Not Dead Yet

People have compared this year to 1989 frequently. Any chance Kansas State falls to a 6? I don't think Sienna is in this year though...

Can these people define bad losses?

Gophers right now have two (2) bad losses as Nebraska climbed into the top 100 in RPI. (Will probably slide after a loss today).

Gophers scheduled 2 teams total with RPI over 200.
Average team in the top 40 scheduled 5.5-6.0 games against RPI 200+

Gophers currently have 12 wins over top 100 teams. Only 7 teams have more wins against Top 100 teams.

This bad loss argument is really ridiculous.
They have "kind-of" bad losses, but no BAD BAD losses.

We ended up seeded 9th in the B1G tournament and we lost our first round game. Would you call that good?

What, in this scenario, would cause the selection committee to go..."Dang, we just can't leave Minnesota off the list!"?

Perhaps people are right and the "collective" resume is good enough to get the Gophers into the tourney. But, I won't blame anyone but this Gopher's team if the selection committee says "Enjoy your NIT run."

Can these people define bad losses?

Gophers right now have two (2) bad losses as Nebraska climbed into the top 100 in RPI. (Will probably slide after a loss today).

Gophers scheduled 2 teams total with RPI over 200.
Average team in the top 40 scheduled 5.5-6.0 games against RPI 200+

Gophers currently have 12 wins over top 100 teams. Only 7 teams have more wins against Top 100 teams.

This bad loss argument is really ridiculous.
They have "kind-of" bad losses, but no BAD BAD losses.

It's funny that people actually think the Gophers won't make the tournament. People that really think that have absolutely no grasp of college basketball as a whole this season/

We ended up seeded 9th in the B1G tournament and we lost our first round game. Would you call that good?

What, in this scenario, would cause the selection committee to go..."Dang, we just can't leave Minnesota off the list!"?

Perhaps people are right and the "collective" resume is good enough to get the Gophers into the tourney. But, I won't blame anyone but this Gopher's team if the selection committee says "Enjoy your NIT run."

I would be very upset. I'd need some serious explanation (obviously wouldn't get it) as to why some teams would get in over us- a team like Iowa State, St Mary's, etc (assuming they'd get in in that scenario). Even an Iowa- sure, they finished ahead of us, but isn't it odd that on their resume, one of their "good" wins is against us, whereas all of our good wins are against teams like MSU, Wisconsin, Indiana- no question, automatically in teams?

I'm not saying we had a good year or that the collapse didn't happen, but I don't see how you could actually say that we don't have one of the best at-large resumes of any team that's anywhere near the bubble.

I'm always amazed at the Kool-Aid being drunk...

It's funny that people actually think the Gophers won't make the tournament. People that really think that have absolutely no grasp of college basketball as a whole this season/

Gophers have 12 wins against top 100 teams.
Only 7 teams total (not bubble teams) have more.
Gophers scheduled only two games against Ultra-week opponents. (RPI 200+) Top 40 teams considered "In" right now, averaged 6 games against RPI 200+.

If the committee doesn't take them, it goes against EVERYTHING the committee has said for the last 15 years regarding "scheduling tough opponents".

This happens every year. With all the various conferences and automatic bids some of the teams with high RPI's don't get invited. If you want the top RPI teams then let's just get rid of all the D-1 conferences and let teams schedule as they desire. The top 68 RPI teams get in and everyone else stays home.

Some teams get in before the Gophers because those teams did well in their own conference and didn't end up 9th in their conference. Perhaps the problem with Minnesota is that we are a part of the B1G conference. Maybe we should play with South Dakota State and North Dakota State so that we can dominate and get in the tourney! (Sarcasm)

The tourney isn't all about top RPI teams getting in. Sometimes good teams fall off the bubble while teams that might not be as good get in. It's the way the system works when you have basketball conferences and politics merging.

I might be more upset if the Gophers were improving at the end of the season, but they aren't and any failure to get into the tournament is on the men's basketball program at the U of MN and on no one else.

I would be very upset. I'd need some serious explanation (obviously wouldn't get it) as to why some teams would get in over us- a team like Iowa State, St Mary's, etc (assuming they'd get in in that scenario). Even an Iowa- sure, they finished ahead of us, but isn't it odd that on their resume, one of their "good" wins is against us, whereas all of our good wins are against teams like MSU, Wisconsin, Indiana- no question, automatically in teams?

