Nobody wants to say it but

davyjones

Reaction score
Tubby has been a disappointment. No fire in his belly anymore. I see no progress over two years ago. He has been unable to win on the road. Please, don't tell me about the two suspended players who have never played for the Gophers. I can see why there was trouble at KY

Tubby took us from a 9 win team to a 20 win team in his first season. Last year he won 22 games in his second season. Sure this year has been disappointing, but I think the future looks bright with the young talent that we have.

Are you talking about the young talent on the current team? It better include some new talent because this collection is not going to do the job. As for Tubby's record-he has yet to win over 9 games in a season in the conference. He might not make that this year. Mussleman won the Big Ten his first year.I think Tubby teaches defense and now that the Gophers can't do that anymore --- plus,the offensive scheme is worthless. Precisely what happened at Kentucky.

tubby and the gang can say all they want about how much the off court crap doesnt affect them but in all reality it does affect a team negatively. the minds of hte other players on the team arent entirely focused on the game and mechanics when there are distractions. note the packers 6-10 record last year after favre gate. the team spouted over and over there was no effects, but honestly? it was very apparent the team was not working together right.

in addition, hte loss of the two incoming big guys put a huge dent in the depth, as every school has a fresh set of legs to develop but we dont, really (aside from cobbs).

You're right. We should fire him now and start over. :rolleyes:

He will never be fired at MN-surely not by Maturi.I frankly expected alot more from Tubby

nonsense... this guy has won a national championship... trust me things will turn around... tell me who would be a better fit to coach this team and then we'll talk... tubby is an oustanding recruiter... the team that he has taken over were guys left over from monson anyway... his players are only sophomores... Joseph and sampson are likely to be big ten stars by the time they get to their senior year(sims and harris of michigan). You can't tell me that tubby smith wasn't responsible for taking a 1 star recruit like al nolen was and teaching him how to become a great defender(one of the best in the country)....johnson was a 2 star recruit...and is now the best defensive player in the big ten...hoffarber we knew had a great shot coming in, but Tubby has shown him how to be a clutch shooter, and has taught him what to work on when the 3's aren't falling...and look at sampson...this guy had raw potential at best...but tubby has transformed him into one of the best...sophmore big men in the Bten... if not the best...Tubby also has many connections...kalin lucas and Cole aldrich would probably gophers right now if Tubby had come in a bit earlier...now tell me who would be better fit to coach this team?

If they are not significantly better next year-11-12 conference wins-Tubby will officially be a bust.

I agree with those that say it is not Tubby's fault. No need to rehash all the reasons why not. But, he does have a problem. Like the football team losses feed more losses. It is difficult enough to recruit in Minn., without having to explain to recruits why your team is a loser. I have been watching this process go on in Minn. for years and I don't see it ending no matter who the coach is.

I enjoy the games. I have long ago learned to except reality.

Figi typlifies the Minnesota mindset perfectly. No expectations. Really pathetic.

Many people seem to think that the future is based upon what has happened in the past at another place.
There is a stock commercial for one of the big brokers that ends with the disclaimer:
"past performance not indicative of future results"
Coaches can lose fire after they have coached for a long time.
Bobby Knight has won Nat Champ., Big Ten Titles, etc. Does anyone think he could hang with the
Elite with his style of play that never changes ?
Denny Crumb WAS a great coach but by the time he left Louis. there is no doubt his better years were behind him.
Pitino has never recreated his success from his days at Kentucky.

I am just saying that everyone thought that because Tubby had won a Nat Champ. (with someone elses players )
that by year 3 he would be one his way at Minn. We were told by some that just having Tubby was a ticket to
the Sweet 16. Now year 3 is here and we are looking at not even going dancing. Yes he was a great improvement
over Monson but lets look deeper than the surface. At 9-22 it would not take much to show a lot of improvement.
Could any average coach come to Minn and make it an improvement on that record ? I don't know.
I am not going to put stock into "what if" others were able to play. They have not played any Div 1 ball so we
do not KNOW for sure if they would be all that was hoped for.

