Not good news

Yikes, hope it's nothing too serious, but yeah, always scary when you talk about heart issues.

Wow. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

From a football perspective, anything heart related could mean an end to his playing career. I certainly hope that's not the case, but we've heard too many stories of players dying due to unknown heart conditions in the past.

I wish him the best. Does anyone know if the infection moved there or if its unrelated? Get well soon!

Wow...is there such thing as "a little trouble with my heart"...? Football aside hopefully the kid is all right and this doesn't turn out to be a long term thing.

no outside source is going to know due to HIPA data practices. so no one is going to know unless it comes directly from mcdonald or one of the coaches that he tells. that said, i have this feeling he will be okay in the end and that his stay is more precautionary in nature. i.e. for additional testing because of an overabundance of caution by the coaching/training staff with the gary tinsley incident still being fresh in everyone's memory.

personally, i don't think mcdonald would describe it as "a little thing" if in fact he was already being given ideas from doctors that it was not. fingers crossed for his overall well being of course.

Wow...is there such thing as "a little trouble with my heart"...? Football aside hopefully the kid is all right and this doesn't turn out to be a long term thing.

I was thinking the same thing. The good news is, he's getting treatment for whatever it may be. Very scary - not thinking of football implications, just hoping for the very best for this young man.

There are a few things with the heart, that are little things, let's hope for the best. Assuming that it is something relatively minor he could be back soon, some other things could end his season, and some things could end his career. If the second is true he would qualify for a medical redshirt. At this point we just have to wait and see.

There are a few things with the heart, that are little things, let's hope for the best. Assuming that it is something relatively minor he could be back soon, some other things could end his season, and some things could end his career. If the second is true he would qualify for a medical redshirt. At this point we just have to wait and see.

very true. i played hockey all the way through high school varsity and i had a minor structural heart issue discovered during my junior year via testing because i had a couple episodes of blacking out at home. parents thought the black outs might be heart related. was basically told by the doctors they noticed a minor structural issue during all the testing, but that i could return to sports full-time immediately. they said the blacking out was actually due to waking up too quickly in the morning and not allowing my blood pressure to acclimate before getting up and out of bed.

again, hopefully for andre his even going there in the first place was for something minor he noticed and his prolonged stay there today is just something he is being "forced" to do. i.e. just to test him as much as possible and make sure all i's are dotted and t's are crossed before he is allowed to return to the team.

I was actually thinking of an electrolyte imbalance as a minor thing. I'm also a fully discharged cardiac patient, that had a more major,' little issue with my heart'. I had a accessory pathway that created a feed back loop that caused my heart to race. A Catheter Ablation to cut the pathway and I'm 100%. That's a six week recovery and 2 to 3 weeks to diagnose. Because of my experience I'm not going to panic. Let's let the doctors sort it out.

Not good news. Actually really bad news. Heart issues are usually always ugly.

As far as football....Both our Freshmen studs go down. Sucks!

Not good news. Actually really bad news. Heart issues are usually always ugly.

As far as football....Both our Freshmen studs go down. Sucks!

Clearly too early to say for sure how this will turn out with McDonald but my gut tells me he doesn't see the field again this season. That will put a lot of pressure on the other guys to continue catching the ball and we will see if they are able to get separation in the Big Ten the way they have been able to against the softer defense we have played to date.

He took his twitter account down. This does not look good. Thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. Looks like he may get that redshirt, hopefully it's not career ending.

