Next Gopher Head Coach

I also agree with you that I don’t expect Coyle to make a high-stakes decision simply to fill a quota, and if Gates is hired, my assumption will be that Dutcher/Smith didn’t work out for any number of reasons.
Agree

Saw this on Goodman's feed. Def an inspiring leader/coach:

Dennis Gates

@coachdgates

·
17h

As a Marquette GA 2003 I drove Kelvin Sampson to OHare Airport. I knew the ride would be memorable I didn’t know it would be so impactful. After my 1million ?’s, I later received this in the mail. Advice to GAs 1)Ask ?’s 2)Do your very best 3)Keep 2hands on the wheel 4)Give Back

Wow. Way to simplify a guy down to the color of his skin. Pretty sure plenty of us have listed numerous things we like about Gates that have nothing to do with him being black.

Too bad it's so black and white (pun intended) for you. Furthermore, your first paragraph (and the candidate you're saying would get "real basketball fans" excited) is not even based in reality or has any chance of actually happening.
I'm not the person simplifying it down to the color of his skin. Let's be honest for a second here. We would not be talking about Gates as anything more than one of many on a list were it not for that differentiating factor. He has not done that much yet. Certainly Smith has done more, as has Medved, as has Moser, Ben Jacobsen and a host of others. If he's hired, I'm fine and I will be all in on it, just like I was with Monson, Tubby and Pitino. I really like what I am hearing about Gates as a potentially good and maybe great coach. He's not proven.

Musselman is the guy who would move the real basketball fans here to get excited. He would come here. He'd be a huge big time hire whom I am certain the U could get some booster money for.

Gates is the guy who would move the diversity first crowd at the U. He has potential and may work out great. But it is a risk on an unknown commodity at this level. We've been here before....

We will find out what motivates the U in the next few weeks. I will guess Gates.
Zero chance Musselman is taking a step down to come here. I'd be willing to bet you any amount of money. He loves Arkansas. He talks all the time about their elite facilities, recruiting base and basketball loving fanbase. His wife and daughter love Fayetteville. He knows he can win a national title at Arkansas because it's been done.

Many of our fans are going to be disappointed if they choose Muss or bust.

Saw this on Goodman's feed. Def an inspiring leader/coach:
Dennis Gates
@coachdgates

·
17h

As a Marquette GA 2003 I drove Kelvin Sampson to OHare Airport. I knew the ride would be memorable I didn’t know it would be so impactful. After my 1million ?’s, I later received this in the mail. Advice to GAs 1)Ask ?’s 2)Do your very best 3)Keep 2hands on the wheel 4)Give Back
Looks the part and says all the right things.

Won't be the surprised in the slightest if he does well in his first P5 job.

Zero chance Musselman is taking a step down to come here. I'd be willing to bet you any amount of money. He loves Arkansas. He talks all the time about their elite facilities, recruiting base and basketball loving fanbase. His wife and daughter love Fayetteville. He knows he can win a national title at Arkansas because it's been done.

It's not Muss or bust for me. He is the best candidate, the obvious home run. But often times the home run hire becomes evident later- like Bo Ryan. It sounds like you know Muss and are sure, so there you go.

It’s not a step down - lateral, but not down. And, unless you are a personal friend you have no idea how his wife and daughter feel. You are simply sharing your thoughts, no more relevant than anyone else.

No argument from me to the contrary of those advocating against being "penny wise and pound foolish".

I just don't think they can do Indiana type money. Because, again, that money is really coming from big boosters, to whom that is peanuts, and want IU in the final four at all costs.
Yes, Indiana may be crazy. Their spending hasn’t helped a lot in the past ten years and many of their fans still think they are a blue blood. Been a long time since they’ve been anything more than average year to year - some ups, mostly middle of the pack.

Last edited:

People have been told this on this board for a couple years. The ones who don’t believe it, wont ever. They’ll blame it on salary, a quota hire, or something else. Many overvalue this job at its current standing. Potential to be great sure, but it’s not a top 40 job right now. Someone will have to make it one. Muss already has a top 40 job in a conference that’s less of a meat grinder. No need to leave.

