Non-conference game vs. San Francisco

Just what we need. Start the season with another loss. Hey Ben, find someone we can beat.

San Fransisco had a pretty competitive team last year. 20-14 with good wins and other close games. Lost by 2 to Gonzaga. They played Pepperdine. Box score shows Mitchell had a good night. 6 for 10 on 3 pointers and 22 points. Next best were a couple guys with 10 each. But box scores only tell so much.

UST is out there the week before they play 3 games in the Cal Baptist MTE.. with Cal Poly and Portland St…

I don't want a non-conference with zero power 6 teams on it. Not only is it pathetic and insulting to ticket buyers but it will leave them even more unprepared for B1G play.
This is an away game? I think you have more point for the home schedule, that's fine.

Unprepared for Big Ten play?? You mean, even more than they already will be. Yikes

This is an away game? I think you have more point for the home schedule, that's fine.

Unprepared for Big Ten play?? You mean, even more than they already will be. Yikes
This game is not the issue. My point is that it's looking like a game against San Francisco will be the most challenging game on the non-conference schedule. That would be sad.

This is a fun game to schedule. The issue is if this is the "marquee" game of the entire non-conference, which I fear it will be.
I was going to say the same thing. This is a solid game to have as one of the games on the non-con schedule, but it would be pretty soft to have it as THE game. This is one of the reasons I focus so much more on B1G record than total wins, because coaches can do things like pull out of a preseason tournament to avoid tough games and pad their record. In the B1G, you need play the schedule as its given to you.

This game is not the issue. My point is that it's looking like a game against San Francisco will be the most challenging game on the non-conference schedule. That would be sad.
I understand your point. Would be disappointing if USF is the “marquee” game on the non-con schedule. But let’s wait a bit; there’s still at least 7 or 8 opponents we don’t know yet. Cross our fingers.

Last edited:

If you're buying season tickets to Minnesota Gophers men's basketball, the meat of your purchase is the Big Ten home schedule.

Fully granting that I'm not a season ticket holder, just a TV fan, I say that boosting wins in the non-conf is more important right now.

That part of the schedule can, and should, change depending on the strength of the upcoming team.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have one, too. Any P6 team that schedules only cupcakes in the nonconference to inflate their win total is a p*ssy program.

A college student doing addition and subtraction problems "to boost their confidence" does not prepare them to do calculus.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have one, too. Any P6 team that schedules only cupcakes in the nonconference to inflate their win total is a p*ssy program.

A college student doing addition and subtraction problems "to boost their confidence" does not prepare them to do calculus.
Concur.
Furthermore, it shows both:

How the athletic department and coaching staff views the strength of their team

And

What they think of their paying customers

San Francisco runs a very good program. This will be a tough test but it's a great game to schedule.

My hunch is it will be hard for the Gophers to schedule any quality P6 teams for a home game this season. What opposing coach by choice would bring his team on the road to play a team that has potential to be in the 150s-200s in Net Ranking? Who would put their team at risk to lose a game like that? Any decent P6 team is hoping to get a road game that at a minimum will be a Quad 2 game. Otherwise, they'll just schedule a dog home game if it means playing a Quad 3 or 4 game anyway.

My hunch is it will be hard for the Gophers to schedule any quality P6 teams for a home game this season. What opposing coach by choice would bring his team on the road to play a team that has potential to be in the 150s-200s in Net Ranking? Who would put their team at risk to lose a game like that? Any decent P6 team is hoping to get a road game that at a minimum will be a Quad 2 game. Otherwise, they'll just schedule a dog home game if it means playing a Quad 3 or 4 game anyway.
Nope, p***y program!!! :ROFLMAO:

All the more reason it's foolish to pull out of the Vegas tournament.

I do respect the logic and conventional-ish wisdom in this post, and it very well may be reality. However, I think it's too convenient an excuse.

P6s like Temple or Georgia Tech (among others) are likely also in that Quad 2/3 limboland - they're not "quality" P6s, but they're at least recognizable as having successful pasts. Is Minnesota afraid to schedule teams like that because they're Quad 3 at Williams, or are they just scared of losing, period? My guess is the latter, but feel free to disagree.

Top Bottom