I'm not saying we had a good year or that the collapse didn't happen, but I don't see how you could actually say that we don't have one of the best at-large resumes of any team that's anywhere near the bubble.

You can keep throwing out this B.S. all you want. The fact is that we are playing really sucky basketball and don't deserve any sympathy. I would however, acquiesce to the Gophers getting a nod for a play-in game so they can prove your data to be worthwhile.

Gophers have 12 wins against top 100 teams.
Only 7 teams total (not bubble teams) have more.
Gophers scheduled only two games against Ultra-week opponents. (RPI 200+) Top 40 teams considered "In" right now, averaged 6 games against RPI 200+.

If the committee doesn't take them, it goes against EVERYTHING the committee has said for the last 15 years regarding "scheduling tough opponents".

This happens every year. With all the various conferences and automatic bids some of the teams with high RPI's don't get invited. If you want the top RPI teams then let's just get rid of all the D-1 conferences and let teams schedule as they desire. The top 68 RPI teams get in and everyone else stays home.

Some teams get in before the Gophers because those teams did well in their own conference and didn't end up 9th in their conference. Perhaps the problem with Minnesota is that we are a part of the B1G conference. Maybe we should play with South Dakota State and North Dakota State so that we can dominate and get in the tourney! (Sarcasm)

The tourney isn't all about top RPI teams getting in. Sometimes good teams fall off the bubble while teams that might not be as good get in. It's the way the system works when you have basketball conferences and politics merging.

I might be more upset if the Gophers were improving at the end of the season, but they aren't and any failure to get into the tournament is on the men's basketball program at the U of MN and on no one else.

Here's the deal, the committee needs to use SOMETHING to justify picking Team A over Team B.
From any of the criteria they have ever mentioned that they still use, the Gophers shine in that critera.

It's only in the mythical criteria that they are failing.

1. Conference schedule. - It's been said repeatedly this doesn't matter.
2. Last 10 games. - Used to be a factor. Is not anymore because of conference schedules being of different strengths. Why are 10 games against Conf USA more important that ACC games?
3. BAD LOSSES - Bad losses are somewhat of a criteria, but the error here is thinking that the Gophers somehow have WORSE bad losses. One of their "bad losses" is against a current Top 100 team in Nebraska.

Gophers have 12 wins against top 100 teams. (only 7 teams total have more)
They only scheduled to against teams with RPI 200+. (Average top 40 team averages 6 against 200+.

I'm talking about wins and losses. I'm saying that we have a handful of high end victories that no bubble team can match, and we don't have more than one or two truly bad losses (and even those aren't awful). The RPI is a tool that allows the committee to compare teams who have completely different circumstance with one another.

I'm not saying it's a perfect system (far from). But that's how it is. It's certainly possible that we could be left out, but I would be pretty shocked. I just don't think the teams on/near the bubble can match our resume.

You're correct. A failure is on the U and the U alone. But that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be very confusing/frustrating given the way the selection process is (and has) been done.

In response to Tinyarch

Sounds like the only criteria you want to use is "Eye test".

Good luck with that.

"Norfolk State won 9 of their last 10!! Put them as a #2 seed!"

The OP is right. We are not dead yet. No decisions have been made, and the Gophers' total body of work is impressive. What have we done for us lately? Not much. That's for darn sure, but it's not appropriate to start eulogizing this team until a bracket is announced on sunday. If we're not dancing, then yeah, the sky can fall then!

Go Gophers!

The OP is right. We are not dead yet. No decisions have been made, and the Gophers' total body of work is impressive. What have we done for us lately? Not much. That's for darn sure, but it's not appropriate to start eulogizing this team until a bracket is announced on sunday. If we're not dancing, then yeah, the sky can fall then!

Go Gophers!

Gophers will be a 9 seed.

For the most part, I agree with you. I would not consider the total body of work to be as impressive as you might, but if all that mattered was the RPI formula, then the Gophers could make an argument for sliding in safe. It will certainly be an interesting Selection Sunday. (I hope Trevor has his checkbook ready...)

Go Gophers!

I'm always amazed at the Kool-Aid being drunk...
Yeah kool-aid thats it or it could be that I'm actually aware of the bubble situation and what has happened in college basketball this year.

For the most part, I agree with you. I would not consider the total body of work to be as impressive as you might, but if all that mattered was the RPI formula, then the Gophers could make an argument for sliding in safe. It will certainly be an interesting Selection Sunday. (I hope Trevor has his checkbook ready...)

GW... is that you?

Top Bottom