Even if the money is the same, I think a reasonable argument could be made that he has more local fan and media support in F'ville, and and easier path to conference and NCAAT success in the SEC.
Conference success, I agree. I don’t know about tourney success. SEC often has years with very few bids.

People have been told this on this board for a couple years. The ones who don’t believe it, wont ever. They’ll blame it on salary, a quota hire, or something else. Many overvalue this job at its current standing. Potential to be great sure, but it’s not a top 40 job right now. Someone will have to make it one. Muss already has a top 40 job in a conference that’s less of a meat grinder. No need to leave.
I think there is something to the word around town that he is willing to come here and even wants to. Never underestimate the U of M's ability to blow an opportunity. I VERY much doubt that they will pull the trigger and get Muss.

Don't think he wouldn't love to circle back and restore what his Dad got started here in the 70s. As a kid he saw this town blow up for the Gophers when they were successful. It could again. This would be a top 40 job the moment he arrives.

I think there is something to the word around town that he is willing to come here and even wants to. Never underestimate the U of M's ability to blow an opportunity. I VERY much doubt that they will pull the trigger and get Muss.

Don't think he wouldn't love to circle back and restore what his Dad got started here in the 70s. As a kid he saw this town blow up for the Gophers when they were successful. It could again. This would be a top 40 job the moment he arrives.

You're tying WAAAAY too much to sentiment.

He had a Top 10 team at the end of the season. They're a 3 seed. They literally just hit their stride the last two months of the season. It's all positive momentum down in Arkansas for him.

Also, I love how you're already trying to position it that the U "will have blown it" if they don't get Muss. Other than a couple old fart radio personalities saying they *think* he is interested, there has been no actual confirmation that Muss has any interest. Logically, it doesn't make any sense as a move either.

Hell, I guess the U will have "blown it" if they don't go out and get Brad Underwood because Minneapolis is better than Champaign and I heard that Underwood really likes a restaurant here too!

Everyone on here needs to stop talking like they know Muss. The "old fart radio personalities" Ruesse, Barreiro, and Walters all were good friends with Bill, and they all have relationships with Eric to this day. If they are pushing his name out there and saying that he can be had, we should trust they have good reason to believe so.

Muss still has a number of connections to Minneapolis. He was an assistant with the Wolves, his dad coached here, he spent part of his childhood in Minnesota, and he has many friends and professional relationships in the city. It was also reported on here a few years ago that Musselman's brother (Bill's son) was working as a student manager at the U. Eric was scheduled to interview for the gophers job 8 years ago (Barreiro reported that the interview was canceled at the last minute when the U decided to hire Pitino). It was consistently rumored that Eric had interest in the Gophers job while at Nevada.

Eric clearly is having a ton of fun at Arkansas this season. Maybe in the end the success they've had this year outweighs any ties to MN. But, he had no prior connections to Arkansas. He's never been someone to get tied down to a job. He and his wife said that they loved Nevada and weren't going anywhere days before he accepted the Arkansas job.

Long story short, it shouldn't be assumed he's out of the picture. The U wasn't just some random place his dad coached, it was the most successful high-level coaching job he ever had. Coyle should take a swing at the home run hire and if it doesn't work out, move on to the next name on the list.

He had a Top 10 team at the end of the season. They're a 3 seed. They literally just hit their stride the last two months of the season. It's all positive momentum down in Arkansas for him.

Also, I love how you're already trying to position it that the U "will have blown it" if they don't get Muss. Other than a couple old fart radio personalities saying they *think* he is interested, there has been no actual confirmation that Muss has any interest. Logically, it doesn't make any sense as a move either.

Hell, I guess the U will have "blown it" if they don't go out and get Brad Underwood because Minneapolis is better than Champaign and I heard that Underwood really likes a restaurant here too!
Yeah, why would a guy that's doing very well at a comparable job, going to make good money, has great momentum going, want to pull up stakes and start from scratch here? Think if you to just write down all the positives and negatives between the two jobs, after about a minute or two you would slap yourself and wonder "what in the world was I thinking?"

Everyone on here needs to stop talking like they know Muss. The "old fart radio personalities" Ruesse, Barreiro, and Walters all were good friends with Bill, and they all have relationships with Eric to this day. If they are pushing his name out there and saying that he can be had, we should trust they have good reason to believe so.

