Nnamdi Adim-Madumere - curious why we haven't seen more of him

I remember reading Lombardi saying that he knew that a guy named Bill Qunilan dogged it during practice drills but let it slide because he knew that on Sunday afternoon Quinlan would be busting ass trying to make a play. Maybe it is different at the pro level, where "winning is the only thing," but if a guy is not causing trouble, I don't think that every guy who plays has to be in lockstep with a coach's culture. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Quinlan
Lombardi picked his spots. The late Henry Jordan once said (and I paraphrase): "Lombardi treats us all the same--like dogs." That simply wasn't true and a great number of Lombardi's players came forward to point out that Lombardi was quite individualized in his approach to players.

Slackers? Where did you read the word, "slackers"? I'd agree, no way Fleck puts slackers out there.

Flecks Pets is probably a more fitting description. These are guys, like Tanner, who live/breath Fleck's culture. They get preferential treatment.

It's not necessarily a bad thing but it could become one.

Where are you getting the idea that Tanner Morgan is the starter because he's "Fleck's pet"? Please be specific.

sure, but after watch the press conference post Indiana. Its clear to me Flecks number 1 priority is his relationship with players who follow his culture 24/7.
PJ will not play the best players to win games. Culture will always triumph winning for him
Culture is the program and equals win for Fleck; that’s his formula/the team’s identity.

Where are you getting the idea that Tanner Morgan is the starter because he's "Fleck's pet"? Please be specific.
I didn't say "starter". But, who else has played a meaningful minute at QB this season? Even when Tanner should have been pulled, he wasn't. It's not because we don't have talent behind Tanner. Look around college football and you'll see coaches from bluer blood programs pull their QBs when they struggle. Yet Fleck is incredibly resistant to letting anyone push him.

Again, I'm not saying it's a bad thing. But it can cloud some judgement calls and may not be the best thing long term.

I didn't say "starter". But, who else has played a meaningful minute at QB this season? Even when Tanner should have been pulled, he wasn't. It's not because we don't have talent behind Tanner. Look around college football and you'll see coaches from bluer blood programs pull their QBs when they struggle. Yet Fleck is incredibly resistant to letting anyone push him.

Again, I'm not saying it's a bad thing. But it can cloud some judgement calls and may not be the best thing long term.

Again, here's your argument: the coaches see the QBs every day in practice, but you see something they don't.

Again, here's your argument: the coaches see the QBs every day in practice, but you see something they don't.
I think the argument is lost on you. The point is Fleck's Pets get a much longer leash. It's a natural thing. I didn't make it up. It has it's up sides and it's down sides. Pretty much like everything in life.

I think the argument is lost on you. The point is Fleck's Pets get a much longer leash. It's a natural thing. I didn't make it up. It has it's up sides and it's down sides. Pretty much like everything in life.

Uh huh. And you know, for a fact, that they are "Fleck's Pets," but you haven't explained how you're so certain that Fleck has "pets".

Are they "pets", in your mind, because they continue to get playing time through successes and failures? If so, how short do you think Fleck's leash should actually be? Do you bench a running back after one fumble, a QB after one INT? Or is it two?

Where is the demarcation line, in your opinion, between stability and "Pet" status?

I'd like to hear it, and I'll bet Fleck would really like to know so that he can remedy the situation.

Uh huh. And you know, for a fact, that they are "Fleck's Pets," but you haven't explained how you're so certain that Fleck has "pets".

Are they "pets", in your mind, because they continue to get playing time through successes and failures? If so, how short do you think Fleck's leash should actually be? Do you bench a running back after one fumble, a QB after one INT? Or is it two?

Where is the demarcation line, in your opinion, between stability and "Pet" status?

I'd like to hear it, and I'll bet Fleck would really like to know so that he can remedy the situation.
DumbitDown, many a running back has sat down for varying amounts of time after a fumble.

I can do one better.

I can understand you have a perspective that differs than mine based on what you see, feel, and understand.

