Nobody wants to say it but

I think Salem, 1word, DavyJones aren't Tubby haters anymore than the rest of us are Tubby lovers.

They are people who want immediate gratification and scream and quit when things don't go their way.

The rest of us see a quality coach enduring a challenging season.

Some of you people have absolutely no idea what it takes to build and maintain a program at a place like Minnesota ...... Tubby knows what he's doing.

This kind of well-reasoned, factually-based post has no business on a thread like this one with 2 jackasses from KY (the state, not the lubricant). Please delete it.

And "baller," Westbrook pisses me off too. His disappearing act is getting really old. At least when Blake doesn't score, he does 5 other things well (not defense, however).

This kind of well-reasoned, factually-based post has no business on a thread like this one with 2 jackasses from KY (the state, not the lubricant). Please delete it.

And "baller," Westbrook pisses me off too. His disappearing act is getting really old. At least when Blake doesn't score, he does 5 other things well (not defense, however).

Westbrook doesn't piss me off.. the muzzle on him does. he is hard nosed... he has kin in the NFL.. you can't expect a kid like that to be a soft gentlman.

Blake needs to be benched... he might do a few things 'well' but if he's not hitting 3's right away, he needs to ride pine. he's a d3 athlete at best. he cannot hit threes with someone in his face (allen from MSU ) nor can he hit them on the move ( John D from OSU )..

Blake needs to be benched... he might do a few things 'well' but if he's not hitting 3's right away, he needs to ride pine. he's a d3 athlete at best. he cannot hit threes with someone in his face (allen from MSU ) nor can he hit them on the move ( John D from OSU )..
Haha, here they come again!

Westbrook doesn't piss me off.. the muzzle on him does.

I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to Tubby. As in, Westbrook pisses me off too - just like he pisses Tubby off.

God that commentary was stupid. And horribly inaccurate too.

blakes 'rebounds' are run-downs of missed shots... mostly FTs ( KG stuffed the stat sheet doing this also )...

have you ever seen him pull-up off the dribble and hit a 3?... he's as close to a set-shooting, low release shooter that there is.

he is not in Diebler's class as was shown today... Diebler kept coming around screen and hitting 3's on the hard move... hard to stop. blake is easy to stop.

blakes 'rebounds' are run-downs of missed shots... mostly FTs ( KG stuffed the stat sheet doing this also )...

have you ever seen him pull-up off the dribble and hit a 3?... he's as close to a set-shooting, low release shooter that there is.

he is not in Diebler's class as was shown today... Diebler kept coming around screen and hitting 3's on the hard move... hard to stop. blake is easy to stop
1) His rebounds have often come in traffic, boxing out bigger guys.
2) His release is about as high as any guard I've seen, it's practically above his head? One thing Hoff doesn't have is a low release.
3) What's funny is the OSU fans have been saying that about Diebler not being in Blake's class the past couple of years, as Hoff has dominated him when they've gone head to head, with the exception being today, not the norm.

You're inaccurate on every point.

NOTE TO UK POSERS

No one says "kin" here. It a sure giveaway.

I'll say this again...

I have an acct. at one of the Kentucky boards. Some of the new nondescript names here actually remind me of my moniker there.

Many UK fans frequent here and say so. The level of hatred - I would call it hatred and so would they - that a type of fan there have for Tubby Smith is a more than little scary. While I find FOT a little annoying, he's a reaction to virulence of the UK fanatics. I think its fair to discuss the performance of the coach but that's not really their agenda.
And they do have an agenda. While we rarely refer to Monson, Tubby is a topic of daily conversation even when they are winning.

ONE MORE THING:

We also don't say "ride pine". We might say "ride the pine" if we said anything like it, but its not a common phrase here like it is in Kentucky.

Now you are saying KG is not a good rebounder.

blake is easy to stop.

He can be stopped, that is true. Quick - how many times has he led the team this year in scoring? How about during the Big Ten season? I'll give you a hint - it's more than zero. I'm not saying he is Michael Jordan or even Diebler. He is, however, quite a bit better than a D3 player and would start for an awful lot of D1 teams. Even good ones. Maybe especially good ones that could cause other problems that would leave him open. Jesus Christ, 'baller', he's shooting 50% from 3 this year. I think I recall seeing him defended on at least one of the 58 three-pointers he's made this year. Or were all 58 at garbage time?

Now you are saying KG is not a good rebounder.

