Next Gopher Head Coach

Agreed. If he had another 2 years with similar success I'm good. He used the JUCO route to build a team, which is fine, but I don't want a big ten teams where every starter is a JUCO transfer

For only the second time in my Gopher basketball life (going on 50+ years), I actually have some inside information - and although stranger things have happened, let's just say that Dutcher will not be the next Gophers head coach. (The other time was about 20+ years ago when I worked with the father of a Mr. Basketball recipient - his son had not yet declared where he was attending school that fall [and, of course, the Gophers were on "the list"]. The father confided to me that his son was not going to be a Gopher.)
well dang. Dutcher was the guy i wanted after Musselman.

Please make it be Musselman, Smith, or Gates....and if not 1 of those 3 please make it be somebody that my jaw drops........in a good way!

I think it probably still ranks as one of the more vicious brawls all these years later. My Ohio State buddies bring it up every time the Musselman name is mentioned.
50 years later, my Buckeye friends still remind me of the brawl. They claim that Buckeye Coach Fred Taylor never really got over the incident

For those of us who were students in the mid-70's, the Musselman name brings back memories of a jam-packed Barn rocking during the pre-game show, and Gopher basketball being nationally relevant again. But there are likely a few very senior (and very vocal) administration officials who remember Ron Behagen and Corky Taylor stomping on Luke Witte's head. And Bill, Olberding and Landsberger skipping town before the NCAA violations shit hit the fan. I would love it if Coyle hires Musselman, but don't think that the past isn't brought up even though Eric had nothing to do with it.
It would be Gopher like to pass on him for something that happened when he was 8 and had nothing to do with.

I think I will be happy with any of the rumored names. My preferred list is : Smith, Dutcher, Moser, Gates. Muss is definitely out of the realm of possibility if Arkansas does well in the tournament.

Hindsight is 50/50 but I wish Coyle would have dumped Pitino right off the bat and hired Mussleman from Nevada.

If you were UNM would you rather have Tim Miles or Richard Pitino? I would say its a wash. I bet Miles gets hired though. Pitino just has too much stink of desperation on him right now.
Why is NM settling for Miles or Pitino? Both uninspiring hires.

Why is NM settling for Miles or Pitino? Both uninspiring hires.
They are at the bottom of the Mountain West standings and don't have the clout/resources to hire a more qualified/exciting coach. Miles and Pitino both made it to P5 programs relatively quick (deserved or not). They both had mediocre results but I believe deserve another shot at some mid major.

This may belong on a separate thread, but I thought it interesting, and it points a little to why the Gophers deserve and should be paying for the best of the best, where coaches are concerned. Demand excellence as the U of M is excellent. Endowments I understand are typically designated for specific use, and can't be tapped into for coaches salaries, buyouts, etc. I just think it's one indicator of the prestige (and maybe pride associated with) of a university in addition to how well those funds are growing and being invested over time. And editorial, not sure what the measuring stick was in 40's/50's when it could be argued the U of M was even more prestigious eg. maybe on par with University of Michigan. Here are sample est. endowments (2020):
-University of Michigan: $12.48B
-Cal Berkeley: $4.79B
-Ohio State University: $5.29B
-University of Minnesota: $3.87B
-University of Wisconsin: $3.18B
-University of Iowa: $2.53B
-University of Nebraska: $1.435B
-University of Indiana: $2.49B
-University of Washington: $3.06B
Since I'm confident that 40-50 years ago the University of MN was absolutely viewed similarly to Michigan and certainly Ohio State, I think it's also not a leap to say athletic success and revenue are huge to a university. It often results in more donor money, and things snowball from there in a positive way over time. I'm no expert on this, just sharing what little research I did. My point being Gophers need to get this right, similar to what I think was a great hire in PJ Fleck, who has helped re-brand the Gopher football program, maybe even athletics program overall with RTB, no matter how gimmicky some fans think it is.

Obviously Smith is a terrific coach. His strengths are building culture, his energy, knowing what his team needs and doesn’t need. His biggest weakness would being able to recruit transfers in my mind, though on Saturday he didn’t use his bench as much as he should. Obviously his first two years was not built on his recruits, though there were some. Even this year, 4 regulars and two starters were not his recruits.
Bolded: Queta? Seems to be a keystone to everything Smith has achieved at USU?

i call bullshit

And if what you say is true, I wouldn't accept the job
My life would be pretty sad if I made up stories to score meaningless internet points. Which I don’t. And in my field, there are few places that aren’t applying a similar process, so I don’t really have the luxury of turning it down should I get the formal offer.

