Northwestern's two scores...the spot and the defensive holding call

And, again, that doesn't make any sense. Say you have 3rd and 1 and the runner gets comfortably past the first down marker, but then gets pushed back 3-4 yards by the gang of tacklers there to meet him. So you spot the ball 3 yards back and it's 4th and 4? Brilliant take!
Then he didn't really gain 1 yard. Next time he might have t fight a little harder to keep the yards gained. Why favor the offense? Where was the ball when the whistle blew to stop the play. Spot the ball at that point. No guessing needed. Only exception I see is if the ball crosses the goal line the whistle blows, stop the play regardless if he is driven backwards. Remember the ball is dead once it crosses the goal line in player possession.

Then he didn't really gain 1 yard. Next time he might have t fight a little harder to keep the yards gained. Why favor the offense? Where was the ball when the whistle blew to stop the play. Spot the ball at that point. No guessing needed. Only exception I see is if the ball crosses the goal line the whistle blows, stop the play regardless if he is driven backwards. Remember the ball is dead once it crosses the goal line in player possession.

Can't tell if you are just joking around but what you are saying makes no sense. With that line of thinking you would have the defensive and offensive players shoving constantly at the end of every play. Referees would be forced to blow super quick whistles as well. There is no problem with the forward progress rule as it is now.

The whistle very RARELY ends the play, so when you say "the whistle blew to stop the play" you are wrong. I guess you can argue about how you'd like to change the rules, but as it stands you are very wrong.

Like pretty much everyone, I am frustrated by bad calls that adversely affect my team. However, it has always been part of the game and I have learned to live with it.

What really infuriates me is bad calls that get reaffirmed by a video review, or a GOOD call that gets overturned by a video review. There are bang-bang plays that do not offer conclusive evidence to overturn and that is okay. What is NOT okay are bad calls like that 4th down spot that are first wildly marked poorly by the officials and then confirmed with video review. That 4th down spot was a full 2 yards off, everyone in the stadium knew it, and it still didn't matter after review. Horrible. The overruling of the Ohio State targeting call on Leidner last year will forever be a gripe of mine too.

Critical calls at critical points in a game on critical plays do not "even out." Instead, they chip away at the integrity of the game.

The whistle very RARELY ends the play, so when you say "the whistle blew to stop the play" you are wrong. I guess you can argue about how you'd like to change the rules, but as it stands you are very wrong.

You're not serious when you say the whistle rarely ends the play. Then, what stops ALL football plays, if it isn't the whistle?

You're not serious when you say the whistle rarely ends the play. Then, what stops ALL football plays, if it isn't the whistle?

some examples:
on a pass, the ball hits the ground, the play is over
on a running play, the runner's elbow or knee touches the ground, the play is over

often times on running plays, the officials can't see who has the ball, so the whistles are slow, but the play might have been over for 3-4 seconds.

The really obvious times where the whistle does end the play is an inadvertent whistle.

Sorry, just google the rule book.

Top Bottom