Many have given Tubby a lot of credit for coming to Minn and winning right away. That is fine, give credit where it is due.
That said, if Tubby is going to get credit for the wins he has gotten, then he must also get credit when the team and
players don't do well. It cannot be one sided.
That appears to be the flow of things here. He gets credit for winning but when he loses the blame goes elsewhere.
He is the top man and makes more money in 6 months than most people make in a lifetime.
Tubby has to take some responsibility for the disappointments of this season.

Tubby has looked disinterested at best this year. You see guys like Izzo and Bo Ryan screaming at their players and refs all game and then you watch Tubby sit in his chair with a sour look on his face. Tubby in the past would have reamed guys today for that lack of effort on D, but today he just seemed relegated to the fact that we were going to get whooped.

As far as next year, how do we know Royce and Trevor will stay committed to this program? If those guys leave and with LW and DJ gone, this team will be awful

Many people seem to think that the future is based upon what has happened in the past at another place.
There is a stock commercial for one of the big brokers that ends with the disclaimer:
Bobby Knight has won Nat Champ., Big Ten Titles, etc. Does anyone think he could hang with the
Denny Crumb WAS a great coach but by the time he left Louis. there is no doubt his better years were behind him.

I am just saying that everyone thought that because Tubby had won a Nat Champ. (with someone elses players )
that by year 3 he would be one his way at Minn. We were told by some that just having Tubby was a ticket to
the Sweet 16. Now year 3 is here and we are looking at not even going dancing. Yes he was a great improvement
over Monson but lets look deeper than the surface. At 9-22 it would not take much to show a lot of improvement.
Could any average coach come to Minn and make it an improvement on that record ? I don't know.
I am not going to put stock into "what if" others were able to play. They have not played any Div 1 ball so we

Many have given Tubby a lot of credit for coming to Minn and winning right away. That is fine, give credit where it is due.
That said, if Tubby is going to get credit for the wins he has gotten, then he must also get credit when the team and
That appears to be the flow of things here. He gets credit for winning but when he loses the blame goes elsewhere.
He is the top man and makes more money in 6 months than most people make in a lifetime.

The tired old Tubby Won NC With Someone Else's Players is pure racist crap.

Pitino DIDN'T win the NC the year before with THOSE SAME PLAYERS plus 4 better ones (Mercer, Anderson, Prickett, Epps).

Tubby took us from a 9 win team to a 20 win team in his first season. Last year he won 22 games in his second season. Sure this year has been disappointing, but I think the future looks bright with the young talent that we have.

Clearly a disappointing year. The loss of Mbakwe and White plus Nolen (for half of the season) may have cost the Gophers 5 W so far.

Tubby has looked disinterested at best this year. You see guys like Izzo and Bo Ryan screaming at their players and refs all game and then you watch Tubby sit in his chair with a sour look on his face. Tubby in the past would have reamed guys today for that lack of effort on D, but today he just seemed relegated to the fact that we were going to get whooped.

As far as next year, how do we know Royce and Trevor will stay committed to this program? If those guys leave and with LW and DJ gone, this team will be awful

Um, because Royce has said time and time again that he won't play for anyone else other than the Gophers. Thus, assuming he gets his personal life in order, he should be a Gopher. If not, it is reasonble to assume he simply won't play college basketball. As far as Mbakwe is concerned, I'd be surprised if he goes anywhere else either. I doubt someone who really wanted to bail wouldn't have already if they were going to.

I'm so sick of these Tubby haters from the Cats Pause coming on here acting with this drivel after a loss. DavyJones is not a Gopher fan, just a Tubby hater.

tubby did not win a title at UK. He was handed a ready made, torurnament experienced team that that took him along for the ride.

What you see from tubby now is what you get. Muddling thru seasons, not caring about wins and losses or making the tournament as long as he can have his neopitism unquestioned, he is happy.

He was a fish out of water at UK. He was supposed to do fine at UM because UM was not supposed to care about basketball.