I guess keep an eye on each respective prospects teams in the tourney. If and once they start dropping out, we'll know more.

Please make it be Musselman, Smith, or Gates....and if not 1 of those 3 please make it be somebody that my jaw drops........in a good way!
Can't get Muss, and Gates hasn't earned it yet. Smith, then.

This may belong on a separate thread, but I thought it interesting, and it points a little to why the Gophers deserve and should be paying for the best of the best, where coaches are concerned. Demand excellence as the U of M is excellent. Endowments I understand are typically designated for specific use, and can't be tapped into for coaches salaries, buyouts, etc. I just think it's one indicator of the prestige (and maybe pride associated with) of a university in addition to how well those funds are growing and being invested over time. And editorial, not sure what the measuring stick was in 40's/50's when it could be argued the U of M was even more prestigious eg. maybe on par with University of Michigan. Here are sample est. endowments (2020):
-University of Michigan: $12.48B
-Cal Berkeley: $4.79B
-Ohio State University: $5.29B
-University of Minnesota: $3.87B
-University of Wisconsin: $3.18B
-University of Iowa: $2.53B
-University of Nebraska: $1.435B
-University of Indiana: $2.49B
-University of Washington: $3.06B
Since I'm confident that 40-50 years ago the University of MN was absolutely viewed similarly to Michigan and certainly Ohio State, I think it's also not a leap to say athletic success and revenue are huge to a university. It often results in more donor money, and things snowball from there in a positive way over time. I'm no expert on this, just sharing what little research I did. My point being Gophers need to get this right, similar to what I think was a great hire in PJ Fleck, who has helped re-brand the Gopher football program, maybe even athletics program overall with RTB, no matter how gimmicky some fans think it is.
Those endowments are largely institutional and academic in nature. And as you said, the school is often very constrained in how they can spend any returns off the principle of any particular endowed gift.

Donations to athletics are usually not in the form of an endowment, unless it is for an endowed scholarship (which does definitely happen), and then obviously you can't use that to do things like build facilities, pay buyouts, etc.

No thanks on Boynton. This is his 4th year and first year they've been above .500 in the conference. They still only finished 5th in the regular season with the #1 player in the country.

The only reason they are playing in the NCAA this season is because they are appealing their postseason ban. Plus one of the reasons Cunningham signed with them is because they hired his brother.

There are many better options.
Thank you

My life would be pretty sad if I made up stories to score meaningless internet points. Which I don’t. And in my field, there are few places that aren’t applying a similar process, so I don’t really have the luxury of turning it down should I get the formal offer.

What's your field? Just curious.

I work in tech sales and I know there was a directive from above and people ops to get more diverse candidates into our entry level sales team. So yes, diversity is an objective for many companies and is being tracked.

But unless you are interviewing for CEO jobs, the way you're trying to apply your situation and the Strib article to Coyle's hiring decision are not the same. He is not going to mortgage the athletic department's financial future and his own job to hire someone just because of the color of their skin.

And that, in your initial post last night, is what you insinuated would be happening if Gates got the job.

Musselman is the guy who would move the real basketball fans here to get excited. He would come here. He'd be a huge big time hire whom I am certain the U could get some booster money for.

Gates is the guy who would move the diversity first crowd at the U. He has potential and may work out great. But it is a risk on an unknown commodity at this level. We've been here before....

We will find out what motivates the U in the next few weeks. I will guess Gates.

No thanks on Boynton. This is his 4th year and first year they've been above .500 in the conference. They still only finished 5th in the regular season with the #1 player in the country.

The only reason they are playing in the NCAA this season is because they are appealing their postseason ban. Plus one of the reasons Cunningham signed with them is because they hired his brother.

There are many better options.

Totally agree. I don't see anything on Boynton's resume that makes him a good fit here, much less make him a home run hire.

Musselman is the guy who would move the real basketball fans here to get excited. He would come here. He'd be a huge big time hire whom I am certain the U could get some booster money for.

Gates is the guy who would move the diversity first crowd at the U. He has potential and may work out great. But it is a risk on an unknown commodity at this level. We've been here before....

