NIL and College Basketball

Are BB players going to make more money than FB players granted they are superstars? If that is the case, a fence sitter or those who want to play both sports to think twice.

I bet there will be more money in BB.
Depends on the market, if you had a choice to attend Alabama/OSU in football, that could be more lucrative than possibly any basketball program except for Kansas/UNC type school. A lot more money in football, for the time being at least.

Money talk with NIL is the talk these days.

OT: That is not the only place where money issues crawled into alone.

My cable bill keeps going up. I am finally going to cut cable at the end of this month. Now they have a $17.10 monthly broadcast TV fee, and a $10.00 regional sports fee. They forced the Digital Preferred package upon me in order to get most of the sports channels.

I am keeping it simple with fiber optic internet. Then, for about $65 per month Sling gives me virtually a lot more sports channels. I refused to subscribe to dish.

If the greedy folks that keep buying all the sports broadcast rights catch up with streaming services, I will just bail out on watching sports at home. I'd downgrade my Sling. I'd go to my buddy's house who has a sports altar in his Man Cave, or go to a local watering hole although I don't drink anymore. 💀😰 For the price of food and good company, it is considerably cheaper.

IMHO, Comcast has stuck it to their loyal customers long enough by forcing expensive packages in order to get our sports kick. They don't have any choice. They signed those expensive long sports deals, and they are stuck with all the investment in hardware that may have been surpassed by competitors of all kinds. The day of reckoning for cable is upon us. At least for me.

Last edited:

Hiking, camping, kayaking, exploring, ice fishing, etc... is the new normal. Sports is getting too expensive.

With the money that I saved from not investing in my sports kick, I can get a nice camper.

While I have always loved the Gophers, it may be time to shift my allegiance to my local D3 school. D1 looks on its way to being a dumpster fire.

While I have always loved the Gophers, it may be time to shift my allegiance to my local D3 school. D1 looks on its way to being a dumpster fire.
Only just now?

Not when TV money infiltrated? Not when coaches made huge salaries? Not when players only played for a year and then left?

All of that was good. But now a player can make some money because they have a lot of instagram followers ... and that has ruined it for you?

That just BS, to me. But you have to do you, no problem with that.

You ever heard of the straw that broke the camel's back?

Only just now?

Not when TV money infiltrated? Not when coaches made huge salaries? Not when players only played for a year and then left?

All of that was good. But now a player can make some money because they have a lot of instagram followers ... and that has ruined it for you?

That just BS, to me. But you have to do you, no problem with that.

Why would us out there that like amateur athletics be under any obligation to support the model that you want?

You are more than welcome to go sit in a half full stadium to watch minor league professional sports but being mad at the rest of us that don't want to is the real BS.

Bingo. Not to mention that you are already hearing the very predictable calls from the non-athletics crowd that are asking why cash strapped university systems are going to be paying for free school for people that will be making in some cases 6 or 7 figures from their athletic ability?

Why would us out there that like amateur athletics be under any obligation to support the model that you want?

You are more than welcome to go sit in a half full stadium to watch minor league professional sports but being mad at the rest of us that don't want to is the real BS.
Just silly.

Won't be any real difference. It will still be the same Gophers and same Big Ten. The relative level of the recruits and players won't change. Literally the only thing that will change is that players can make some side money. Isn't even the school having to pay it.

If you really, actually do follow through on your empty threats to stop watching, for such a silly reason -- then good riddance.

Just silly.

Won't be any real difference. It will still be the same Gophers and same Big Ten. The relative level of the recruits and players won't change. Literally the only thing that will change is that players can make some side money. Isn't even the school having to pay it.

If you really, actually do follow through on your empty threats to stop watching, for such a silly reason -- then good riddance.

You know your marketing strategy of getting angry and telling everyone who doesn't like the direction college sports is heading to go to hell, is almost exactly the same as the college athletics establishment itself?

Sorry bud, I know you aren't one of the more intellectual folks on this site, but the numbers don't seem to support your stance. It is always a tough sell to tell your customer base that they owe it to you to hand over their money.

Last edited:

Top Bottom