NIL and College Basketball

MplsGopher

Reaction score
https://www.ncaa.org/about/resource...di-board-adopt-name-image-and-likeness-policy

DI Council recommends DI Board adopt name, image and likeness policy

The Division I Council voted to recommend the Division I Board of Directors adopt an interim policy that would suspend amateurism rules related to name, image and likeness. The board meets Wednesday.

While opening NIL activities to student-athletes, the policy leaves in place the commitment to avoid pay-for-play and improper inducements tied to choosing to attend a particular school. Those prohibitions would remain in effect.

If adopted by the board, the temporary action would remain in place until federal legislation or new NCAA rules are adopted. The policy provides the following guidance to member schools, student-athletes and their families:

• College athletes can engage in NIL activities that are consistent with the law of the state where the school is located. Colleges and universities are responsible for determining whether those activities are consistent with state law.
  • Student-athletes who attend a school in a state without a NIL law can engage in this type of activity without violating NCAA rules related to name, image and likeness.
  • College athletes can use a professional services provider for NIL activities.
  • Student-athletes should report NIL activities consistent with state law or school and conference requirements to their school.
With the NIL interim policy, schools and conferences may choose to adopt their own policies.

Major college basketball players are definitely going to be seeing some $$$, this school year.

But the schools themselves won't be funding that. Will be up to private companies to decide who they want, for what, and at what cost.

So be it.

I think the U should hire someone to help players monetize their social media presence. It can be a student at the U (maybe someone already doing paid social media), or an social media professional.

I really hate this. They already are getting a 100k education for free. I personally wish you could choose. Take the free education or the likeness monies ..not both. You want to make money on yourself you will pay for your college. If you want the free education you can't make $$ on likeness..

Again my opinion on it all...

I hope the Big Ten takes a stance something like that players have to use a professional to manage this stuff. How else will they hope to try to keep track of it and make sure it’s above board???

Players handling it themselves over Twitter DMs ain’t gonna cut it …

I really hate this. They already are getting a 100k education for free. I personally wish you could choose. Take the free education or the likeness monies ..not both. You want to make money on yourself you will pay for your college. If you want the free education you can't make $$ on likeness..

Again my opinion on it all...
The education isn't "free" it requires a lot of work. Many guys are worth more than the value of their scholarship. This is a free-market way of those guys getting paid, while not having to pay guys who aren't worth it. Best of both worlds IMO.

The school cannot hire someone to help the players. That is up to the player to find an advisor or agent to act on their behalf for NIL.
  • College athletes can use a professional services provider for NIL activities. Like an agent, but for NIL purposes only.
from the OP - here is one of the key sections:

While opening NIL activities to student-athletes, the policy leaves in place the commitment to avoid pay-for-play and improper inducements tied to choosing to attend a particular school. Those prohibitions would remain in effect.

In other words, if NIL was already in effect, the Gophers could not promise Holloman or another recruit that "if you sign with us, Company X will sign you to an endorsement deal."

and, as I read the statement, there will be guidelines and limits so that Booster Joe cannot pay players some ridiculous amount of money to endorse his car dealership "if" that player signs with Hometown U.

The school cannot hire someone to help the players. That is up to the player to find an advisor or agent to act on their behalf for NIL.
  • College athletes can use a professional services provider for NIL activities. Like an agent, but for NIL purposes only.
from the OP - here is one of the key sections:

In other words, if NIL was already in effect, the Gophers could not promise Holloman or another recruit that "if you sign with us, Company X will sign you to an endorsement deal."

and, as I read the statement, there will be guidelines and limits so that Booster Joe cannot pay players some ridiculous amount of money to endorse his car dealership "if" that player signs with Hometown U.
The school can’t promise X dollars or Y deals will happen. And you’re probably correct that it can’t hire someone itself, or on behalf of any player, to do the management work.

But I see nothing in there saying that either the Big Ten or the U can’t require that the player hire their own manager.

In fact, I believe it says they’re allowing each school/conf to enact its own policy (in accordance with state law).

Also, there currently is no state law in MN that guarantees college athletes the right to engage in NIL activities, and of course nor is there yet a federal law.

Thus, there is nothing legally stopping the U from decking that it is against school policy, for the time being.

Highly doubt they will, just saying.

Hypothetical:

player X says “I’ve created a personal brand logo and am going to order some premium tshirts printed up with it, $35/each, let me know if you want one”.

Rich booster Y replies “I love that logo, and I love tshirts, give me 10 thousand!”

Is this above board? What say you all?

This is just the beginning. Schools with deep donor pockets will thrive even more so with this model. This is bad from a competitive balance standpoint with the major sports, but I can’t fault the players for pushing for this.

