Nonsense Play - ACC Championship Yesterday

What was wrong with that? Either he did it on purpose, which would have been really heads up thinking, or he just saw he could go farther and changed his mind.

What was wrong with that? Either he did it on purpose, which would have been really heads up thinking, or he just saw he could go farther and changed his mind.
I think it's the potential precedent. We have put enormous importance on protecting the QB. Over time, defenses have adjusted to these rules and progressively played softer when approaching the QB in the field of play. It's easier to pull up instead of getting a penalty for hitting a sliding QB. Now if you don't know the QB is actually going to slide or not? Impossible for the defense.

He's taking advantage of the fact that defensive players have to ease up because of a special rule about player safety. It's a lose-lose situation for the defensive player.

Then remove the "kid gloves" treatment for QBs.
How is a defender supposed to play that?
I agree. Once a QB is in the open field, he should be treated like any other running back. I get protecting him in the pocket, but downfield like that, no.

In the Gopher Wisconsin game when they reviewed the quarterback slide the refs said “by rule the quarterback is down when he drops his hips”

I would add a penalty to it to.
Considering how other things have been called and what the rulings have been, I would imagine this kind of play could actually fall under the "Unsportsmanlike" umbrella. I'm guessing that's something he's been thinking about if he had the chance, I doubt he came up with that on the spot while he's running into the secondary.

I thought the play was supposed to be dead when the QB starts to slide. All they have to do is have an officials review and if they determine that he initiated a slide, the ball is down at that spot!

That's what I figure too. No need to necessarily add a penalty. The refs should have probably ruled him down where he started to fake a slide.

That's what I figure too. No need to necessarily add a penalty. The refs should have probably ruled him down where he started to fake a slide.
I think you add the penalty to discourage it. Kind of like the diving penalty in hockey.
If a QB knows the only consequence is spotting the ball where they fake it, they may try to get away with it and roll the dice.

I think you add the penalty to discourage it. Kind of like the diving penalty in hockey.
If a QB knows the only consequence is spotting the ball where they fake it, they may try to get away with it and roll the dice.

I would be fine with that. Would just hope that refs would only throw the flag when it appeared intentional.

It won't take too many times for officials calling the play dead at the spot to discourage QBs from doing it in my opinion!

Yeah - definitely should be a penalty. Would you do 10 or 15 yards from the spot where it happened or from the original line of scrimmage? Would it be considered unsportsmanlike conduct?
You should eject him like you’d eject the guy who hits him high on a slide

Just don’t see it as an issue. This would be 10x subjective and more controversial to enforce than targeting.

Just don’t see it as an issue. This would be 10x subjective and more controversial to enforce than targeting.
Yeah
I’m being tongue in cheek. The real solution is to have targeting not be an auto ejection like it is at the high school and college level

He said in his interview he changed his mind when he realized he could go further. If you have a rule to protect a quarterback, then we have to respect the rule.

You can't have it both ways to take advantage of the defense not knowing if you're going to fake it or go down when you make a head or body move of some sort. The kid took advantage of a loophole. You're going to see more of it now that it has been exposed. In some way the rule has to be changed or clarified. Personally, I think the kid is a coward knowing that he took advantage of the rule so that he wouldn't be hit.

Sorry, I take the opposite view. I have no problem with it. He faked out the defense. receivers fake out d-backs all the time. RB's use fakes and spin moves.

the QB never went to the ground. Under the rules - as currently written - it was a legal play.

Now, I could see the powers-that-be writing a new rule for this situation. But IMHO it's just going to create more penalty confusion - like targeting - where every officiating crew calls it differently.

Yeah - definitely should be a penalty. Would you do 10 or 15 yards from the spot where it happened or from the original line of scrimmage? Would it be considered unsportsmanlike conduct?
I don't know if a penalty is in order, but at the very least, the ball should be spotted at the yardline where he made the first indication he was going to slide.

At first I thought it was a BS, but now I am on the fence. It’s similar to that play where north Texas faked a fair catch on a punt, but then again I could see some much more exaggerated fake slides than the subtle one Pickett pulled off, and that would cause issues.

Sorry, I take the opposite view. I have no problem with it. He faked out the defense. receivers fake out d-backs all the time. RB's use fakes and spin moves.

the QB never went to the ground. Under the rules - as currently written - it was a legal play.
The situations you describe have little relation to the QB slide. Neither the WR fake or RB spin move are intended to down the ball. The QB doesn’t have to get to the ground before the play is dead.

This is more like a fake fair catch signal. Both the fair catch and QB slide are “protective” moves meant to ensure the safety of a ball carrier by ending the possibility of forward progress once they initiate that move, hence the D is not allowed to hit them.

That play should’ve been downed at the point where the QB motioned like he was going to slide.

Addendum: I actually watched the replay. To me it looked like barely a hitch in his stride, if he was not a QB I wouldn’t have thought that was a fake slide.

Top Bottom