I was actually thinking of an electrolyte imbalance as a minor thing. I'm also a fully discharged cardiac patient, that had a more major,' little issue with my heart'. I had a accessory pathway that created a feed back loop that caused my heart to race. A Catheter Ablation to cut the pathway and I'm 100%. That's a six week recovery and 2 to 3 weeks to diagnose. Because of my experience I'm not going to panic. Let's let the doctors sort it out.

well, said. take this guys advice and wait to see what it is, if anything major at all. all one can do is hope for him that it is not.

to some of the others freaking out and immediately jumping/posting worst case scenarios......settle down and step away from the ledge. i.e. a guy takes his twitter account down, likely so he doesn't get inundated with tons of random messages (many from people he probably doesn't even know that well) all day and night, and apparently that means "it is all over for him". wow! :rolleyes:

He took his twitter account down. This does not look good. Thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. Looks like he may get that redshirt, hopefully it's not career ending.
Medical Technology relative to the heart is pretty awesome these days, so I'm sure the docs will get him in a safe place. If the dude can play, he'll play. If not, then that's just the way it was meant to be and I hope he kicks ass at whatever endeavors he takes on in the future.

I have a bit of a medical background and even though it seems weird, there are definitely minor heart issues. As Trapper has said, medical technology has really advanced in the last few decades. It is still really scary because, well, it's his heart.

For an example in sports, you can look at a pitcher named John Niese for the Mets. This year, he found out that he had an issue that was sometimes causing an irregular heartbeat and he decided to not miss any starts and surgically take care of the issue in the offseason.

I'd imagine that kid in McDonald's shoes wouldn't find it necessary to minimize the issue to the Minnesota Daily, so I'd imagine it is probably something of that sort.

All of that said, Andre is in good hands at the doctor and they'll help him figure out what is best in terms of his health.

I have a good friend whose wedding is a weekend that pretty much binge drank Mountain Dews and got either an arrhythmia or an irregular heart beat and is completely fine now plays basketball and softball. Here is hoping the best.

I had a friend who had that in middle school. They did the operation and he played soccer, tennis and basketball throughout school after the operation. Hopefully for his well being it's nothing serious.

Both my wife and son have had that done. My son now runs CC in high school. No issues anymore. Pretty amazing process.

Has there been updates on his situation?

Hoping for the best for him and his family.

well, said. take this guys advice and wait to see what it is, if anything major at all. all one can do is hope for him that it is not.

to some of the others freaking out and immediately jumping/posting worst case scenarios......settle down and step away from the ledge. i.e. a guy takes his twitter account down, likely so he doesn't get inundated with tons of random messages (many from people he probably doesn't even know that well) all day and night, and apparently that means "it is all over for him". wow! :rolleyes:

But that is the OM of this site! It is not that different than commercial TV with their lead story of the crisis of the day. It could very well be serious but having a bunch of "chicken little" GopherHolers running around saying the sky is falling doesn't help.

No updates, but the best news is that it was diagnosed, and he's in the process of getting it treated. Best wishes to him for a full and speedy recovery.

PiPress Gophers Now ‏@GophersNow
WR Andre McDonald was released from the hospital Thursday evening, according to the #Gophers. No other updates.
Retweeted by Aj Mansour
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

Update

Moderators--could you change the title of this thread to be a little more informative and accurate? Thread starters--instead of trying to be coy, title your thread to be germane to the subject. It will help all.

Moderators--could you change the title of this thread to be a little more informative and accurate? Thread starters--instead of trying to be coy, title your thread to be germane to the subject. It will help all.

+19

coy??? Dudes, I caught the twitter message, was a little shocked, concerned, bothered...whatever...the message is he has some sort of heart problem and like a few others in this thread, anything with the heart sounds serious. As one or two others pointed out it may not be...Truly I do not know. All I know is what I read in the article which I also posted so everyone could read it themselves.

Whatever...CYA

coy??? Dudes, I caught the twitter message, was a little shocked, concerned, bothered...whatever...the message is he has some sort of heart problem and like a few others in this thread, anything with the heart sounds serious. As one or two others pointed out it may not be...Truly I do not know. All I know is what I read in the article which I also posted so everyone could read it themselves.

Whatever...CYA

Not Good News could relate to a multitude of subjects.

Shouldn't a title pertain to the subject.

Okay...McDonald in hospital with a little heart problem...will that work?

I'm optimistic. Any major structural damage or defect would have surely been detected in his physical LAST MONTH. Hoping for the best for this young man. If it's on the football field, great. If not, I still am pulling for him.

Top Bottom