Nolen's appeal denied

I just do my homework on time...Nolan should have tried that...plus we all obviously have time to be on here...most of you must have it tough in the workforce after such a hard day to come on here and B.S as well...not trying to sound smart...just stating the obvious.

Try again, son. some of us worked our asses off all our lives, are now retired, and have earned the right to be anywhere we damn well please.

Guess you can't tell someones age from the way they type...Ok sir yes you do have the right to do what you want...sorry if I'm coming off as a smart ass...I just expected something different. Let's continue to keep this about sports..we obviously have differing opinions on Al
1. I think he's a great kid
2. Given a full ride scholarship...being a team leader...should he have performed better in class. Yes!
3. Seeing as the NCAA denied his appeal...Nolan must have been doing very very poorly in class...worse than somebody on 2 week probation.

Try again, son. some of us worked our asses off all our lives, are now retired, and have earned the right to be anywhere we damn well please.

Dr. Don, you think you are entitled to control the thoughts and minds of everyone on here. I hope when I retire, I am more open to differing opinions and the younger generation then you appear to be. Have you decided to start your own private chat room yet? Maybe its time you take a break....

As was discussed earlier, the NCAA has not been granting waivers. Al had some extenuating circumstances however he only missed class, not BB.

The older posters have been accused of not being supportive of RW, yet in this case we're more understanding of Al. "Full ride" comes at a price. While there isn't financial pressure there is a lot of other pressure and demands. Al handled things ok for two years. As Drex said, there are supposed to be supports in place to make sure this doesn't happen. Bad recruiting event.

""still failed all his classes..."" akoch...prove it. You make such a statement, prove it.

Dr. Don - What kind of Dr are you? You are acting like the Dr. Kevorkian of this chat room. Depressing.

- If you did not understand AKoch's point then you are off the ledge. Have you taken your pills today?

Are you self diagnosing yourself. You know what they say about Drs who are their own Drs?
"The patient is a fool and the Dr is even more foolish." or something to that effect.

Guess you can't tell someones age from the way they type...Ok sir yes you do have the right to do what you want...sorry if I'm coming off as a smart ass...I just expected something different. Let's continue to keep this about sports..we obviously have differing opinions on Al
1. I think he's a great kid
2. Given a full ride scholarship...being a team leader...should he have performed better in class. Yes!
3. Seeing as the NCAA denied his appeal...Nolan must have been doing very very poorly in class...worse than somebody on 2 week probation.

As person who actually graduated from college, was a former collegiate student-athlete (on scholarship), youth coach, former academic program director (not athletics, academic degree granting division of major university) and parent, I've known/worked with a lot of students in Nolen's position.

Most of these students had far less time demands (like travel, practices, games, public relations) and public scrutiny (word of the day) than a Gopher basketball player. Most academic issues, not carefully monitored, usually show up between the sophomore and junior year.

I heard that the head of the athletic academic advising office left that position about a year ago and it was vacant until recently. Tubby would have known this and that should have been a big red flag for him and his staff to place closer scrutiny on his student-athletes, especially those with previous academic challenges. I also heard that Nolen (and Williams) were/are not the only players in academic peril.

Any seasoned, experienced coach who really cared about the academic health of his players, would have requested additional University advising support at that time and/or implemented an additional support system. Keep in mind, this key academic program director left sometime between basketball seasons. If Nolen was in academic peril (which he had to have been to become ineligible), it was just as much Tubby's responsibility as it was Nolen's to make sure he got all the support he needed to get academically back on track.

BTW akoch, these services are available to ALL University students either through their academic division office and various academic student affairs offices.

I heard that the head of the athletic academic advising office left that position about a year ago and it was vacant until recently. Tubby would have known this and that should have been a big red flag for him and his staff to place closer scrutiny on his student-athletes, especially those with previous academic challenges. I also heard that Nolen (and Williams) were/are not the only players in academic peril.

