not one single person

Reaction score
on this board or the whole knows how to coach a football team. I bet there are less than 2 people on this board that work as hard as the coaches who coach college football. There are very few people with the courage to take a job with as much public scrutiny. How many of you have been the starting QB on a college football team?

like i said.

You and others should go over to the complex and see if you can apply.

on this board or the whole knows how to coach a football team. I bet there are less than 2 people on this board that work as hard as the coaches who coach college football. There are very few people with the courage to take a job with as much public scrutiny. How many of you have been the starting QB on a college football team?

And he is compensated very well for it. What courage does it take to accept a job where you get paid a million dollars a year and at the end of it the worst case scenario is you get fired and have a ton of cash in the bank. I actually know a lot of people that would have the courage to take a million dollar pay day for at worse some bad press occasionally. Let's be honest this is a low stress job for a BCS program compared to many in the country. If Brewster was in the SEC he would have for sale signs in his front yard right now, or why don't you ask Cosgrove about what it is like to work at a high profile job and not perform.

I guess we all have something in common with Brew then!!!

Ouch!

If the OP's point is valid, then we may as well not even go to games. Or talk about them. Or even play the games, since everyone else is so stupid and incapable of understand what is a fairly basic game. There are certainly complexities when you get into scheme but its not real hard to find the flaw in what teams are doing or failing at. When your OC, for example, has a game plan to simply throw it deep 20 times in a half, most people can figure out that he isn't exactly bringing his A game.

Actually I am a coach. I am Urban Meyer. Postin' from Florida on my Blackberry. You can call me Urbz.

I've always hated this line of thinking. I'm a Brewster backer and stand up for him most of the time, but please. Don't say we can't judge the job he's done because we've never coached or played (although some of us have).

I've never been a chef at a restaurant, but I can sure tell you if my steak is cooked right. I've never directed a movie, but I can sure tell you if an actor did a nice job with the role. I've never written a book, but I can tell you if a novel is entertaining. I've never anchored the television news, but I can sure tell you if someone is smooth on the broadcast.

And, I sure as hell have watched enough football and been around the game long enough to detect whether a team is well-coached or not. And, to be honest, this staff this year has left me scratching my head a few times.

thanks

You all have validated my point. By the way, there are many easier ways to make a million dollars a year than being a coach or athlete.

No gopherjay you have validated mine.

See I don't have to prove anything, I'll just throw out an assertion then randomly declare myself victor.

I have proven I am Urban Meyer.

No gopherjay you have validated mine.

See I don't have to prove anything, I'll just throw out an assertion then randomly declare myself victor.

I have proven I am Urban Meyer.

I agree. You are Urban Meyer. And anyone who doesn't agree is a hater, a moron and needs to get a clue!!1!

You all have validated my point. By the way, there are many easier ways to make a million dollars a year than being a coach or athlete.

Really please share these jobs. I am especially interested to hear where you can get a million dollar paying job by underperforming and not being qualified.

I've always hated this line of thinking. I'm a Brewster backer and stand up for him most of the time, but please. Don't say we can't judge the job he's done because we've never coached or played (although some of us have).

I've never been a chef at a restaurant, but I can sure tell you if my steak is cooked right. I've never directed a movie, but I can sure tell you if an actor did a nice job with the role. I've never written a book, but I can tell you if a novel is entertaining. I've never anchored the television news, but I can sure tell you if someone is smooth on the broadcast.

And, I sure as hell have watched enough football and been around the game long enough to detect whether a team is well-coached or not. And, to be honest, this staff this year has left me scratching my head a few times.

hey guess what I have never been president of the United States either but I am still capable of voting and evaluating a president and his policies.

And he is compensated very well for it. What courage does it take to accept a job where you get paid a million dollars a year and at the end of it the worst case scenario is you get fired and have a ton of cash in the bank. I actually know a lot of people that would have the courage to take a million dollar pay day for at worse some bad press occasionally. Let's be honest this is a low stress job for a BCS program compared to many in the country. If Brewster was in the SEC he would have for sale signs in his front yard right now, or why don't you ask Cosgrove about what it is like to work at a high profile job and not perform.

Well put ... and don't forget all the perks in his contract (free car, etc...)

Yeah, he's getting paid very well now. But how about the sacrifice that it takes to get there? Most coaches have to either start as HS coaches or GAs. Both have tons of crap tasks and very long hours, and neither pays well at all. We did the math in 2003 for the time we put in at a high school, and I was getting about $1.25 an hour. Even as you move up there's next to no job security at your current place or a guarantee that you'll get another one. And the best part if you do get another job in college is that you probably get to uproot your family and kids and move them to another corner of the country. Great for relationships, really. And speaking of families, I had one HC I worked with who, at the end of every season, would start to walk out, turn around, and say "Well, I guess it's time to reintroduce myself to my wife and kids." So a guy like Brewster gets one break to get a head job, gets paid less than his mediocre predecessor, and it automatically erases years or decades of crap? Sorry, I don't think so.

