Nice- Taikwon Paige decommits?

Handsome Pete

Wartime Hero Fool
Reaction score
No longer listed as a commit on GI. That Ted Roof is a real class act. He's right where he belongs in the SEC.

EDIT- I shouldn't speak so soon. GI no longer lists an offer for Paige.

No longer listed as a commit on GI. That Ted Roof is a real class act. He's right where he belongs in the SEC.

EDIT- I shouldn't speak so soon. GI no longer lists an offer for Paige.

It is really not that uncommon if Roof did contact Paige. I would assume that if we hire a current collegiate OC and he has some connections with recruits that will benefit the gophers that we would be expecting him to try to lure them to the gophers.

The offer box is no longer checked on his Rivals page for MN.

I heard it was admissions. Either way, Brew better start coaching or this will get ugly. Nice BB game tonight btw.

Paige had difficulty with admissions.

It seems a little early in the year to say a guy cannot qualify academically. Do we know for sure it is academics or is it a case of not wanting to have to admit losing a recruit this late possibly to Roof.

This kid gets in at USC, Florida, and Texas. Another reason its so tough to recruit at MN

This is why I question if it was truly academics as I have a hard time believing that our standards are more stringent than Texas and USC.

It seems a little early in the year to say a guy cannot qualify academically. Do we know for sure it is academics or is it a case of not wanting to have to admit losing a recruit this late possibly to Roof.

Seriously, this seems fishy to me. What is different now, than 12 days ago when he committed? He's had, what, 4 days of class? Look at guys like Gray and Reeves, they didn't qualify until January - it seems way to early to make this call...especially when he was good to go less than 2 weeks ago.

If he decided he wanted to go somewhere else, that's fine. Just call it that. I still think Roof was our best coach, I can't imagine some recruits would want to follow him, especially to a school like Auburn.

Am I missing something? Does anyone know the background into this "admissions" reason? I'm not saying it's not possible, I guess I just don't know enough of the situation to buy it.

Am I missing something? Does anyone know the background into this "admissions" reason? I'm not saying it's not possible, I guess I just don't know enough of the situation to buy it.

It likely is an issue that came up after the classes he took at JUCO were looked at.

definitely admissions, transfers are reviewed and processed differently than incoming freshman, that why the timing seems weird. he might have also had an issue with a class this last semester that they just got wind of. No way he ends up at Auburn.

definitely admissions, transfers are reviewed and processed differently than incoming freshman, that why the timing seems weird. he might have also had an issue with a class this last semester that they just got wind of. No way he ends up at Auburn.

If this is the case then I am assuming that we will see the other schools pull their offers as well.

There are a few too many people who still believe in the Sid philosophy that our admission standards are way tougher than other schools. Gray would not have gotten into any school last year, same with Reeves.

When recruiting "higher starred" athletes, the out of state players we go after are probably going to have some risk.

"When recruiting "higher starred" athletes, the out of state players we go after are probably going to have some risk."

This statement, by famous troll poster Nemosgold, is ludicrous. It implies that "higher starred" athletes from Minnesota would NOT be as risky as those from out-of-state. While that's possible, it's not certain.

If it is true that Paige's offer was rescinded, or that he chose to de-commit, it's too bad -- but it's better that it happened now so that Brew & Co can move on to their next targets.

Go Gophers!!!

if we only lose this one guy out of losing both our coordinators I will be shocked and so happy.

There are a few too many people who still believe in the Sid philosophy that our admission standards are way tougher than other schools. Gray would not have gotten into any school last year, same with Reeves.

When recruiting "higher starred" athletes, the out of state players we go after are probably going to have some risk.

Gray's problem had nothing to do with anyones admissions... the NCAA flagged his ACT score. So your right it had nothing to do with our admissions with that particular kid.

Regardless, the Gophers seem to have lost a very needed player! Hopefully they will make it up some way!

"When recruiting "higher starred" athletes, the out of state players we go after are probably going to have some risk."

This statement, by famous troll poster Nemosgold, is ludicrous. It implies that "higher starred" athletes from Minnesota would NOT be as risky as those from out-of-state. While that's possible, it's not certain.

If it is true that Paige's offer was rescinded, or that he chose to de-commit, it's too bad -- but it's better that it happened now so that Brew & Co can move on to their next targets.

Go Gophers!!!

The higher starred athletes from Minnesota are interested in Minnesota because they are from Minnesota. The ones from out of state are kids looking for a chance and someone to take them. I'm not ripping on anyone. I'd bet you big bucks that many of our higher starred athletes from out of state have lower ACT scores than the Minnesota kids.

Was he already in town? When do classes start? Maybe he got into town this week or yesterday and ran into the coldest day of the last ten years. Just imagine showing up from Georgia yesterday and walking out of the airport during the worst weather I can ever remember.

Paige wasn't going to enroll until summer at the earliest I thought. I doubt he was turned down by admissions right now. I'd think he'd want to complete the next semester of JC before he'd even apply.

I could be wrong but I think he just de-committed to look elsewhere.

As for admissions. I think schools have like a 10 percent window to admit athletes that don't meet a school's standard as long as they meet the NCAA guidelines. So I don't agree with Sid on the "can't get kids into MN" comment

Paige wasn't going to enroll until summer at the earliest I thought. I doubt he was turned down by admissions right now. I'd think he'd want to complete the next semester of JC before he'd even apply.

I could be wrong but I think he just de-committed to look elsewhere.