Any seasoned, experienced coach who really cared about the academic health of his players, would have requested additional University advising support at that time and/or implemented an additional support system. Keep in mind, this key academic program director left sometime between basketball seasons. If Nolen was in academic peril (which he had to have been to become ineligible), it was just as much Tubby's responsibility as it was Nolen's to make sure he got all the support he needed to get academically back on track.

Ahh yes. Damn it, Smith. The head of the academic advising office left... and that is the reason why Nolen completely eff'd up. Tubby should have made some immediate 'advising support' hires. He obviously didn't care "about the academic health" of poor Al.

Come on... Nolen screwed up.

As person who actually graduated from college, was a former collegiate student-athlete (on scholarship), youth coach, former academic program director (not athletics, academic degree granting division of major university) and parent, I've known/worked with a lot of students in Nolen's position.

Most of these students had far less time demands (like travel, practices, games, public relations) and public scrutiny (word of the day) than a Gopher basketball player. Most academic issues, not carefully monitored, usually show up between the sophomore and junior year.

BTW akoch, these services are available to ALL University students either through their academic division office and various academic student affairs offices.

DREX96...Thanks for the resume. I'll post it on Monster.com for you. Just kidding, i'm being a smart arse.

- What happened to personal accountability? Now you are Blaming Tubby because Nolen cannot go to class and he is on a full ride. I hope those that teach my sons basketball will teach them to be accountable for their actions and not to rely on the head coach to make sure they go to class, does their homework, pay their bills, wear protection, etc. Creating a dependent class of kids is no way to lead. No wonder why we have so many athletes getting into personal trouble, ie crime, pregnancy, drugs. Its because they are not held accountable. DREX96 I call on you to change your attitude and start teaching these kids personal accountability. "Teach them to Fish instead of Giving them a fish". What you described is a pathway of lifelong failure...

Since you guys hate Tubby so much, I just want to know who would a better coach be....Plus I find it funny at how easy the student athletes who are doing poorly in their classes have it...they are offered all the help they need..and then some...I admire most student athletes, but I'm sorry...those who are failing classes on a full ride...need to re-evaluate their thinking...Nolan is obviously not going to the NBA...I say sit him...The NCAA made the right move...they are just looking out for the players best interest...Nolan needs this education in order to succeed in life...There are many, many successful student athletes out there...and they shine above everyone at the University...I currently am enrolled in college...I have heard stories about how our football players are given perfect scores on assignments to help make up for their bad test scores..can't say any of them are true but I have heard many many rumors from very credible sources...I'm sure Tubby was looking out for Al...he was always know as a players coach...and took academic issues seriously at Kentucky as well as here.

Ahh yes. Damn it, Smith. The head of the academic advising office left... and that is the reason why Nolen completely eff'd up. Tubby should have made some immediate 'advising support' hires. He obviously didn't care "about the academic health" of poor Al.

Come on... Nolen screwed up.

No, Smith obviously doesn't care about Nolen's academic health, but he better start. Just as we don't know what goes on behind the scenes regarding Royce White, we also don't know what goes on behind the scenes in this situation.

Didn't say Nolen doesn't have responsibility and accountability, but to suggest that Smith doesn't is ridiculous. If a coach has a student-athlete with academic issues, that student could be red-shirted for a year, correct? Or at least sit him out for a semester (first, not second) or until his got back on track academically. This is done all the time in other institutions, btw.

Afterall, that is why Clem Haskins is no longer the head coach at the University of Minnesota? Lack of academic oversight.

It's in Tubby's contract... his $13 million dollar contract.

No, Smith obviously doesn't care abouth Nolen's academic health

I don't agree with your statement and suspect it's your background talking more than it has anything to do with reality... but, I do care abouth your academic health. Is the added 'h' to denote your feminine lisp?

Didn't say Nolen doesn't have responsibility and accountability, but to suggest that Smith doesn't is ridiculous.

Your post didn't say, "Smith has at least some role in this". You went on a rant about some stupid academic 'advisor' position being open and how that should have lit off fireworks in front of trouble-Tubby's eyes. You were suggesting that Smith has the majority of the responsibility and accountability and that Al was a victim... now that, my friend, is ridiculous.