He can be stopped, that is true. Quick - how many times has he led the team this year in scoring? How about during the Big Ten season? I'll give you a hint - it's more than zero. I'm not saying he is Michael Jordan or even Diebler. He is, however, quite a bit better than a D3 player and would start for an awful lot of D1 teams. Even good ones. Maybe especially good ones that could cause other problems that would leave him open. Jesus Christ, 'baller', he's shooting 50% from 3 this year. I think I recall seeing him defended on at least one of the 58 three-pointers he's made this year. Or were all 58 at garbage time?

KG was horrible... a stat-hound... he knew how to stuff stats: KG would be top5 in DR, appx 50th in OR.. always ran down the bunnies ( missed FTs ).... always ran down the missed end-of-quarter/half/game 3's... you'd always see him with one final rebound with one second in each quarter.. that's 4.... then five missed FT.. that's 5 more... nine DRs already.

not saying Hoff can't shoot.. but against the upper-half of the B10, he is a non-factor... this is a credit to him, last year he was a non-factor for the entire b10 season. he is not a Chris Allen high-release shooter which limits him greatly in games like today... when that happens, he should sit... too big a liability in other areas.

KG was horrible... a stat-hound... he knew how to stuff stats: KG would be top5 in DR, appx 50th in OR.. always ran down the bunnies ( missed FTs ).... always ran down the missed end-of-quarter/half/game.

KG:

2000 - 15th in OR, 3rd in DR
2001 - 15th in OR, 5th in DR
2002 - 10th in OR, 2nd in DR
2003 - site not working for this year at ESPN
2004 - 9th in OR, 1st in DR
2005 - 14th in OR, 1st in DR
2006 - 12th in OR, 1st in DR
2007 - 19th in OR, 1st in DR

I know all those rebounds were probably off airballs and plays where a teammate tipped it to him, but please STFU soon.

He is in Diebler's class, as shown the last time they played when Hoffarber scored 27 and Diebler went 2 of 9.

he is not in Diebler's class as was shown today... Diebler kept coming around screen and hitting 3's on the hard move... hard to stop. blake is easy to stop.

I guess you would've told Royce White no on a scholarship. A 5* recruit from MN who recruited himself to the U of M. I guess you knew ahead of time that the JUCO player of the year wasn't going to pan out. I guess you predicted that Trevor, a beast of a man with a higher vertical that Rodney, was going miss the season because of something that we don't even know if he did or not. Tubby is so stupid for recruiting them, right? But you knew better.

Disappointing yes.

Who recruited White and TM? Bostick?

I guess you would've told Royce White no on a scholarship. A 5* recruit from MN who recruited himself to the U of M. I guess you knew ahead of time that the JUCO player of the year wasn't going to pan out. I guess you predicted that Trevor, a beast of a man with a higher vertical that Rodney, was going miss the season because of something that we don't even know if he did or not. Tubby is so stupid for recruiting them, right? But you knew better.

Yes he did. He also predicted the beginning of the Universe, the birth of Jesus, and the fall of the Roman empire.

Tubby took us from a 9 win team to a 20 win team in his first season. Last year he won 22 games in his second season. Sure this year has been disappointing, but I think the future looks bright with the young talent that we have.

Is Tubby that good or was Monson that bad? That is the real question.
I think any coach would have been an improvment over Monson and his 9-22 record.

Also, look at where the bulk of the wins come from.
Pre conference cupcakes. Nothing wrong with that, all teams schedule cupcakes.
Minn also gets the wins over who they should at the bottom of the Big Ten.

However, once the competition gets tough, the wins come few and far between.
Until Minn can win constantly against the upper level teams of the Big Ten they
will remian middle of the pack and an NCAA bubble team most years.

If that is good enough to make some fans happy then so be it.

Is Tubby that good or was Monson that bad? That is the real question.
I think any coach would have been an improvment over Monson and his 9-22 record.

Also, look at where the bulk of the wins come from.
Pre conference cupcakes. Nothing wrong with that, all teams schedule cupcakes.
Minn also gets the wins over who they should at the bottom of the Big Ten.

However, once the competition gets tough, the wins come few and far between.
Until Minn can win constantly against the upper level teams of the Big Ten they
will remian middle of the pack and an NCAA bubble team most years.

If that is good enough to make some fans happy then so be it.

Troll.

I am dissappointed that Friend Of Tubby is pulling the race card. I don't see that here. The Gopher Fans are expressing what everyone is talking about on the street. This might not be New York or LA, but don't pull that crap here.
Dan Monson was ripped to shreds for underperforming. That's all it is. Save the racist comments for when it's appropriate.

Tubby has been a disappointment. No fire in his belly anymore. I see no progress over two years ago. He has been unable to win on the road. Please, don't tell me about the two suspended players who have never played for the Gophers. I can see why there was trouble at KY

I'll never understand why Marsha Brady loved you so!

