Nonsense Play - ACC Championship Yesterday

I would just call him down there, it wasn't clear he planned that as a deke move. They should require any sliding motion whatsoever to be called down at the spot, with a review if necessary.

I’m a Wake alum and Gopher fan so I’m biased.

Sure, I guess it was legal. But I don’t get defending it as a good football play. Taking advantage of rules meant treat you with kid gloves is pretty cheap and should be prohibited.

Insane that anyone thinks this should be looked at, let alone regulated. Insane.

if he's cool with the move, he should be fine the the LB or DB who plants a shoulder straight into his chest next time he slides.
Exactly. That QB needs to be blown up

if he's cool with the move, he should be fine the the LB or DB who plants a shoulder straight into his chest next time he slides.
It was pretty obvious that both DB's that were closest to the play slowed, paused, hesitated when he started to drop his hips. Should have just called the play dead right there, move on. No need for a penalty, but he should have been called down

If you complete the slide you get marked down where you initiated it. Perhaps if you initiate a slide you should be marked down in that case, regardless of completing it.

It was pretty obvious that both DB's that were closest to the play slowed, paused, hesitated when he started to drop his hips. Should have just called the play dead right there, move on. No need for a penalty, but he should have been called down
Agreed fully. The irritating part is if he would’ve slid and either defender got there half a beat late and hit Pickett hard, Narduzzi would 100% be up in arms about the danger of the play and the rules. Can’t have it both ways. He clearly makes a move to initiate the slide. Call it dead. Move on

This needs to be eliminated immediately. Penalize the offense here.

While we're at it, let's also include the fake kneel down by Bowling Green earlier this year.

I ask again, once the QB is out in the open, why should they be protected more than anyone else running the ball?
I’m pretty sure the slide rule applies to anyone with the ball. Doesn’t matter if they’re a QB or not. You just don’t see non QBs do it.

Not sure if it was the NFL or college but I believe I’ve seen before where a QB started to go down to a knee, but then got back up in trying to fake out the defense. It was at the end of the 1st half I believe. Refs blew it dead as soon as he started going to a knee. Same thing should be done in situations like this.

I’m pretty sure the slide rule applies to anyone with the ball. Doesn’t matter if they’re a QB or not. You just don’t see non QBs do it.
I agree, I don't believe the QB is ever considered anything other than a ball carrier once he is out in the open. Anybody can slide and give themselves up.

Sorry, I take the opposite view. I have no problem with it. He faked out the defense. receivers fake out d-backs all the time. RB's use fakes and spin moves.

the QB never went to the ground. Under the rules - as currently written - it was a legal play.

Now, I could see the powers-that-be writing a new rule for this situation. But IMHO it's just going to create more penalty confusion - like targeting - where every officiating crew calls it differently.
Everyone agrees under the written rules it was a legal play. That’s literally what people are talking about

BTW - speaking of trick plays, did anyone see the play that South Dakota State pulled off in the FCS playoffs?

Late in the game, SDSU has (I believe) a 4th-and-short play. they line up; the QB backs away from the line, starts jogging over toward the sideline and gesturing, as if arguing with the coach about the call. while this is going on, SDSU does a direct snap to the RB, who runs it for a 1st down.

I was watching it live, and it looked like SDSU was in meltdown mode - but in fact, it was a brilliantly acted piece of deception. In essence, the QB was in motion, and just had to be sure that he did not move toward the line of scrimmage.

google it for a highlight. it was a hoot.

If this were baseball the player would be thrown at the next time he stepped up to the plate. CFB needs some unwritten rules like this.
No football doesn't need people headhunting due to unwritten rules. Its violent enough as is.

They just need to clarify that a motion to slide is the same as a slide, and make it reviewable on replay. It's not hard. If he got blown up in that position it would be a penalty on the D.

What was wrong with that? Either he did it on purpose, which would have been really heads up thinking, or he just saw he could go farther and changed his mind.
Then now becomes open season. Clock the QB because he may fake it. Remove the protection and go back to the old rules. Then make it allowable to fake a fair catch.

Not sure if it was the NFL or college but I believe I’ve seen before where a QB started to go down to a knee, but then got back up in trying to fake out the defense. It was at the end of the 1st half I believe. Refs blew it dead as soon as he started going to a knee. Same thing should be done in situations like this.
I know at the HS level a lot of the deception plays are now penalties. You can't do something to deceive the other team into thinking the play is over or a snap is not imminent. If players give up there is more chance for injury.

I don't think this play is a penalty, but it should just be whistled down at the spot that he faked giving himself up. He won't do it again.

I see the fake kneel down or fake spike as a different situation. These are not done specifically to protect the ball carrier/QB, AND the ball is not dead when they start the maneuver, which is why I’d see it as OK gamesmanship to fake a spike or kneel down, but questionable to take advantage of the protection of a slide to make the D pull up, and then fake it. It’s gotten so strict in football that almost any contact of the QB in a slide can draw a flag aside from the D just putting their hands on him. Not fair for QBs to fake that.

Then now becomes open season. Clock the QB because he may fake it. Remove the protection and go back to the old rules. Then make it allowable to fake a fair catch.
I'd be perfectly fine with that.

BTW - speaking of trick plays, did anyone see the play that South Dakota State pulled off in the FCS playoffs?

Late in the game, SDSU has (I believe) a 4th-and-short play. they line up; the QB backs away from the line, starts jogging over toward the sideline and gesturing, as if arguing with the coach about the call. while this is going on, SDSU does a direct snap to the RB, who runs it for a 1st down.

I was watching it live, and it looked like SDSU was in meltdown mode - but in fact, it was a brilliantly acted piece of deception. In essence, the QB was in motion, and just had to be sure that he did not move toward the line of scrimmage.

google it for a highlight. it was a hoot.
Not as good as the snap through the QB's legs/TD pass by the running back vs NDSU in November, though
""

Trick plays are cool. Taking advantage of a player safety rule is perfidious. It is basically the football equivalent of sneaking combat troops to the front lines in a vehicle marked with a red cross.

My understanding is that if a player hits a quarterback after he started a slide, even though he hasn't reached the ground yet, he can be penalized for unnecessary roughness. This is the reason for the rule that the QB is marked down where the slide starts: it's not fair for him to continue gaining yardage after he has created a situation that it is illegal to hit him. Accordingly, if a defensive player would have lit this clown up during his fake slide, we would never know it was a fake, and that player would been penalized. I don't see how a player can be allowed to score a TD on a play where there was a point where it would have been illegal to tackle him with the ball.

Get rid of the slide altogether. Three options: get out of bounds, get tackled, lateral the ball to someone else.

Top Bottom