Yeah, he's getting paid very well now. But how about the sacrifice that it takes to get there? Most coaches have to either start as HS coaches or GAs. Both have tons of crap tasks and very long hours, and neither pays well at all. We did the math in 2003 for the time we put in at a high school, and I was getting about $1.25 an hour. Even as you move up there's next to no job security at your current place or a guarantee that you'll get another one. And the best part if you do get another job in college is that you probably get to uproot your family and kids and move them to another corner of the country. Great for relationships, really. And speaking of families, I had one HC I worked with who, at the end of every season, would start to walk out, turn around, and say "Well, I guess it's time to reintroduce myself to my wife and kids." So a guy like Brewster gets one break to get a head job, gets paid less than his mediocre predecessor, and it automatically erases years or decades of crap? Sorry, I don't think so.

He chose that career and knew what he was getting into when he entered that profession.

Boy, what a load of crap. There are FAR more noble careers than football coach that pay crap with long hours. If you want people to feel sorry for him or any other coach, you are crazy.

Really? Seriously? That might be one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever read on this board. College FB coaches are the only people who work hard in this world? Give me a break.

I have always heard that coaches work so hard but I never hear why. Is it really productive time? Or maybe they just like hanging around and talking football? I have met alot of brilliant people and none of them coached football. A lot of them worked very hard but never claimed to regularly work 18 hour days.

LOL!!! How many of the current coaches were a starting QB on a college team? Why does that matter?

Guess what? I played high school football so that means I've played more football than Jebidiah Fisch - the "Kill" shot.

What do you think of dem apples?

I have always heard that coaches work so hard but I never hear why. Is it really productive time? Or maybe they just like hanging around and talking football? I have met alot of brilliant people and none of them coached football. A lot of them worked very hard but never claimed to regularly work 18 hour days.

I played small college ball, then coached two years. I didn't realize how much work our coaches did when I played.

You watch a ton of film. After a Saturday game, we were breaking down the game film right away Sunday morning. It would take 2-3 hours to break it down and we only watched our offensive plays. Then we started watching film of our next opponent. The players came in during the afternoon where we watched the game film again but with the players, then some of our next opponent. Team leaves and more film. Sunday alone was a good 10 hour day. The team had Monday off while we broke down more film and gameplanned. Film, gameplanning, and practices during the week. While doing this, coaches are constantly contacting and scouting recruits. The head coach also can have many speaking engagements and media stuff during the week.

In my experience as a coach, we didn't get a full day off from a week or so before fall practice started until the end of the season (I don't think we had an off-week in our schedule). I'm guessing our head coach and coordinators worked an average of 80 hours per week during the season. It's very demanding, especially during the season, and they work very, very hard. But I'll say my current job is just as demanding as when I coached and others probably feel the same.

Let's just pretend for a moment that Brewster had done what Belichek did last night at some point during his Gophers career. Think he'd still have his job this morning?

Belichick's usage of his timeouts was more the issue ... or maybe the play they ran, but the actual decision to let Tom Brady win it or lose it really didn't bother me ... although he threw his defense under the bus.

gopherjay,

>>You all have validated my point.<<

No, you had no point in the first place.

Millionaire coaches are in a results business and they know it. Brewster exposes himself nearly every Saturday, and fans are paying the bills. They shouldn't have to smile and shut up just because they've never performed the job themselves.

Yes, Gopherjay, we know

you are a member of the Good Old Boys Club and the rest of us are not entitled to an opinion.

LOL!!! How many of the current coaches were a starting QB on a college team? Why does that matter?

Guess what? I played high school football so that means I've played more football than Jebidiah Fisch - the "Kill" shot.

What do you think of dem apples?

Yeah, but running a single wing doesn't count.

Let's just pretend for a moment that Brewster had done what Belichek did last night at some point during his Gophers career. Think he'd still have his job this morning?

I actually liked that call. Two yards to win the game, otherwise Manning gets the ball with 2 minutes and a chance to win the game. Ballsy call by Belichek, best HC in football, hands-down.

Belichick's usage of his timeouts was more the issue ... or maybe the play they ran, but the actual decision to let Tom Brady win it or lose it really didn't bother me ... although he threw his defense under the bus.

Of course you could also say. Listen up Defense we are going to take a risk here. I know I'm putting you in a bad position if things go wrong, but I totally trust you not to give up a TD on a short field.

Belicheck's call was a game time decision...he had to make a decision he felt gave his team the best chance to win the game and he made it. It didn't work. I have no issues with that. But to compare what Brester has done to that is ridiculous.
Brewster's problems occure during the week. His gameplans seem poorly put together, the team looks poorly prepared, game managemement is poor. Maybe he has more in common with Wacker than just his over use of adjectives and adverbs. Jeezo beezo his blood vessels are jumpin' and his corpusels are pumpin'

ok,

I actually liked that call. Two yards to win the game, otherwise Manning gets the ball with 2 minutes and a chance to win the game. Ballsy call by Belichek, best HC in football, hands-down.

Did you like the FG attempt call against SD that the Gophs missed when it was 13-10? I thought he should have gone for the 1st down considering an extra 3 pts would not have moved the lead outside of one score.

i am curious what other fans thought about that conservative play after 2 years of Brew displaying the courage to win or nothing. e.g. NIU game last year

Top Bottom