KG was horrible... a stat-hound... he knew how to stuff stats: KG would be top5 in DR, appx 50th in OR.. always ran down the bunnies ( missed FTs ).... always ran down the missed end-of-quarter/half/game 3's... you'd always see him with one final rebound with one second in each quarter.. that's 4.... then five missed FT.. that's 5 more... nine DRs already.
QUOTE]

Can you be dumber? Seriously, can you? I'd love to see you try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gophergoofball
Tubby has looked disinterested at best this year. You see guys like Izzo and Bo Ryan screaming at their players and refs all game and then you watch Tubby sit in his chair with a sour look on his face. Tubby in the past would have reamed guys today for that lack of effort on D, but today he just seemed relegated to the fact that we were going to get whooped.

As far as next year, how do we know Royce and Trevor will stay committed to this program? If those guys leave and with LW and DJ gone, this team will be awful.

Um, because Royce has said time and time again that he won't play for anyone else other than the Gophers. Thus, assuming he gets his personal life in order, he should be a Gopher. If not, it is reasonble to assume he simply won't play college basketball. As far as Mbakwe is concerned, I'd be surprised if he goes anywhere else either. I doubt someone who really wanted to bail wouldn't have already if they were going to.

You were saying??

KG:

2000 - 15th in OR, 3rd in DR
2001 - 15th in OR, 5th in DR
2002 - 10th in OR, 2nd in DR
2003 - site not working for this year at ESPN
2004 - 9th in OR, 1st in DR
2005 - 14th in OR, 1st in DR
2006 - 12th in OR, 1st in DR
2007 - 19th in OR, 1st in DR

I know all those rebounds were probably off airballs and plays where a teammate tipped it to him, but please STFU soon.

Jake, this tells me he's no better than the 15th best rebounder in the league.. DR's are childs play... also, many of the OR's are when he gets stuffed and retrieves it... that counts as an OR.. imho, he put up many a shot turning into Timmie knowing it would come back.. just another OR that flew under the radar... little did he know that dboy was taking notice.

nonsense... this guy has won a national championship... trust me things will turn around... tell me who would be a better fit to coach this team and then we'll talk... tubby is an oustanding recruiter... the team that he has taken over were guys left over from monson anyway... his players are only sophomores... Joseph and sampson are likely to be big ten stars by the time they get to their senior year(sims and harris of michigan). You can't tell me that tubby smith wasn't responsible for taking a 1 star recruit like al nolen was and teaching him how to become a great defender(one of the best in the country)....johnson was a 2 star recruit...and is now the best defensive player in the big ten...hoffarber we knew had a great shot coming in, but Tubby has shown him how to be a clutch shooter, and has taught him what to work on when the 3's aren't falling...and look at sampson...this guy had raw potential at best...but tubby has transformed him into one of the best...sophmore big men in the Bten... if not the best...Tubby also has many connections...kalin lucas and Cole aldrich would probably gophers right now if Tubby had come in a bit earlier...now tell me who would be better fit to coach this team?

Thank you very much.

Many people seem to think that the future is based upon what has happened in the past at another place.
There is a stock commercial for one of the big brokers that ends with the disclaimer:
"past performance not indicative of future results"
Coaches can lose fire after they have coached for a long time.
Bobby Knight has won Nat Champ., Big Ten Titles, etc. Does anyone think he could hang with the
Elite with his style of play that never changes ?
Denny Crumb WAS a great coach but by the time he left Louis. there is no doubt his better years were behind him.
Pitino has never recreated his success from his days at Kentucky.

I am just saying that everyone thought that because Tubby had won a Nat Champ. (with someone elses players )
that by year 3 he would be one his way at Minn. We were told by some that just having Tubby was a ticket to
the Sweet 16. Now year 3 is here and we are looking at not even going dancing. Yes he was a great improvement
over Monson but lets look deeper than the surface. At 9-22 it would not take much to show a lot of improvement.
Could any average coach come to Minn and make it an improvement on that record ? I don't know.
I am not going to put stock into "what if" others were able to play. They have not played any Div 1 ball so we
do not KNOW for sure if they would be all that was hoped for.

Many have given Tubby a lot of credit for coming to Minn and winning right away. That is fine, give credit where it is due.
That said, if Tubby is going to get credit for the wins he has gotten, then he must also get credit when the team and
players don't do well. It cannot be one sided.
That appears to be the flow of things here. He gets credit for winning but when he loses the blame goes elsewhere.
He is the top man and makes more money in 6 months than most people make in a lifetime.
Tubby has to take some responsibility for the disappointments of this season.

Great, it is time for you to go back to your racist Uk board also. Bye bye.

Top Bottom