I happen to see it, feel it, and understand it differently than you. No explanation needed.

I wonder if he/others will be signing any hosannas to Mr. Morgan after we beat the Shunks on Saturday?

I can do one better.

I can understand you have a perspective that differs than mine based on what you see, feel, and understand.

I happen to see it, feel it, and understand it differently than you. No explanation needed.
Good post. Will be interesting to see how DumbItDown Murr twists that with a dumb response.

Besides Nnamdi, I have been wondering about WR Jonathan Mann. He has good length and is strongly built: 6’3” 225. He is reputedly pretty fast. I had hoped he might see the field some as a WR this year, but apparently his turn isn’t up yet. Wonder if he’ll have a role next year?

I personally couldn’t give two shits about practice. It’s practice! It’s not a game. All you have to do is watch with your eyes and see the shortcomings it’s not hard. Now does that mean there is a better game day option behind him? I don’t know, no one else has played meaningful snaps other than the wildcat. That being said he’s the best the program has had but I personally would say that I thought AAK and Weber were better overall but that’s just me. I love Tanner Morgan and appreciate all he’s done but I think he’s struggled with loss of dad or coaching changes or both. But the practice deal, yeah that doesn’t matter for the most part. It’s what you can do when the real bullets start flying that matters.

I personally couldn’t give two shits about practice. It’s practice! It’s not a game. All you have to do is watch with your eyes and see the shortcomings it’s not hard. Now does that mean there is a better game day option behind him? I don’t know, no one else has played meaningful snaps other than the wildcat. That being said he’s the best the program has had but I personally would say that I thought AAK and Weber were better overall but that’s just me. I love Tanner Morgan and appreciate all he’s done but I think he’s struggled with loss of dad or coaching changes or both. But the practice deal, yeah that doesn’t matter for the most part. It’s what you can do when the real bullets start flying that matters.
Yep, and when those bullets have been flying Morgan has managed to come out on the winning side more than any other QB in the history of Gopher football

Its absurd to think coaches don't play who they think the best guys will be on Saturday, their jobs and reputation is on the line so winning is their first priority
I will agree, sort of... Fleck has shown that players who don't buy into his "row the boat" philosophy won't see the field, though. I have a feeling that Wright didn't see the field sometimes because of this. I remember when Fleck had Brennan Armstrong (who turned out to be a heck of a QB for Virginia and is the best QB Fleck has had commit) but when Armstrong had some drinking problems, he was "encouraged" to open up his recruitment.

PJ isn't afraid to sit a player who he thinks needs a life lesson... or won't do things the "Fleck Way." He also isn't going to bring a high-star recruit here who doesn't/won't conform to PJ's "Row The Boat" philosophy... and I am A-OK with that. We've seen what happens... Remember the Lydon Murtha situation? I hesitate to bring up the fiasco that happened under the Kill/Claeys regime, but I'm gonna guess that nothing like that will happen under Fleck's watch.

As long as his players hand the ball to officials and do extremely well in the classroom, I'm not going to complain...

The point is Fleck's Pets get a much longer leash. It's a natural thing. I didn't make it up. It has it's up sides and it's down sides. Pretty much like everything in life.
Are you saying that Zack Annexstad... the kid who bought into Fleck's culture hook, line and sinker and won the starting job over Morgan only to lose the job over injuries... isn't one of what you'd call Fleck's pets?

Not sure, but after watch the press conference post Indiana. Its clear to me Flecks number 1 priority is his relationship with players who follow his culture 24/7.

winning is not his number 1 priority.

I still like PJ, but this scares me.

now i now moving forward in any game/s where a player who 100% has done everything PJ has asked of them, that player will not be pulled regardless of how well they might not be playing or if the backup performs better in games.

PJ will not play the best players to win games. Culture will always triumph winning for him
PJ said he thought his QB at Western Michigan had not really bought into what he was selling for a long time until he realized the guy was just sort of subdued compared to PJ… he still played him.