We will find out what motivates the U in the next few weeks. I will guess Gates.

Wow. Way to simplify a guy down to the color of his skin. Pretty sure plenty of us have listed numerous things we like about Gates that have nothing to do with him being black.

Too bad it's so black and white (pun intended) for you. Furthermore, your first paragraph (and the candidate you're saying would get "real basketball fans" excited) is not even based in reality or has any chance of actually happening.

Those endowments are largely institutional and academic in nature. And as you said, the school is often very constrained in how they can spend any returns off the principle of any particular endowed gift.

Donations to athletics are usually not in the form of an endowment, unless it is for an endowed scholarship (which does definitely happen), and then obviously you can't use that to do things like build facilities, pay buyouts, etc.
Related to this though, U of M athletics is typically in the top 20-25 for revenue and expenses. As Coyle intimated in his comments, everyone has been impacted in the past year, but the U is better positioned to manage that than most. This idea that Doogie started that the U is poor is so lazy. The cutting of programs was likely going to happen simply as a right-sizing when you look at the number of programs we have. It was simply a reallocation of resources - look around the country and most have been doing something like that.

Further, where EG is right, when football and basketball win, most schools see a significant increase in general fund donations.

So you don't think that the U is under pressure to hire for diversity?
From whom? Really doubt any big donors/boosters are threatening to withhold if a Black basketball coach isn't hired.

The U is going to do something because of the StarTribune and general public sentiment?

They did a study and Kaler even backed changing Coffman, and they still didn't even do that.

Related to this though, U of M athletics is typically in the top 20-25 for revenue and expenses. As Coyle intimated in his comments, everyone has been impacted in the past year, but the U is better positioned to manage that than most. The cutting of programs was likely going to happen simply as a right-sizing when you look at the number of programs we have. It was simply a reallocation of resources - look around the country and most have been doing something like that.

Further, where EG is right, when football and basketball win, most schools see a significant increase in general fund donations.
No argument from me to the contrary of those advocating against being "penny wise and pound foolish".

I just don't think they can do Indiana type money. Because, again, that money is really coming from big boosters, to whom that is peanuts, and want IU in the final four at all costs.

I have no doubt the next coach is the NCAA tourney.

I am speculating that this is a process is BS and Coyle already has his guy. But everyone involved is tight lipped so they dont mess with the new coach's chances with his current team. Not fair to his players.

My speculation also means that Matta and Belien are OUT, unfortunately, in my mind

What's your field? Just curious.

I work in tech sales and I know there was a directive from above and people ops to get more diverse candidates into our entry level sales team. So yes, diversity is an objective for many companies and is being tracked.

But unless you are interviewing for CEO jobs, the way you're trying to apply your situation and the Strib article to Coyle's hiring decision are not the same. He is not going to mortgage the athletic department's financial future and his own job to hire someone just because of the color of their skin.

And that, in your initial post last night, is what you insinuated would be happening if Gates got the job.
Corporate law. Firms are definitely pushing diversity measures, but it’s also being driven by clients, who are increasingly demanding more diverse attorneys on their cases.

In any case, what I meant to convey in my original post isn’t that if Gates gets the job, it was simply because of diversity quotas. It was that if he gets the job AND Dutcher and/or Smith wanted it, I (based on my lay-person paper evaluation) would be skeptical because their resumes seem so much better right now. But of course, I’m a lay person. Gates could blow people away in interviews, etc. I also agree with you that I don’t expect Coyle to make a high-stakes decision simply to fill a quota, and if Gates is hired, my assumption will be that Dutcher/Smith didn’t work out for any number of reasons.

I have no doubt the next coach is the NCAA tourney.

I am speculating that this is a process is BS and Coyle already has his guy. But everyone involved is tight lipped so they dont mess with the new coach's chances with his current team. Not fair to his players.

My speculation also means that Matta and Belien are OUT, unfortunately, in my mind
I would buy this.

That's all over the country. He goes on every radio show he can find. He's on Dallas' local sports talk show all the time. I'm telling you guys he will not be coming here. He has a great thing going in Arkansas.
Arkansas is a great job. There aren't many schools I would expect Muss to leave for.

That's all over the country. He goes on every radio show he can find. He's on Dallas' local sports talk show all the time. I'm telling you guys he will not be coming here. He has a great thing going in Arkansas.
If they want him, I think he'd come.

Top Bottom