If that supposition was wrong, you really made a bad hire. If it was right, then it really doesn't matter except to the handful that gets on the message board.

tubby did not win a title at UK. He was handed a ready made, torurnament experienced team that that took him along for the ride.

So.... his title team in 98 ... being that it was the only team in over twenty years to win the NCAA tourney without a first-team All-American or future NBA lottery pick... means nothing? He didn't win that? Just a gift? OK, dude.

Davyjones, we are picking up more voices everyday......Tubby needs to step it up or go

Davyjones, we are picking up more voices everyday......Tubby needs to step it up or go
Or you 1-2 people have managed to create eerily similar postings by a wide variety of various new posters, all within the past 2 weeks...:rolleyes:

Some of you people have absolutely no idea what it takes to build and maintain a program at a place like Minnesota. Tubby is working his ass off. He's nabbed a couple of top flight recruiting classes and had a couple of risks not pan out because of it. Those are necessary risks to take at Minnesota. It doesn't happen overnight and anyone who expects it to happen overnight is dreaming. And don't tell me that is what makes this the perfect job. I'm not saying I don't expect big things, I do. But, get real. It wasn't going to happen overnight. Hell, when he was hired, there were people on this board who were saying if Tubby could get this program to the NCAA tourney in YEAR THREE it would be a miracle.

Tubby is trying to recruit to a place that plays in a building that was built in 1928. To us, it is a mecca. To a 19-year old kid from Baltimore or Chicago or Atlanta, it is just an old building. Not sparkling like the newer NBA style arenas that many of these guys love. Tubby is doing it without a practice facility within a program that is frankly best known for an ugly fight in 1972 and an academic cheating scandal in 1999. He is doing it on a budget that is dwarfed by Michigan State and Ohio State. Ohio State simply prints money. They are getting a new men's practice facility even though they already have one. Why? Because they have to spend all of their money somehow. No need for private donations. They just pay for it out of their general budget.

As a simple way of comparison, Tubby entered the league with two other coaches. John Beilein at Michigan and Todd Lickliter at Iowa. Tubby inherited a program that had fewer wins than either of those two schools. Lickliter might be fired after this year or next and Beilein (who is an outstanding coach) has his team underachieving, too. Would you trade places with either program? No way.

My point is, it doesn't happen overnight. He was forced to take a couple of risks that so far have not panned out. You have to do that at Minnesota if you want to contend for league titles. Maybe he gets his guys next year. He is bringing in a higher quality athlete, there is no doubt about it.

Is it all perfect? Nope. But, if people can't see progress from where this program was in 2006-07, then they are blind. The progress is obvious. Maybe not as fast as we had hoped. We were hoping to play for a better seed in the tourney at this point of the year, not playing to get back onto the bubble. But, that's where we are.

It will be okay. Tubby Smith and his staff are working their asses off. Jirsa just spent the weekend on the road recruiting. Tubby is traveling this week to recruit. This program is progressing. Again, it will be okay. Tubby knows what he's doing.

You guys from........

Kentucky should be happy with your "cash," basketball. Go make another donation to the Calipari gift fund, and keep those players coming.....we'll just have to muddle through here trying to do it the right way.

davyjones has 12 posts 1 word has 3 posts. Too obvious.

agree 100%
what kills me is he puts a muzzle on his most competitive guy: LW... sure he's mouthy, but so are guys from the Big East. let the team feed off LW or the squabble between LW and Nolen.. instead, tubby steps in and treats them like schoolyard boys..
tubby may not have any fire left, but why is he spending so much energy put out the the little fire that is left?

l think Tubby may sense......

it's wise for 6-0 off guard to keep his yap shut, when he's pi**ing off the 6-8 lottery pick from the other team.

You've got to pick your battles, and Westbrook has only himself to blame for firing up the opposition today.

battles? tubby avoids all battles... to 'rude' in his mind.

so he fires up Turner? throw some double teams at him, put some hard fouls on him... get him focused on his one-on-one... ANYTHING other that just letting him walk into the lane because Tubby decides on the high road here...

low-road: 1
high-road: 0

Top Bottom