Nolan

MDGopherFan

Reaction score
I'm not sure how others feel, but while I really value Al Nolen's great defensive pressure in games, I cringe when I watch him on the offensive side of the ball. He seems to requently play out of control, often makes poor decisions when driving to the basket, and whenever i see him pull the ball out to mid court and dribble I say to myself "here we go...reckless drive to the basket followed by turnover" Devoe can't get back onto the court fast enough for me.

Disagree a little. Though his shot is ugly, he does have a great first step and makes some great passes to the bigs on penetration. He doesn't finish well at the rim.

Nolen has only been playing for the...

...Gophers for three years and he spent his high school career in the Twin Cities, too. It seems like after all that time a basketball fan with a little respect for the player and a modicum of basketball knowledge could learn to spell his name correctly. And this is not a matter of grammar. It's a matter of knowing what you are writing about.

Learn to spell his name. Then I might read what you write.

If you didn't read what he wrote then how did you know he.............hmmm?

Oh for goodness sake...sorry to all you pompous a-holes for mispelling his name. My point stands about Mr. Nolen.

Learn to spell his name. Then I might read what you write.

Which is worse- getting Nolen's name wrong or jumping on someone for doing it? Quite frankly, Nolen's name is botched on here 40% of the time. You see it both ways so often that it's confusing even to those that know the name well as to which is correct.

I'm not sure how others feel, but while I really value Al Nolen's great defensive pressure in games, I cringe when I watch him on the offensive side of the ball. He seems to requently play out of control, often makes poor decisions when driving to the basket, and whenever i see him pull the ball out to mid court and dribble I say to myself "here we go...reckless drive to the basket followed by turnover" Devoe can't get back onto the court fast enough for me.

I really think I feel hoff is a way bigger liability than nolen. blake at times handles the point and is probably the worst dribbler I have ever seen! blake also tends to throw the lob when he is at half court or further away. and if blake isn't making 3's I don't know what keeps him on the court! nolen can't shoot and struggles at times finishing at the rim but at least he plays solid defense and can get to the rim! we saw last night how badly we need devoe!

be careful...some folks here might take offense to the use of "Hoff" since it isn't the correct spelling of his name :rolleyes:

Oh for goodness sake...sorry to all you pompous a-holes for mispelling his name. My point stands about Mr. Nolen.

I love when they misspell misspell.

I'd like Devoe to be playing, but alongside Nolen as opposed to in his place.

Watch your hopes on seeing Al finish the season. Grades could impact him being eligible again.

I really think I feel hoff is a way bigger liability than nolen...... and if blake isn't making 3's I don't know what keeps him on the court!.........

To backup your excellent point about Blake being a huge liability, I took a look at his most recent game's line for evidence. Here's what I came up with:

16 pts
7 assists
6 rebounds
3 steals
2 TOs

How pathetic. Bench him.

Blake throws one bad lob from half and now suddenly that's a tendency?

blake at times handles the point and is probably the worst dribbler I have ever seen! blake also tends to throw the lob when he is at half court or further away.

The confirmation bias when talking about Nolen and Hoffarber is getting so out of control on this board. How many times does Nolen have to blow by his guy and dish a ball perfectly to a player under the basket for a dunk before we acknowledge it? Does Nolen have to shoot 50% from 3 and 90% from the FT line before people realize he isn't THAT bad at either? How many assists, steals, and rebounds does Hoffarber need for people to admit that he does more than just shoot threes?

The confirmation bias when talking about Nolen and Hoffarber is getting so out of control on this board. How many times does Nolen have to blow by his guy and dish a ball perfectly to a player under the basket for a dunk before we acknowledge it? Does Nolen have to shoot 50% from 3 and 90% from the FT line before people realize he isn't THAT bad at either? How many assists, steals, and rebounds does Hoffarber need for people to admit that he does more than just shoot threes?

Nolen played well at PG in the second half on Monday. The first half, he was ATROCIOUS (hence getting benched.)

He plays well when he's driving the lane and looking for the dish. He plays well when he gets the offense going early in the shot clock. He plays well when he isn't jacking up three pointers early in the shot clock.

My biggest issue with him is that he's a senior. He should have it figured out to play like this for the entire game, rather than a half. If first half Nolen shows up again, I hope Tubby benches him as quickly as he did on Monday.

Nolen played well at PG in the second half on Monday. The first half, he was ATROCIOUS (hence getting benched.)

He plays well when he's driving the lane and looking for the dish. He plays well when he gets the offense going early in the shot clock. He plays well when he isn't jacking up three pointers early in the shot clock.

My biggest issue with him is that he's a senior. He should have it figured out to play like this for the entire game, rather than a half. If first half Nolen shows up again, I hope Tubby benches him as quickly as he did on Monday.

He got benched because he had 2 quick fouls.

Nolen is who he is. If he can be a playmaker we should be fine. If he tries to do more then there will be times we will shut our eyes and hope it is over soon. Joseph has his impact minimized playing point. Nolen's our guy this year for good and bad. And I'm sure it'll be both many days.

How many times will we read posts that rave about Nolans great D? True he is a great ball hawk and at times can apply pressure. But he seldom has shown the ability to be a shut down D. The FR. guard from Sienna had his way with Nolan late in the game which kept Sienna in contention.

To backup your excellent point about Blake being a huge liability, I took a look at his most recent game's line for evidence. Here's what I came up with:

16 pts
7 assists
6 rebounds
3 steals
2 TOs

How pathetic. Bench him.

and those stats are blake's typical average? get real! when hoff isn't making 3's, what does he do? he is slow, defense is soft, and he can't dribble at all!

when blake scores double figures w/o the 3, I might reconsider some of my thoughts!

Blake throws one bad lob from half and now suddenly that's a tendency?

you must not have watched hoff last season, he throws a wild ass lob pass quite a bit! I will stop my negative comments about blake, he must be related to joe mauer cause he is un-rippable!

and those stats are blake's typical average? get real! when hoff isn't making 3's, what does he do? he is slow, defense is soft, and he can't dribble at all!

Lakes, if nothing else, the timing of your commentary, given Blake's last game, was just a bit off.

when blake scores double figures w/o the 3, I might reconsider some of my thoughts!

Because Blake scores most of his points via the 3, this proves he is a general liability how?

you must not have watched hoff last season, he throws a wild ass lob pass quite a bit! I will stop my negative comments about blake, he must be related to joe mauer cause he is un-rippable!

Blake led the team in minutes last year, but was 7th in TOs. Must not have been too many wild-assed lobs.

!!! Hey! Use more !!! It really makes your point seem better when you have none.

Fair enough. It just seems like people generally overlook the stuff that Nolen and Hoffarber do well (besides defense and 3 point shooting) and blow their weaknesses out of proportion. 1st half Nolen wasn't great, but almost all of our plays struggle to play consistently. Even Devoe, who people now think is a bball god since he's currently not playing, is very streaky.

I didn't say he's only thrown one wild lob pass... I asked how many times he's thrown lobs from over half like you claimed is a tendency of his. If throwing wild lob passes is such a problem for him, why did he have less than a turnover a game last year? And it's not like those were typically turnovers from lob passes.

!!! Hey! Use more !!! It really makes your point seem better when you have none.

you're right, I'm wrong! hoff is an awesome ball handler who has no problem creating his own shot! he doesn't rely on just sitting behind the 3 point line! he is also very athletic and shuts down the opposing teams best defenders! no one ever gets concerned when blake is running the point because he is so smooth and possibly the second coming of chris paul!

I was out of line for my comments! I'm sorry

Top Bottom