Are you saying that Zack Annexstad... the kid who bought into Fleck's culture hook, line and sinker and won the starting job over Morgan only to lose the job over injuries... isn't one of what you'd call Fleck's pets?

Yes, that's a great question.

I'd love to hear anyone who insists that Fleck has 'pets' and plays favorites try to make the case that Zack Annexstad is on the bench because he has not bought into Fleck's vision for the program. Or that Cole Kramer isn't the every-down starting QB because he isn't 'rowing the boat' with enough brown-nosing enthusiasm.

People post stuff here that is based on absolutely nothing of substance. Pure nonsense. Pulled out of their butts.

Yes, that's a great question.

I'd love to hear anyone who insists that Fleck has 'pets' and plays favorites try to make the case that Zack Annexstad is on the bench because he has not bought into Fleck's vision for the program. Or that Cole Kramer isn't the every-down starting QB because he isn't 'rowing the boat' with enough brown-nosing enthusiasm.

People post stuff here that is based on absolutely nothing of substance. Pure nonsense. Pulled out of their butts.
Lots of conflating happening here.

What I've said is Tanner is Fleck's guy. There will be no other QBs while Tanner is on the roster and healthy (enough) to play, regardless of his play.

I'm not sure Annexstad is in the boat as much now as he was in 2018. We'll find out soon enough though.

Lots of conflating happening here.

What I've said is Tanner is Fleck's guy. There will be no other QBs while Tanner is on the roster and healthy (enough) to play, regardless of his play.

"There will be no other QBs"? This declaration is based on, what... your opinion of Morgan's play, I'm guessing? That appears to be the only thing you have to bolster your argument.

Looking at it objectively, Morgan's play has been historically very good, within the context of Gopher quarterbacking. Yet you seem to be saying that:

— There are better options on the roster than Morgan, AND...

— The reason those better options don't see the field is that Fleck plays favorites.

I'm not sure Annexstad is in the boat as much now as he was in 2018. We'll find out soon enough though.

You're "not sure". Exactly! Well said.

"There will be no other QBs"? This declaration is based on, what... your opinion of Morgan's play, I'm guessing? That appears to be the only thing you have to bolster your argument.

Looking at it objectively, Morgan's play has been historically very good, within the context of Gopher quarterbacking. Yet you seem to be saying that:

— There are better options on the roster than Morgan, AND...

— The reason those better options don't see the field is that Fleck plays favorites.

You're "not sure". Exactly! Well said

"Morgan's play has been historically very good, within the context of Gopher quarterbacking."

lol. This is the most pitiful thing I've ever read here.

"Morgan's play has been historically very good, within the context of Gopher quarterbacking."

lol. This is the most pitiful thing I've ever read here.

Questions:
1) Is there a better option on the roster, and
2) If so, how do you know that next guy up would be better?

Answer:
1) You don't know, and...
2) You don't know.

Your assertion that Fleck plays favorites is something you pulled out of your backside. You have no facts to back it up, just feelings.

Feelings... LOL, indeed.

Tanner Morgan is the starting QB because the Fleck, Sanford & Simon triumvirate think Tanner gives the team the best chance of winning... Period.

Tanner Morgan is the starting QB because the Fleck, Sanford & Simon triumvirate think Tanner gives the team the best chance of winning... Period.
"think" being the operative word. Because they aren't even considering other options when they should be at this point.

"think" being the operative word. Because they aren't even considering other options when they should be at this point.
With all due respect how do you know what has or has not been considered? All you have to go on is who has been under center in games. You have no clue what goes on in practices/meetings....

With all due respect how do you know what has or has not been considered? All you have to go on is who has been under center in games. You have no clue what goes on in practices/meetings....
Interesting point. Neither do you or anyone else responding. So, I just call it like I see it.

If the coaches were considering other/future options we 100% would have seen someone come in relief of Tanner against Iowa.

Top Bottom