are left out in favor of conference champion. Not to mention that as conferences expand....so will the conference schedules. Maybe they'll still be able to schedule high end P5 teams on a yearly basis...but even teams like Alabama enjoy their "bye" weeks against FCS opponents. There will be a point when teams will have to decide if they want to add another tough matchup to an already brutal 10/11 game conference schedule. Especially once conferences start doing their own playoffs.

I was listening to an old radio broadcast from a hospital and I swear in the back ground I could hear someone say, "Join one for the Gipper".

beyond the money -

where this seems to be heading is two "Super-Conferences" - ESPN and the SEC - each with 18 or 20 teams.

those two conferences will dominate major D1 college FB. they will also have a huge influence on any future changes in the college football playoff system.

So, Notre Dame has to ask itself - even with all the history and prestige, does Notre Dame want to be on the outside looking in when the music stops and the two super-conferences have re-aligned?

the answer is no. the money is a bonus.

and in the B1G$ - Notre Dame can still play a lot of traditional opponents.

Gotta get to 20 so the next logo change is a simple B1GX2

I wonder, if the Big Ten got Notre Dame and Stanford .... would they actually go from 18 to 20?

Do Washington and Oregon bring enough TV value/viewers to maintain the per school rate at whatever it would be at 18? I'm not sure they do.

No one will mock you. It's not that important, but Notre Dame will join the Big Ten. It might happen this summer or it might happen in a couple summers, but it's happening.
I might not live that long so all will have to mock me in my grave.

dmtnt.JPG

NBC wants to air a Big Ten game or two every week as part of the new media rights deal. They could easily renegotiate the Notre Dame agreement if they get a Big Ten game.

Notre Dame wouldn't need to worry about that contract.
From Google: "Notre Dame is currently planted in position with an NBC deal through 2025, one which is reportedly worth $15 million annually"

I wonder, if the Big Ten got Notre Dame and Stanford .... would they actually go from 18 to 20?

Do Washington and Oregon bring enough TV value/viewers to maintain the per school rate at whatever it would be at 18? I'm not sure they do.
I'd take Cal over Oregon

A lot of people are talking about this coming down to two power conferences.

The money being tossed around for Big Ten could be substantially larger as a national network than the SEC.

Yes, SEC football may edge our Big Ten talent now, but if this new deal allows for pay-for-play for student athletes, suddenly top talent will be more likely to come to Big Ten schools.

If this deal allows you to throw $10 or $20 million at player salaries per team, suddenly the NIL imbalance isn't a problem anymore and the urge to compete with NIL money against a national machine seems unfruitful.

A lot of people are talking about this coming down to two power conferences.

The money being tossed around for Big Ten could be substantially larger as a national network than the SEC.

Yes, SEC football may edge our Big Ten talent now, but if this new deal allows for pay-for-play for student athletes, suddenly top talent will be more likely to come to Big Ten schools.

If this deal allows you to throw $10 or $20 million at player salaries per team, suddenly the NIL imbalance isn't a problem anymore and the urge to compete with NIL money against a national machine seems unfruitful.
This is exactly the huge elephant ... perhaps not quite yet in the room, but outside the house if you peek out the window.

All these huge dollar figures throw around right now, don't affect NIL at all.

But, as you said, if direct payment to players from the athletic dept comes to pass ... then absolutely these schools are suddenly going to need those direct dollars.

I'm not familiar with this school. Who?
It's a school northwest of the Twin Cities that apparently wins minor league football championships on a regular basis. The college football equivalent of winning the AAA World Series.

If Notre Dame doesn't come on board with all their sports, I'd like to dump them in hockey.

Top Bottom