NFL Draft

It makes absolutely ZERO sense....if Cousins basically plays the next two seasons, his third season becomes guaranteed. That's why he took the Atlanta offer. That means they either eat a boatload of $$$ or they wait till year 4 of Penix's contract to start him. By that time he will be 27-28 and they will then have to decide if they are going to pay him big time starting qb money the following season!! The reason you draft a QB in the first round nowadays is hopefully you can have a starting QB making rookie contract money (als Brock Purdy and CJ Stroud and Jordan Love). Dumbest pick ever.
They should still get a year or two with Penix on a rookie salary, but agree this was dumb. Happy the Vikings moved on though. Even better if the Falcons aren’t actually going to try to win with Cousins.

I don’t know if JJ is an NFL QB but he has a great head on his shoulders. If nothing else, he’ll be easy to root for.

Interesting thought, but that kinda sounds like Cousins went there to win (high draft pick offensive weapons) and now they plan on just using him to groom the replacement for later on?

I'd hold out and ask for a trade if I were him, but make Atlanta eat the salary like Denver did for Wilson.
He's coming off a big injury, has taken some huge hits on the last couple years, and is getting up there. Two years guaranteed on his contract right now. If I were him, I would sit tight, play, and collect his guaranteed $100M.

They should still get a year or two with Penix on a rookie salary, but agree this was dumb. Happy the Vikings moved on though. Even better if the Falcons aren’t actually going to try to win with Cousins.

I don’t know if JJ is an NFL QB but he has a great head on his shoulders. If nothing else, he’ll be easy to root for.
Only if you root for the Vikings. I could care less who they drafted.

I was told wrong, thanks.
I mean, he is 24 in like a week. So, unless Atlanta wants to eat major $$$$, he won't start until he is 28 and change.

Its quite possibly the worst pick ever when factoring his age, the 180 million guy they just signed, the significant needs on defense, the fact they could have had their pick of any defensive player, his terrible injury history and it was a top 10 pick who will hold a clipboard for awhile, possibly 3 years. Amazingly, their next pick was equally awful.

BSF is 14th on the “Best Available” list and there are 17 teams left to pick at 6:40 PM.

He got decent chance to be drafted 👍

Five minutes later, BSF still 14th “best available” but only 13 teams left to pick.

Not looking good.

You have a point with the first question, but don't act like you don't know the family he is referring to simply because he got one letter wrong in the last name.

Are you another one of Mpls Gopher's alt accounts?
Man, the weirdest things trigger you.

I'll make sure to run my posts by you in the future before I make them. Your permission is very important to me.
Asking about sarcasm and offering an illustration of an extreme example. Chances this would actually happen? Far, far less than reading about PJ selling another house within five years.

It makes absolutely ZERO sense....if Cousins basically plays the next two seasons, his third season becomes guaranteed. That's why he took the Atlanta offer. That means they either eat a boatload of $$$ or they wait till year 4 of Penix's contract to start him. By that time he will be 27-28 and they will then have to decide if they are going to pay him big time starting qb money the following season!! The reason you draft a QB in the first round nowadays is hopefully you can have a starting QB making rookie contract money (als Brock Purdy and CJ Stroud and Jordan Love). Dumbest pick ever.
Cousins doesn't get the full 3rd year if he's dropped after 2. He's guaranteed $100 MM with I 've heard it's an additional $12 MM if the Falcons bounce him (I don't know if the $12 MM is part of the $100 MM. You may know otherwise, but the sports media has been reporting it as $100 MM ever since the ink was dry.

I'm not totally in on the pick and I think it's both a substantial reach (I think Penix is very one-dimensional and I question whether his skill set is going to fully translate at the NFL level) and complicates matters vis-a-vis Cousins. That said, the Falcons see him as their successor to Cousins, if not after two years than after three. I've never been a pro scout or worked in any player evaluation capacity, but if the Falcons think Penix is their guy, that's their guy.

Cousins doesn't get the full 3rd year if he's dropped after 2. He's guaranteed $100 MM with I 've heard it's an additional $12 MM if the Falcons bounce him (I don't know if the $12 MM is part of the $100 MM. You may know otherwise, but the sports media has been reporting it as $100 MM ever since the ink was dry.

I'm not totally in on the pick and I think it's both a substantial reach (I think Penix is very one-dimensional and I question whether his skill set is going to fully translate at the NFL level) and complicates matters vis-a-vis Cousins. That said, the Falcons see him as their successor to Cousins, if not after two years than after three. I've never been a pro scout or worked in any player evaluation capacity, but if the Falcons think Penix is their guy, that's their guy.
I think his third year becomes guaranteed if he's still there next year.

I've heard from 2 different peeps on sports radio (KFAN and ESPN so take it FWIW) but my understanding is the 3rd year is guaranteed if he plays the first 2. Like literally healthy and plays----no other performance threshold. They were evidently very cognizant of writing the contract that way so that the 3rd year was basically guaranteed. The Vikings were not willing to do that.

In the same vein though, defenses are built to stop righties too.
So 10 other guys on offense have change to fit him. He’s handing off differently. If they practice with Cousins and somehow have to play with Pennix the whole game has to be reversed.

That’s why the amount of successful lefty QB is minuscule.

The 2025 draft as far as Gopher players looks a bit iffy. I would say that Jackson and Kekich would get drafted late and maybe Carrol as a guard and Walley might sneak in late. 2026 might be the best with Ersery, Joyner and Logan-Redding.

I've heard from 2 different peeps on sports radio (KFAN and ESPN so take it FWIW) but my understanding is the 3rd year is guaranteed if he plays the first 2. Like literally healthy and plays----no other performance threshold. They were evidently very cognizant of writing the contract that way so that the 3rd year was basically guaranteed. The Vikings were not willing to do that.
You may be right, but the national media keeps the drumbeat of $100 MM guaranteed as in two years at $45 MM and a buyout after two years. Leber was saying the same thing this morning, Leber also thought the Penix choice was ridiculous at a number of levels and I agree with that take.

It only makes sense if you consider it expensive injury insurance. If Kirk goes down for the count again, theoretically Penix can step up and perform better than, say a guy like Heineke.

So 10 other guys on offense have change to fit him. He’s handing off differently. If they practice with Cousins and somehow have to play with Pennix the whole game has to be reversed.

That’s why the amount of successful lefty QB is minuscule.
Not because lefties make up 12% of the general population?

He's got all of the physical tools and the intangibles. Let's see how KOC "coaches him up".
I admittedly haven't seen a lot of all the QBs that were drafted, but of them, I think McCarthy has the best football instincts. I thought the key play in the national championship game was when McCarthy ran for a first down on third-and-long in the second half right after Washington had scored and had momentum. A passing play was called and when it broke down, McCarthy didn't dawde or try to make something out of nothing. He was decisive and took off. I can't say what others would have done and it's only one play, but McCarthy just seems to have knack and vision that is really impressive. He played with a lot of great players, but Penix had four receivers that were drafted (two before Michigan's best receiver was drafted) and was in an offense that really allowed him to blow up. I'm not saying Penix won't succeed in the NFL, but he's pretty much one-dimensional.

Didn't see it elsewhere, but Kyler Baugh signed with the Saints as a UDFA. Don't know if it's a tryout or there's guaranteed money.

Saw the report of Crooms signing with the Cowboys in the Spann-Ford thread.

Beanie Bishop signed with the Steelers.

Top Bottom