No TV for Coastal Carolina game?

Yep. Dick and Jim actually cared about the team and had knowledge beyond the hour or so pregame interview. I get the need for the BTN and the money it's brought to the U but geez let us watch the games. Didn't the BTN forbid the U from broadcasting the women's hockey games too?

I miss Bremer and Dutcher. I think the 'MSC televised every game!' meme is exaggerated (they didn't), but it was nice having announcers who knew the team.

I miss Bremer and Dutcher. I think the 'MSC televised every game!' meme is exaggerated (they didn't), but it was nice having announcers who knew the team.

Some years they even televised the exhibition games.

They were better than the BTN announcers as well. BTN is a joke so far.

They certainly didn't wait till the 5th game to put us on TV. BTN should have a deal with a local station. They get first dibs on our games but if they don't want to put us on TV - the local station can. The goal should be where all B1G schools can watch their teams - not just the chosen few.

They certainly didn't wait till the 5th game to put us on TV. BTN should have a deal with a local station. They get first dibs on our games but if they don't want to put us on TV - the local station can. The goal should be where all B1G schools can watch their teams - not just the chosen few.

Agreed. Even if one of the minor league local stations pick it up, they could just pick up the Gopher all-access feed. It would be better than nothing.

Now that FS North has all the Wolves and Wild games, they wouldn't be terribly inclined to pick them up anyway. It would be nice and being on FSN Plus is better than nothing, but I don't think BTN is inclined to do it.

Now that FS North has all the Wolves and Wild games, they wouldn't be terribly inclined to pick them up anyway. It would be nice and being on FSN Plus is better than nothing, but I don't think BTN is inclined to do it.

There's a lot of other stations besides FSN. Why won't BTN do that? Aren't they supposed to support all 12 member institutions?......obviously they haven't....... assholes.

BTN has a relationship with Fox Sports do they not??

Why cant Fox Sports work something out where they cover the local games on another channel in the regions where these issues consistently pop up?

I still don't understand why BTN doesn't use their alternate channels for basketball games.

I still don't understand why BTN doesn't use their alternate channels for basketball games.

Bingo, I don't understand it either. What's the point of having those channels if you're not going to use them.

How can we let the Big Ten Network know how we feel about their coverage, or lack of coverage, of Minnesota sports ?

Between the lack of tv for basketball games, and the frequent 11 am starts for football games, I am seriously hating the Big Ten Network. I wonder how soon it'll be before they screw up hockey, too.

BTN is good for the $ bottom line of the schools, but for fans it 100% sucks compared to the 'old' tv options ... unless you like watching women's volleyball or wresting or something.

There's no good reason, other then they like to drive the traffic to the online product I guess. It's not the same video quality yet though and I'm tired of watching choppy feeds.

Lots of revisionist history on this thread. The year before the big ten network four home games were completely dark. No tv. No Internet. Two conference games were tape delayed.

Yes fox sports north ruled

It would be even better now with Fox Sports North plus so we could get it even when there is one conflict (though I don't know if we would get this game, it would be going up against the Wolves and the Wild).

The issue is one of TV equality within the BTN. This year the Gophers have 6 games streamed while other schools have 2 to 3 games streamed. Some of that to be fair is because some of the teams (Mich - Mich St - Ohio St) have been featured on ESPN. We haven't .. yet. Indiana hasn't been on ESPN yet but they have just a total of 3 games streamed, 2 of which were exhibition games. Clearly the BTN has it's favorites.

There's no good reason, other then they like to drive the traffic to the online product I guess. It's not the same video quality yet though and I'm tired of watching choppy feeds.

Beyond helping to sell more online subscriptions, I would guess the reason is to reduce costs. A live TV broadcast requires the expense of a satellite truck and perhaps other things (e.g., paid announcers, satellite bandwidth?). That is avoided with a live internet broadcast followed by a delayed TV broadcast. Maybe there's a GopherHoler in the TV business or who can otherwise estimate what the cost of a live broadcast is these days?

Indiana hasn't been on ESPN yet but they have just a total of 3 games streamed, 2 of which were exhibition games. Clearly the BTN has it's favorites.

With a 2-3 games still TBA for TV, Indiana has six games on the BTN during the conference season. Minnesota has 15. Does that mean Minnesota is a BTN favorite?

With a 2-3 games still TBA for TV, Indiana has six games on the BTN during the conference season. Minnesota has 15. Does that mean Minnesota is a BTN favorite?

Probably because Indiana is on ESPN?

That would be a 'no' Maximus. Talkiing streamed game numbers

Beyond helping to sell more online subscriptions, I would guess the reason is to reduce costs. A live TV broadcast requires the expense of a satellite truck and perhaps other things (e.g., paid announcers, satellite bandwidth?). That is avoided with a live internet broadcast followed by a delayed TV broadcast. Maybe there's a GopherHoler in the TV business or who can otherwise estimate what the cost of a live broadcast is these days?

I know satellite windows alone are several hundred dollars per 15 minutes. However, I'm not clear that would be needed to televise a game from Williams arena on channel 23 for example.

The issue is one of TV equality within the BTN. This year the Gophers have 6 games streamed while other schools have 2 to 3 games streamed. Some of that to be fair is because some of the teams (Mich - Mich St - Ohio St) have been featured on ESPN. We haven't .. yet. Indiana hasn't been on ESPN yet but they have just a total of 3 games streamed, 2 of which were exhibition games. Clearly the BTN has it's favorites.

Take a look at the highest rated CBB telecasts in BTN history and you'll see it's littered with Indiana games. They have great fans, they get the highest ratings. Do I think MN ratings are any lower than Iowa, Wisconsin, etc. No. Will the Wiscy-UND match-up do any better tonight than the MN game would have done? Mariginally if a few HH's in ND watch. But not much.

Yes and BTN could save a tremendous amount of money by not broadcasting any games at all. Their sole existence is to broadcast B1G games and content, and yet we have several games that are not on TV while the BTN has dead air on alternate channels. BIG FAILURE

I almost screamed when I was following our last game on ESPN game tracker and it noted a pause for a TV timeout! What TV?

Take a look at the highest rated CBB telecasts in BTN history and you'll see it's littered with Indiana games. They have great fans, they get the highest ratings. Do I think MN ratings are any lower than Iowa, Wisconsin, etc. No. Will the Wiscy-UND match-up do any better tonight than the MN game would have done? Mariginally if a few HH's in ND watch. But not much.

But doesn't the conference members essentially own the BTN? Therefore it should be a little more even as far as coverage.

Not sure though, maybe I'm wrong.

Yes and BTN could save a tremendous amount of money by not broadcasting any games at all. Their sole existence is to broadcast B1G games and content, and yet we have several games that are not on TV while the BTN has dead air on alternate channels. BIG FAILURE

And yet they don't broadcase every track meet, wrestling match, or rowing competition. The BTN is a business and only covers events that they know will make them money. I have no idea what the logistics of covering a basketball game is, but I know it's not cheap. There's a good chance that it's just plain not worth it to them to cover a few preseason games.

Looks like there is a link on firstrowus1.eu

Top Bottom