Non Revenue Generating Sports

The “gymnastics” around Title IX should the doomsday scenario come to pass will be interesting. Many competing interests.
Well, again ....

if you just extracted football from the equations, it really wouldn't be that hard. You could almost just mandate that if you have a men's varsity sport, you have to have the equivalent women's varsity team. Softball to baseball. Most of the rest have exact equivalents?

The NCAA mandates a minimum number of sports (and team sports as a sub-set of that), and have different scholarship limits for genders. Those could possibly be equalized, with football out of the way.

Again, nearly all the BS gymnastics in college sports is how you deal with the colossus of football.

Well, again ....

if you just extracted football from the equations, it really wouldn't be that hard. You could almost just mandate that if you have a men's varsity sport, you have to have the equivalent women's varsity team. Softball to baseball. Most of the rest have exact equivalents?

The NCAA mandates a minimum number of sports (and team sports as a sub-set of that), and have different scholarship limits for genders. Those could possibly be equalized, with football out of the way.

Again, nearly all the BS gymnastics in college sports is how you deal with the colossus of football.

The NCAA rule, well you know what they say. Rules are meant to be broken or rewritten, or thrown out by rule of law. That requirement used as a defense against, say, denying broadcast rights distributions or paying players could be looked at unkindly by a certain SCOTUS justice or antitrust rules, if applied. The NCAA would need to bend itself into pretzels, should one of these doomsday scenarios come to pass.

I‘m mainly alluding to what will happen to the balance of athletics scholarships if/when the league goes full free market via third party player unions/media rights (the most desirable route for all parties) or if athletes are reclassified as employees. If the latter occurs what happens once you get beyond the 100 or so football/bball/hockey scholarships and the TIX required female equivalent resources. What if Title IX itself is modified as bureaucrats do, from Obama to Trump appointees.

I don’t know what would happen, but I have a pretty wild imagination.

No need to get angry. It's happening today affecting women's sports. How will the NCAA, colleges, high schools and pros address this change. Title IX will be affected, the question is how? This is regarding sports not politics.
My ignore list is growing by one tonight. It has been a while.

Top Bottom