As for admissions. I think schools have like a 10 percent window to admit athletes that don't meet a school's standard as long as they meet the NCAA guidelines. So I don't agree with Sid on the "can't get kids into MN" comment

At this time, that is what it looks like, especially since Roof is suppose to have been the one to recruit him the hardest and if Paige reads this or the other Gopher boards, over 90% of the posts have been anti-Cosgrove!

Guys, just drop it with the comments because you are all talking about things that you have no idea about. He told GI that he was notified this week that he is not eligible to transfer to the University of Minnesota. That is the only factual information that has been passed along on this board about the situation. It could have been poor performance in current classes, it could have been classes at Juco to not qualifying with the U, it could have been high standards at the U that are "unfair" or it could be something else that I haven't thought of. We don't know so your comments have no validity. The theory that it has something to do with Roof are off base.

Lets all hope that everything can work out well for Taikwon and he has an opportunity to succeed somewhere. I was really excited about his as a Gopher so this hurts but hopefully he can make the best of the situation.

Guys, just drop it with the comments because you are all talking about things that you have no idea about. He told GI that he was notified this week that he is not eligible to transfer to the University of Minnesota. That is the only factual information that has been passed along on this board about the situation. It could have been poor performance in current classes, it could have been classes at Juco to not qualifying with the U, it could have been high standards at the U that are "unfair" or it could be something else that I haven't thought of. We don't know so your comments have no validity. The theory that it has something to do with Roof are off base.

Lets all hope that everything can work out well for Taikwon and he has an opportunity to succeed somewhere. I was really excited about his as a Gopher so this hurts but hopefully he can make the best of the situation.

The fact is you don't know for sure either so if people want to speculate let them speculate. Merely sharing information you got from another service does not make it a reality and does not give you any sort of insider info. If GI said it then it must be true right, good luck with the gophers this year coach kiffin.

MN vs. Out of State ACT Scores

"The higher starred athletes from Minnesota are interested in Minnesota because they are from Minnesota. The ones from out of state are kids looking for a chance and someone to take them. I'm not ripping on anyone. I'd bet you big bucks that many of our higher starred athletes from out of state have lower ACT scores than the Minnesota kids."

Again, you're making conclusions that MAY be true (at least some of the time) but, as the song from Porgy and Bess goes, "It ain't necessarily so."

Kids from Minnesota who have high star ratings who choose to go to MN aren't always doing so because they are from MN. Of course, some kids grow up dreaming of playing for their "home" school. Perhaps that was one of the things that drove Sam Maresh's choice...?

As to your second statement: "I'd bet you big bucks that many of our higher starred athletes from out of state have lower ACT scores than the Minnesota kids" -- where should I begin???

First and foremost, Minnesota is recognized nationally as having one of the top education systems in the country, which would suggest that MN kids would be more likely to post relatively high scores on tests like the ACT.

From the ACT's own website, Minnesota's average composite score for 2008 was 22.6, which was good for a tie with Delaware for the 5th highest average composite score in the country.

Compare that to the composite scores for some of the more recognized football talent-rich states:
Ohio (21.7)
Texas (20.7)
Illinois (20.7)
Florida (19.8)

All of these scores are at at least 24th or below, esssentially in the bottom 50% of average composite scores for states.

Is the reason for these states' lower average composite scores because kids in those states are, on average, more physically gifted and therefore less able to score well on the ACT? Or, is it a combination of many factors, including how good their schools were, how much was expected of them (or how little), parental involvement, etc...?

Go Gophers!!!

Really? So you can speculate and that's it?

I guess we'll wait for "something else I haven't thought of" instead of fact.

"The higher starred athletes from Minnesota are interested in Minnesota because they are from Minnesota. The ones from out of state are kids looking for a chance and someone to take them. I'm not ripping on anyone. I'd bet you big bucks that many of our higher starred athletes from out of state have lower ACT scores than the Minnesota kids."

Again, you're making conclusions that MAY be true (at least some of the time) but, as the song from Porgy and Bess goes, "It ain't necessarily so."

Kids from Minnesota who have high star ratings who choose to go to MN aren't always doing so because they are from MN. Of course, some kids grow up dreaming of playing for their "home" school. Perhaps that was one of the things that drove Sam Maresh's choice...?

As to your second statement: "I'd bet you big bucks that many of our higher starred athletes from out of state have lower ACT scores than the Minnesota kids" -- where should I begin???

First and foremost, Minnesota is recognized nationally as having one of the top education systems in the country, which would suggest that MN kids would be more likely to post relatively high scores on tests like the ACT.

From the ACT's own website, Minnesota's average composite score for 2008 was 22.6, which was good for a tie with Delaware for the 5th highest average composite score in the country.

Compare that to the composite scores for some of the more recognized football talent-rich states:
Ohio (21.7)
Texas (20.7)
Illinois (20.7)
Florida (19.8)

All of these scores are at at least 24th or below, esssentially in the bottom 50% of average composite scores for states.

Is the reason for these states' lower average composite scores because kids in those states are, on average, more physically gifted and therefore less able to score well on the ACT? Or, is it a combination of many factors, including how good their schools were, how much was expected of them (or how little), parental involvement, etc...?

Go Gophers!!!

I teach, you've stated nothing that I didn't know. All I'm saying is we're taking shots at higher academic risks, some of them are not going to get into school. Two of our 4 stars are getting in this winter, 2 from last year never made it into school.

Top Bottom