If a coach has a student-athlete with academic issues, that student could be red-shirted for a year, correct? Or at least sit him out for a semester (first, not second) or until his got back on track academically. This is done all the time in other institutions, btw.

Oh really? Since it's done "all the time", why don't you provide just a few recent examples where a junior starter has been sat out a semester, "just so they can get back on track academically". You're lying.

No, Smith obviously doesn't care abouth Nolen's academic health, but he better start. Just as we don't know what goes on behind the scenes regarding Royce White, we also don't know what goes on behind the scenes in this situation.

Didn't say Nolen doesn't have responsibility and accountability, but to suggest that Smith doesn't is ridiculous. If a coach has a student-athlete with academic issues, that student could be red-shirted for a year, correct? Or at least sit him out for a semester (first, not second) or until his got back on track academically. This is done all the time in other institutions, btw.

Afterall, that is why Clem Haskins is no longer the head coach at the University of Minnesota? Lack of academic oversight.

It's in Tubby's contract... his $13 million dollar contract.

DREX

Tubby is responsible for the on court actions, his recruiting, game plan, etc. To blame him for any of this off court garbage is just a stretch. You obviously are trying to take accountability away from these adults. I'm sure you think it takes a "village" to raise our over 18 student athletes but that is a recipe for failure on all levels. Lets hold Nolen accountable, and he is. It has nothing to do with Tubby.

DREX96...Thanks for the resume. I'll post it on Monster.com for you. Just kidding, i'm being a smart arse.

- What happened to personal accountability? Now you are Blaming Tubby because Nolen cannot go to class and he is on a full ride. I hope those that teach my sons basketball will teach them to be accountable for their actions and not to rely on the head coach to make sure they go to class, does their homework, pay their bills, wear protection, etc. Creating a dependent class of kids is no way to lead. No wonder why we have so many athletes getting into personal trouble, ie crime, pregnancy, drugs. Its because they are not held accountable. DREX96 I call on you to change your attitude and start teaching these kids personal accountability. "Teach them to Fish instead of Giving them a fish". What you described is a pathway of lifelong failure...

Thanks for the reference, but unless you can get me one of those non-accountability $13 million dollar deals, I'll keep my current job, thanks.

I do believe in teaching students "to fish." In fact, my "resume" includes a long list of very successful fishermen and women. My point is that Nolen's situation indicates that "fishing" isn't a priority for Tubby's team. That leadership deficit is Tubby's, not mine.

My point, in case you missed it along with the lay up, is that the Nolen situation may be indicative a bigger problem. And it's a problem that the Gopher's have had before...

That is total BS. Tubby has voiced his displeasure in
the staff he had set up to monitor the teams academics. He has also talked in length about the importance of earning a degree and his commitment to the players.

Thanks for the reference, but unless you can get me one of those non-accountability $13 million dollar deals, I'll keep my current job, thanks.

I do believe in teaching students "to fish." In fact, my "resume" includes a long list of very successful fishermen and women. My point is that Nolen's situation indicates that "fishing" isn't a priority for Tubby's team. That leadership deficit is Tubby's, not mine.

My point, in case you missed it along with the lay up, is that the Nolen situation may be indicative a bigger problem. And it's a problem that the Gopher's have had before...

I will call you the Babe Winkleman of the GH.

Nolen knows exactly what he is accountable for, and he failed to live up to that. We are giving Nolen a Fish with his scholarship and it appears he doesn't even know how to eat it. Nolens needed help is beyond Tubby's reach because it lies in the character of Nolen himself. As a matter of fact, I hope Tubby does have a more hands-off approach. This would be better for the players and unlike Clem who was doing homework for his players (giving them a can of Gangelhoff Fish), it is much better for the university.

I'd say the guy who doesn't get it on this thread is you, Dr. Don. Your temper is showing and that's worse than a skirt. Geez, it's a message board. My editor isn't that tough.

Top Bottom