NIT vs TOURNY

melbo

Reaction score
Food for thought, would a deep run or possible championship in the NIT be better than a one game trip to the big dance?

A deep run in the CBI is what it's all about. Screw the NCAA Tournament.

No. i can't believe this is even a topic.

Correct Big L.

It is no contest. In terms of experience, marketing the program, playing meaningful games, getting the fans excited, getting future recruits excited-only the NCAAs do that.

I'd rather go one and out at the NCAAs then win the NIT- any time.

Would you rather lose the Rose Bowl or win the Tidy Bowl?

This topic has already been brought up by the genius From the Barn. Look below.

And clearly the next step for this team is the dance. If we don't make it it's because we faded down the stretch. The NIT is no friend to teams going the wrong way. The NIT is for teams that are putting it together to set a stronger foundation for the next year. Basically to confirm they are ready for that next step and to cement in the gains made. I see little benefit for this team in that.

In addition to everything else that's been discussed, here's more food for thought.

Let's say we're a 9-seed in the NCAA tourney. That means we'll likely play a team like Florida State, South Carolina, Texas, etc.; so sure, we could be one and done. And, who knows, maybe we could pull off that upset and draw Duke or UNC and really make some noise (far fetched as it is.)

--OR--

Let's say we make the NIT. We could draw Maryland, Miami (FL), USC, Creighton, NC State, Cincinnati, Kansas State, etc. in the first round. That, too, could be a one-and-done. So, we really can't even assume a long run in the NIT. There's enough balance in college basketball through the Top 100 teams that - the difference in quality between a team seeded 8th in the NCAA and a team seeded 3rd in the NIT is not that big at all. In fact, it literally could come down to one regular season outcome.

Therefore, I'd just as soon try my luck in the big dance. And, in my opinion, any other such thought is ludicrous - solely because there's no guarantee in either field.

This is the problem with your average Gopher fan and this is why coaching basketball at the U is one of the best gigs in America. ZERO EXPECTATIONS.

Name one other program that has a fanbase that even poses this question? This comes up every year on this board. NIT appearances don't do anything for a program in a BCS conference. How many NCAA Tournaments have the Gophers been to, even if you include the Clem years that technically don't exist?? This program has been to the big dance ONCE in 10 years, and hasn't won an official game in like 15 years, and people actually question whether or not they would be better off in the NIT? When you're filling out one of your office pool bracket and any one of the other 50 you fill out, wouldn't it be nice to see "MINNESOTA" in there on a regular basis?

Only in Minnesota do they "celebrate" NIT appearances by hanging a banner. If this team continues to slide and they do end up in the NIT, this season will go down as extemely disappointing. There's no way to sugar coat it. I don't care about the youth, a lot of other teams are young as well. Plus, I always read posts on this board about how winning or losing isn't important this year...it's all about showing progress and improving. Well, this team is regressing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Most fans just shrug their shoulders every year when either the football or basketball teams collapse at season's end. That uis ahy coaching at the U is the best gig around. Tubby is crazy to even think of leaving. You can get paid very handsomely for being mediocre and the fans are OK with it.

Better off in the NIT???? You can't be serious....

This is the problem with your average Gopher fan and this is why coaching basketball at the U is one of the best gigs in America. ZERO EXPECTATIONS.

Name one other program that has a fanbase that even poses this question? This comes up every year on this board. NIT appearances don't do anything for a program in a BCS conference. How many NCAA Tournaments have the Gophers been to, even if you include the Clem years that technically don't exist?? This program has been to the big dance ONCE in 10 years, and hasn't won an official game in like 15 years, and people actually question whether or not they would be better off in the NIT? When you're filling out one of your office pool bracket and any one of the other 50 you fill out, wouldn't it be nice to see "MINNESOTA" in there on a regular basis?

Only in Minnesota do they "celebrate" NIT appearances by hanging a banner. If this team continues to slide and they do end up in the NIT, this season will go down as extemely disappointing. There's no way to sugar coat it. I don't care about the youth, a lot of other teams are young as well. Plus, I always read posts on this board about how winning or losing isn't important this year...it's all about showing progress and improving. Well, this team is regressing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Most fans just shrug their shoulders every year when either the football or basketball teams collapse at season's end. That uis ahy coaching at the U is the best gig around. Tubby is crazy to even think of leaving. You can get paid very handsomely for being mediocre and the fans are OK with it.

Better off in the NIT???? You can't be serious....

Regardless, Tubby HAS way more than Zero Expectations. He's only been to NIT once in 17 seasons. Heck, Pitino has been TWICE this decade.

The Gophers are an NCAA team if they win 3 or 4 of the last 5 games.

This thread proves that there is such a thing as a stupid question.

How is this even a debate? One game in the big dance is priceless from a player development standpoint...

The NCAA Tournament is what it is all about.
If you don't get selected, then the NIT is what you get.

I think BGA asked if it was better to lose the Rose Bowl than to win the Tidy Bowl. You strive for the Rose Bowl, but if you don't get it, you still go play in the Tidy Bowl. As often said, it is more practice time, more games, etc. If the Gophers don't make the NCAA, you can bet Tubby won't turn down an invitation to the NIT.

Just for perspective, I would love it if the Hawkeyes were in this position and I could be discussing a probable/possible NCAA tournament invite. Enjoy it - don't settle for it, don't lower your expectations for future years, but enjoy it nonetheless. Just an outsider's opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

This question gets asked every year.

Don't lay into Melbo just for wondering what people think. While I agree, it's NCAA or nothing, this seems to come across someone's mind every season; this isn't new. Though, the three-game playoff in the CBI is intriguing...

Vaporboy, thanks for the support but I have thick skin and like I said I was just wondering what others thought. Personally I agree that it is NCAA first and formost however any post season play is beneficial to a rebuilding program. Someone once said "you don,t get to great without passing through mediocre."

Top Bottom