This is just the beginning. Schools with deep donor pockets will thrive even more so with this model. This is bad from a competitive balance standpoint with the major sports, but I can’t fault the players for pushing for this.
would imagine it's also going to make the G league have to massively up salaries if they want any of the top tier guys, otherwise they'll go back to being the also ran league again

would imagine it's also going to make the G league have to massively up salaries if they want any of the top tier guys, otherwise they'll go back to being the also ran league again
Wouldn’t the NIL income be additive to g league salaries

and if they go overseas would the NIL income drop? For example, could Steffon actually make more in NIL playing for the gophers vs playing pro ball overseas?

If I were an AD, players may seek to cash in on their likeness, but they wouldn’t be doing it in my school’s uniform. I know there are many fans who share my opinion that it’s the name on the front of the jersey that matters. I only care about the individuals because they’re part of my team. Let them cash in on their likeness wearing a generic tank top, if they must.

and if they go overseas would the NIL income drop? For example, could Steffon actually make more in NIL playing for the gophers vs playing pro ball overseas?
No one is going to pay for your NIL if you're playing for the Sioux Falls Sky Force. At least, not much.

I mean yes as a professional you can already sell your likeness but being a star player on a top team in March Madness has a much higher visibility than playing in the G League and thus would likely make a higher endorsement income. Would it make up the bonus of a salary in the G-League? That's too be seen.

If I were an AD, players may seek to cash in on their likeness, but they wouldn’t be doing it in my school’s uniform. I know there are many fans who share my opinion that it’s the name on the front of the jersey that matters. I only care about the individuals because they’re part of my team. Let them cash in on their likeness wearing a generic tank top, if they must.
This is an interesting argument.

The players could argue that the Gophers uniform is an integral component of the NIL that makes it valuable, and thus cannot be separated. I wonder if such types of arguments would hold any legal water. Guessing we will find out soon enough.

I would guess a lot of people may or may not have trouble identifying a particular player, in street clothes. But you put that uniform on, "oh, that's so and so!"

Granted ... a lot of these issues seem more pronounced in football, with huge team sizes and players wearing helmets. Probably not nearly as much an issue in basketball.

I think everyone is missing the best part about NIL... THE RETURN OF 2K COLLEGE HOOPS!!!

Is that confirmed?
Of course not lol I thought they only did away with those games in the first place because of issues with NIL. I'm just making hopeful assumptions now that the NIL doors are wide open.

In case you missed it, the NCAA came out and said that all players can pursue NIL opportunities. the NCAA is also calling on Congress to pass national legislation to avoid having each state adopt its own NIL laws, and risk having different requirements from state to state.

But as of July 1, Pandora's Box is wide open. Players may hire someone to assist them in marketing their Name, Image or Likeness.

If I do not see Daniel Faalele doing ads for a Big-and-Tall Men's store, I will be really disappointed.

In case you missed it, the NCAA came out and said that all players can pursue NIL opportunities. the NCAA is also calling on Congress to pass national legislation to avoid having each state adopt its own NIL laws, and risk having different requirements from state to state.

But as of July 1, Pandora's Box is wide open. Players may hire someone to assist them in marketing their Name, Image or Likeness.

If I do not see Daniel Faalele doing ads for a Big-and-Tall Men's store, I will be really disappointed.
His hair cut could sell just about anything

It is actually great for competitive balance, which has never existed. The schools that aren’t glitzy enough to get Nike, Addidas and Under Armour to pay players to attend their University will now be on equal ground.

Everyone has a fair shot. If you don’t think this has been happening for decades, you live in fantasy land.

It is actually great for competitive balance, which has never existed. The schools that aren’t glitzy enough to get Nike, Addidas and Under Armour to pay players to attend their University will now be on equal ground.

Everyone has a fair shot. If you don’t think this has been happening for decades, you live in fantasy land.
ah yes, totally equal. you realize Nike, Adidas, Under Armour can still do this right? Now instead, in theory, Phil Knight can tell players considering Oregon that he will purchase 10000 shirts with players NIL on it and sell them in his local stores. The same schools still have a massive amount of power and it has now just become more concentrated across the top. For a random small company, the potential ROI probably ain't gonna be big enough for them to leap on a random college kid who isn't going to help them pull anything. Instead, you just allowed the "what's been happening for decades" under the table, to become above table. That everyone CAN do this doesn't everyone will.

I have a great pitch for American Express to sign up Gopher men's basketball players for next year:

"Do you know me? I'm a Division 1 college basketball player, but nobody knows my name. that's why I use American Express........"

Are BB players going to make more money than FB players granted they are superstars? If that is the case, a fence sitter or those who want to play both sports to think twice.

I bet there is a bigger payday potential in BB.

Last edited:

Top Bottom