Nothing Short of Greatness

That's not what I said. It will help retain some of the mid level players, but the elite players will still leave for Michigan/OSU/Notre Dame/SEC regardless of the facilities.

You said the U will always be at a disadvantage. I was just trying to point out that always is a very long time. Is it probable that 50 years from now the University of Minnesota will be considered a "helmet school"? No. But it is possible, IMO. And facilities upgrades like these increase the possibility even if it is only changing it from a 1 in 100 to a 1 in 90 chance.

I took his comment to mean that this is the next logical step now that the stadium is built. Not that we need an investment in the stadium.

This is exactly what I meant. Sorry fellas, now that I have read my own comment, I realize it is ambiguous at best.

You said the U will always be at a disadvantage. I was just trying to point out that always is a very long time. Is it probable that 50 years from now the University of Minnesota will be considered a "helmet school"? No. But it is possible, IMO. And facilities upgrades like these increase the possibility even if it is only changing it from a 1 in 100 to a 1 in 90 chance.
I believe the U will always be at a disadvantage, I feel no reasonable amount (barring some kind of Nike/Oregon connection) of facilities will overcome geography, small talent pool, and climate.

I believe the U will always be at a disadvantage, I feel no reasonable amount (barring some kind of Nike/Oregon connection) of facilities will overcome geography, small talent pool, and climate.

I agree with that regarding out of state players that it will only help us get more mid to mid-high players but I do believe it is reasonable to expect that these facilities will definitely help us beat out the Michigan's, ND's, OSU's and SEC teams more often for some of the big time in-state kids at least. We have beaten out those programs before with the facilities that we have anyways.

How has Nebraska done it through the years?

Well, made my donation. Full matching from my employer. Great timing, as this is our yearly giving drive at our company.

Does anyone know if this donation can be used towards your football parking level?

Well, made my donation. Full matching from my employer. Great timing, as this is our yearly giving drive at our company.

Does anyone know if this donation can be used towards your football parking level?

Congrats! And thank you! I also made a matching donation to this campaign through the website back on Monday. Same deal going on at my work.

To your question. Not sure. Probably best to ask that specific question of the Athletic Offices/Golden Gopher Fund Offices to get the true and accurate word one way or the other. i.e. Avoid the speculation you are likely to get on here.

How has Nebraska done it through the years?

Um, maybe the conference they previously played in had something to do with it? Pretty easy road trip from north Texas.

And the right coaches at the right time.

Um, maybe the conference they previously played in had something to do with it? Pretty easy road trip from north Texas.

And the right coaches at the right time.
Does Nebraska recruit heavily in TX? Seems like most of their marquee guys came from the coasts or in-state.

Does Nebraska recruit heavily in TX? Seems like most of their marquee guys came from the coasts or in-state.

They have 13 guys on their roster this year from TX. They have 59 from Nebraska, 6 from California, 7 from Florida.

In terms of "marquee" guys:

Tommy Armstrong (Texas)
Ameer Abdullah (Alabama)
Kenny Bell (Colorado)
Jordan Westerkamp (Illinois)
Randy Gregory (Indiana, Arizona Western CC)
Nate Gerry (South Dakota)
David Santos (Texas)

Comparatively, the Gophers have 38 from Minnesota on the roster, 11 from Texas, 2 from California, 13 from Florida.

They have 13 guys on their roster this year from TX. They have 59 from Nebraska, 6 from California, 7 from Florida.

In terms of "marquee" guys:

Tommy Armstrong (Texas)
Ameer Abdullah (Alabama)
Kenny Bell (Colorado)
Jordan Westerkamp (Illinois)
Randy Gregory (Indiana, Arizona Western CC)
Nate Gerry (South Dakota)
David Santos (Texas)

Comparatively, the Gophers have 38 from Minnesota on the roster, 11 from Texas, 2 from California, 13 from Florida.
I was thinking more along historic lines. Rozier was from NJ, Frazier from Florida, Crouch from Neb., etc.

Donation made.

I'll meet you guys in the High Five Room.

k9v2qg.jpg

Looks like those trick chairs from the Men in Black movie. Too late to change their minds?

Athletic Facilities Campaign Launched to Public

Time to start donating!

per Sid:

U building plans

Scott Ellison, associate athletic director for the Gophers, said that the university is making progress on construction of the new academic building.

“We have meetings next week to look at plans for the academic building,” said Ellison. “We have the architect, it’s BWBR, which is a local firm, and RDG which is out of Iowa.”

The academic building will be built on the site of the current outdoor track. Ellison said a site on the farm campus has yet to be chosen for the track, but it’s just a question of university officials deciding where it will be. However for one year, while the academic building is being erected, and the track is being built, an off-campus track will have to be utilized by Gophers athletes.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/282654211.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

U building plans

Scott Ellison, associate athletic director for the Gophers, said that the university is making progress on construction of the new academic building.

“We have meetings next week to look at plans for the academic building,” said Ellison. “We have the architect, it’s BWBR, which is a local firm, and RDG which is out of Iowa.”

The academic building will be built on the site of the current outdoor track. Ellison said a site on the farm campus has yet to be chosen for the track, but it’s just a question of university officials deciding where it will be. However for one year, while the academic building is being erected, and the track is being built, an off-campus track will have to be utilized by Gophers athletes.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/282654211.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Gotta think Hamline would be a good host. State is there for HS.

per Sid:

U building plans

Go Gophers!!

I guarantee you Scott Ellison did not use the term "farm campus". Only Sid would still call it that.

What's happening with fundraising? When are they gonna announce another huge donation from a local Fortune 500?

What's happening with fundraising? When are they gonna announce another huge donation from a location Fortune 500?

I too would like an update on how Lou Nanne and his team of fundraisers are doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.startribune.com/regents-will-review-plan-for-new-gophers-track-facility/392219321/

Track and Field facility solution is proposed-move the bubble to the silos:

The University of Minnesota Board of Regents will review a proposal at its next meeting Thursday on a $19 million relocation and construction project for the new men’s and women’s track and field facility.

The new track would be at the Athletes Village site on the East Bank. The Recreation Sports Bubble and softball field would be moved to the corner of 6th Street and 25th Avenue SE., where the grain elevators are located.

University President Eric Kaler recommends in the regent documents that the school purchase the land and demolish the grain elevators to create space for the recreational bubble, which will cost $6 million for relocation and construction.

About $13 million is needed for building the new track facility. The total cost of both projects wasn’t included in the 2017 annual capital budget, so an amendment must be requested during a future board meeting for the project to proceed.

Timetable for the final design is April 2017. The bubble relocation and track estimated completion dates are November 2017 and August 2018, respectively

Top Bottom