Muss still has a number of connections to Minneapolis. He was an assistant with the Wolves, his dad coached here, he spent part of his childhood in Minnesota, and he has many friends and professional relationships in the city. It was also reported on here a few years ago that Musselman's brother (Bill's son) was working as a student manager at the U. Eric was scheduled to interview for the gophers job 8 years ago (Barreiro reported that the interview was canceled at the last minute when the U decided to hire Pitino). It was consistently rumored that Eric had interest in the Gophers job while at Nevada.

Eric clearly is having a ton of fun at Arkansas this season. Maybe in the end the success they've had this year outweighs any ties to MN. But, he had no prior connections to Arkansas. He's never been someone to get tied down to a job. He and his wife said that they loved Nevada and weren't going anywhere days before he accepted the Arkansas job.

Long story short, it shouldn't be assumed he's out of the picture. The U wasn't just some random place his dad coached, it was the most successful high-level coaching job he ever had. Coyle should take a swing at the home run hire and if it doesn't work out, move on to the next name on the list.

Great first post. I forgot about his younger brother being involved with our program.

Go Gophers!!

IF (and I am not sure) but if you can get him, Muss is instantly a guy who changes the vibe about Gopher basketball in this town. Excitement rises. Ticket sales go up. IF they can get him and they don't - yeah I think that's a missed opportunity. That being said, I will be 100% with the new coach whoever he is, as I have been with past coaches.

You are never going to get public confirmation that a coach who has a tournament team is switching horses. The best you will ever get is the smoke. Take it or leave it. You choose to leave it and that's fine. Don't take it so hard that we differ. It's okay.

... Gates could blow people away in interviews, etc ...
Unlike a corporate position, where an interview does make an impact, how much does an interview really sway the decision on hiring a coach? A coach is such a public figure, that you already have significant information about their personality and beliefs prior to an interview.

And what will satisfy your demands as far as Muss goes? How will you know that "Coyle took a swing"? Just genuinely curious.

Do you want to see Muss sign an extension at Arkansas and publicly say, "Minnesota wanted me, but I said no." I don't love that outcome for our search.

Or would you rather that Coyle have a press conference to say "Well gee, I tried very hard to get him, but I wasn't able to make it happen."

I am just curious how all these people that are so set on "taking a swing at the home run hire" think that they will ever know the innards of Coyle's process? He literally owes the fans nothing in this regard and we already know he runs a tight ship as far as leaks and his hiring process.

Spot on!

Who are the other black coaches who are actually candidates with better resumes? Just curious.

If you say Anthony Grant or Sam Mitchell, just don't even bother. Grant is a retread who couldn't do well at Alabama and Mitchell has nothing about him that says he is going to succeed as a college HC or recruiter.
Ritchie McKay. Certainly not my first pick, but you asked for a name.

The "old fart radio personalities" Ruesse, Barreiro, and Walters all were good friends with Bill, and they all have relationships with Eric to this day. If they are pushing his name out there and saying that he can be had, we should trust they have good reason to believe so.
This might be true (and I sincerely hope it is), but you also should acknowledge that media personalities have their own benefits/agenda in discussing and promoting Muss in their column or radio show. I trust that they have “good reason” to push his name out there and say that he can be had, but that reason might be as much or more for selfish reasons than Minnesota fandom reasons.

And what will satisfy your demands as far as Muss goes? How will you know that "Coyle took a swing"? Just genuinely curious.

Do you want to see Muss sign an extension at Arkansas and publicly say, "Minnesota wanted me, but I said no." I don't love that outcome for our search.

Or would you rather that Coyle have a press conference to say "Well gee, I tried very hard to get him, but I wasn't able to make it happen."

I am just curious how all these people that are so set on "taking a swing at the home run hire" think that they will ever know the innards of Coyle's process? He literally owes the fans nothing in this regard and we already know he runs a tight ship as far as leaks and his hiring process.
Did he say he demanded something? Nobody is demanding they hire Musselman. Yellin Thibs said that it is not out of the question and that they should try. I agree. If they go after him and can't get him- I for one have no problem with that.

Top Bottom