Nice- Taikwon Paige decommits?

Brew just can't afford to role the dice on so many academic risks. Relying on these marginal academic guys is not the way to build the foundation of a solid program. This is happening too often and is a sign of deeper problems in Brew's management of the team. If this is the type of guy he is recruiting watch for more problems to develop with those he managed to get on campus.

The fact is you don't know for sure either so if people want to speculate let them speculate. Merely sharing information you got from another service does not make it a reality and does not give you any sort of insider info. If GI said it then it must be true right, good luck with the gophers this year coach kiffin.

Honestly, he said more to GI than I mentioned but it doesn't show Taikwon in the best light so I don't want to post it for internet fodder. We 're talking about a kid and his future and it is reasonable to believe his football playing career may be over because of academics. I feel pretty bad for him and I wish him well for getting it figured out and having a good future. This just doesn't seem like the place to talk about anybody's academics in detail.

I just don't like reading about people pulling the Sid line that the football team can't compete because the University admissions doesn't let them, or that they rip on the team for not being able to keep commits when you don't know what is going on.

Really? So you can speculate and that's it?

I guess we'll wait for "something else I haven't thought of" instead of fact.

I was just trying to give plausible reasons in an attempt to have you guys drop the discussion. Consider it 99% likely that the reason was included in that list.

Brew just can't afford to role the dice on so many academic risks. Relying on these marginal academic guys is not the way to build the foundation of a solid program. This is happening too often and is a sign of deeper problems in Brew's management of the team. If this is the type of guy he is recruiting watch for more problems to develop with those he managed to get on campus.

:confused:

So, how many of last year's recruits appear to be "problems"? The name of the game is having kids earn degrees. I personally don't give a rat's rear end about ACT scores. It should be pretty obvious that with a little studying it's not too tough to get over 20.

If you recruit a kid and he tells you things are fine as far as school how do you determine otherwise? It's up to the coaches to determine if they think the kid can make it in school. The kid has to make it through admissions. That's the process. I'm not going to worry about it until kids start flunking out. Based on last year, I'm not worrying yet. However, if we start signing armed robbers, like our previous coach, then I'll worry.

Paige wasn't going to enroll until summer at the earliest I thought. I doubt he was turned down by admissions right now. I'd think he'd want to complete the next semester of JC before he'd even apply.

I could be wrong but I think he just de-committed to look elsewhere.

As for admissions. I think schools have like a 10 percent window to admit athletes that don't meet a school's standard as long as they meet the NCAA guidelines. So I don't agree with Sid on the "can't get kids into MN" comment

Transfer students go through a different process than incoming freshman. The admissions office did in fact tell him that it did not look like he would not be able to gain admission.

Paige mentioned that U admissions called him

I think this information was coming from Paige and reported at GI. Paige himself said U admissions
called him yesterday and said that in all likelihood he would not be admitted to school. Paige also indicated that he had grade issues with classes at his JUCO and this is likely the reason why he did not gain admission. Not sure if that is the case, just paraphrasing what I read. Likely did not meet minimum standards to transfer in and be accepted at least that. Just sounds like one of those deals that did not work out. Do not blame the coaches or Roof that anything fishy was going on, this Paige did not get admitted to the U that's about it as to why he is not going to be here.

THE GRADES JUST CAME IN AND HE FAILED A COUPLE CLASSES. BLEW HIMSELF OUT OF THE WATER.

Sir, you need an education. We lost two players out of the 30 player 2008 class due to academics- TWO. And both of those players promptly enrolled in universities elsewhere. In the SEC, where there are no academic standards, they lose far more each year. Last year, I think Miami (of the ACC) lost like FIVE to academic failure. Hope this helps.

I guess I would like to see the data because Texas is ranked higher academically than the U in virtually every publication.

Any credible rankings would have Minnesota and Texas similarly ranked. But that has absolutely nothing to do with the admission policies of academically at-risk athletes.

Sir, you need an education. We lost two players out of the 30 player 2008 class due to academics- TWO. And both of those players promptly enrolled in universities elsewhere. In the SEC, where there are no academic standards, they lose far more each year. Last year, I think Miami (of the ACC) lost like FIVE to academic failure. Hope this helps.

Actually 4 last year, two are getting in this year.

I don't want to sound a negative way, this is not meant to be negative but I'm kind of curious though, in ten years how many of Mason's commitments didn't get into school?

Actually 4 last year, two are getting in this year.

I don't want to sound a negative way, this is not meant to be negative but I'm kind of curious though, in ten years how many of Mason's commitments didn't get into school?

McField didn't make it because he went to prison instead. :eek:

Top Bottom