Newest Commit - Issac Hayes

Time will only tell how correct I am. Meanwhile, take another sip of the Kool Aid.

Just so you know, that Kool Aid works both ways. The people who are always positive and always negative are merely different sides of the same coin.

Time will only tell how correct I am. Meanwhile, take another sip of the Kool Aid.

Well, on the tackle part I can tell you right now that you're wrong. Because he is, in fact, not a tackle. And you were the one who called him average versus all past Gophers but are now saying "time will tell". So I take it you are enjoying a waffle as well?

Oh no! I dare to be positive about the team of which I am a fan! How terrible! Clearly, such an act is synonymous with mass suicide and that analogy is not at all offensive!

AWESOME news! This kid is a legit S-T-U-D! I watched some film of STA last year to scout an opponent, and Hayes stood out immediately...he just jumped off the film. I had no idea who he was, honestly, but I instantly looked him up online because it was apparent he was (or would be) absolutely big time. He was just dominating the game on the DL: knocking down passes, getting instant penetration, making plays in the backfield, etc. Every coach on our staff was counting our blessings that we weren't having to figure out a way to block that kid...

I have four comments:

(1) I really liked the video of Hayes, including both his performance and his choice of music.

(2) Almost everyone here seems to be downright glowing about Hayes, and it seems he is recognized nationally. So WHY is he an unranked ("NR") lineman according to Scout?

(3) The Gophers are building a really solid, very deep offensive line. The problem is that a large portion of our best recruits over the past 3 years are OL. We seem to be lacking, however, in most other areas, and I hope Kill can address those areas as well. I do agree that if you have a great OL, you are tough to stop offensively, especially if you also get quality QB play. Mason built his entire partially-successful program off of offensive line blocking schemes (and not much else). Rival Wisconsin still seems to be winning largely due to dominating O-lines. But before the Gophers have a chance to become a contender in the Big Ten, we'll need more than just O-linemen.

(4) Isaac seems like an extraordinarily down-to-earth young man, as exemplified by his interview on KSTP (his slight mistake on "2 wins [last year]" aside). Impressive. http://kstp.com/sports/stories/S2188884.shtml?cat=7

Great pickup, a major solution to.gophers program is in state elite.

Excited to.watch this kid!!! 9/25/11 Gopher tradition starts!!

Great pickup, a major solution to.gophers program is in state elite.

Excited to.watch this kid!!! 9/25/11 Gopher tradition starts!!

Just out of curiousity, why doesn't the Gopher winning tradition start on September 3, or hell, chalk up a loss to USC so why not September 10?

I have four comments:

(1) I really liked the video of Hayes, including both his performance and his choice of music.

(2) Almost everyone here seems to be downright glowing about Hayes, and it seems he is recognized nationally. So WHY is he an unranked ("NR") lineman according to Scout?

(3) The Gophers are building a really solid, very deep offensive line. The problem is that a large portion of our best recruits over the past 3 years are OL. We seem to be lacking, however, in most other areas, and I hope Kill can address those areas as well. I do agree that if you have a great OL, you are tough to stop offensively, especially if you also get quality QB play. Mason built his entire partially-successful program off of offensive line blocking schemes (and not much else). Rival Wisconsin still seems to be winning largely due to dominating O-lines. But before the Gophers have a chance to become a contender in the Big Ten, we'll need more than just O-linemen.

(4) Isaac seems like an extraordinarily down-to-earth young man, as exemplified by his interview on KSTP (his slight mistake on "2 wins [last year]" aside). Impressive. http://kstp.com/sports/stories/S2188884.shtml?cat=7

Good post!

(1) I agree
(2) It's a good question and Scout has always been sort of strange to figure out (for me). I'm not saying it's better or worse than the other ones but it always seems to have it's own opinions. Which is probably good, but it also creates conundrums where you have guys who are really well recruited, have a low ranking and often vice versa. That said, Hayes does have a 3 star ranking from Scout and that is as good of a ranking as anyone outside the top 15 ranked OG's on Scout. So my point, he is ranked almost identically to the very top...
I also think people are pumped up about him because he is a local kid who has been recruited strong from outside the state and we haven't had the best of luck with kids of his caliber in the past few years.
(3) I think this is a bit of a misconception. Hayes is the first OL in this class. We recruited them pretty hard last season but that has a lot to do with being a very thin team along our OLine last year. Remember, we had to convert a TE (Hughes) in the middle of the year to take some reps at OLine. Brew didn't do a good job of recruiting this position, so last year's splurge on OL was somewhat neccesary. We are pretty thin at WR (still), even though we've signed a ton of them over the past couple seasons and we definitely need more DBs. After that, we will start to have a pretty balanced roster, or the makings of a balanced roster.
(4) Yep, he seems like a great addition to our program as far as football talent, intelligence and character.

Just out of curiousity, why doesn't the Gopher winning tradition start on September 3, or hell, chalk up a loss to USC so why not September 10?

I think it's the day after we play the South Dakota State School of Minds Fighting Jack-Coyotes.

WOW. 2 sentences. not 1 word mentioned ndsu.

You have to look a little closer. I thought the same thing but Bison is way too transparent for that. He says that the winning tradition is going to start 9/25.....the day after we play his favorite Junior College to the north.

Almost everyone here seems to be downright glowing about Hayes, and it seems he is recognized nationally. So WHY is he an unranked ("NR") lineman according to Scout?

Probably the same reason they had Tommy Olson as a two star at this time last year. Both seem to have a similar style of play. Maybe they don't like aggressive OL play.

Probably the same reason they had Tommy Olson as a two start at this time last year. Both seem to have a similar style of play. Maybe they don't like aggressive OL play.

Yeah, Scout is bizarre. I don't want to act like that guy that likes the ones that give us good ratings and hate the ones who give us bad ratings, etc....but Scout has been pretty weird with MN recruits over the past few seasons.

I don't mean that like they are especially weird with MN recruits, I just follow it closer, they might be weird with all recruits.

Like I said, I'm not even saying it's good or bad but Scout often has very different opinions on players than ESPN or Rivals and for the most part, it seems like when they aren't inline (good or bad)...Scout has been wrong over the years.

Hayes is well spoken. He seems like a good kid.

Top Bottom