NEW voice of the Gophers?

I still recall how so many on the old Gopherhole sites used to complain about Ray C. People bitch about who ever the announcer is. Who cares? You should be going to the games any way. Why even listen to the latest station's botching of the Gopher Football Broadcasts? WCCO was not adequate. kfan will NEVER really be adequate. People will grow to hate who ever calls the games.

I really don't care who is the voice of Gopher Football. No matter who they pick, a certain number of monikers on this board will moan and wail. My guess is that who ever it is will NOT be adequate in any way, shape or form according to the people who always whine and moan about who ever the play by play personality is.

No matter what, keep the heat on lowly kfan and the pressure on lowly kfan to keep barrerio (sp? who cares?) the common slug and anyone else and call them out when they resort to their anti-Gopher ways. When kfan screws up...and they will screw up, go after them with NO mercy.

; 0 )

I still recall how so many on the old Gopherhole sites used to complain about Ray C. People bitch about who ever the announcer is. Who cares? You should be going to the games any way. Why even listen to the latest station's botching of the Gopher Football Broadcasts? WCCO was not adequate. kfan will NEVER really be adequate. People will grow to hate who ever calls the games.

I really don't care who is the voice of Gopher Football. No matter who they pick, a certain number of monikers on this board will moan and wail. My guess is that who ever it is will NOT be adequate in any way, shape or form according to the people who always whine and moan about who ever the play by play personality is.

Probably the ONLY truthful and accurate statement you've ever posted here. Nice.

No matter what, keep the heat on lowly kfan and the pressure on lowly kfan to keep barrerio (sp? who cares?) the common slug and anyone else and call them out when they resort to their anti-Gopher ways. When kfan screws up...and they will screw up, go after them with NO mercy.

; 0 )

I really hate being 'that guy' who defends KFAN.. But seriously, have you anti-FANers listened to the station in the past, oh say.. 4-5 months? First off, the reason the 'bashing' of the Gophers prior to the Brew firing was because of Brew and how often he rubbed the media the wrong way. And while MN's sports media sucks anyway, you can't really expect much positive or good coming from a station who has had NOTHING to do with the UofM at the time. Cue the firing of Brew, and KFAN really didn't have much to say except 'Who's the next guy?' and more openly rip on Brew (Some unwarranted, but mostly valid points). During the time between Brew's departure and Kills hiring, KFAN has warmed up to the football program. I was shocked to hear less and less negativity when the tiny amount of time they gave our football team on air. And much like most Gopher fans, Burrito and the boys at KFAN have COMPLETELY warmed up to the hiring of Coach Kill ever since his introductory presser. Everything I've heard from KFAN on Coach Kill and the program has been nothing but cautious optimism (which is a HUGE turnaround, BTW). Now that they have the broadcast rights of our football team, there always seems to be at least ONE show on the station that actually has Gopher football talking points/bits.

Also, anyone who doesn't like Common because of his 'negativity', doesn't get his bit, thus needs to not take what he says personal. Seriously guys, his whole show is a bit/schtick, and while you have every right to not like it.. I'm telling you like a friend that his show isn't REAL. Get over it and turn the radio off when he's on, it really is that simple.

fomor...I ALWAYS tell it just the way I see it...

Now, it seems to me that many times you and many other people around here think only YOUR version of things is the correct version. That is just not the case. You may see things your way and I may see things my way and never the two ways may meet. That is fine. That is good. Personally, I would hate to agree with much of what I have seen you write here. But, that's your thing...your bit...your schtick. I really don't care if your stick to your schtick or take your schtick in a whole new direction. Your schtick is your schtick is your schtick. And...so it goes.... If we don't agree should I say that everything you have ever said is a lie or is not the truth? Even though that may very well be true, I certainly won't say that about your bit/schtick fomor... However, I might consider returning your volley if you agressively attempt to attach your slant and spin to anything I may have to say. All in the spirit of my bit/schtick. You do your bit/schtick...and I'll do my bit/schtick. Life will be very good and please make due note that I will never let a bit/schticker such as yourself get me down!!!!! Your bit will never schtick with me. ; 0 )

I am always going to call a spade a spade. kfan has a history that long exceeds the unfortunate failed brewball era. Their history of bashing Gopher Revenue Sports goes back to the very beginning of their pathetic station.

Re: the common slug...everybody has their own style. The common slug is a tribute to common sluggery where ever it exists...or, at least proof that common sluggery runs rampant on kfan. To knock common sluggery where ever it exists is a very good track to take. It is always bash common slug time. He calls for it. He begs for it. The best thing to do to combat common sluggery on the air waves is to bash the common slug. It's fun. It's good sport. It helps to raise awareness of how boorish common slug-man really is.

Throw kfan under the bus at the first sign of rampant barrerio (sp? who cares?) bashing of the Gophers by anyone associated with kfan. Be prepared to launch an anti-kfan strike at any moment in time. Outslug the common slug. They will screw up big-time. It's just a matter of time.

There! That was fun. That needed to be said. ; 0 )

No matter what, keep the heat on lowly kfan and the pressure on lowly kfan to keep barrerio (sp? who cares?) the common slug and anyone else and call them out when they resort to their anti-Gopher ways.

The irony here is amazing.

So, if you want us to call KFAN out for ranting against anything regarding the Gophers, what should we do with you? You've made it an artform to rant and rave about Maturi, Gopher football, Prexy B, etc.

Are you saying you're allowed to rant and rave, but an all-sports radio station isn't??

Quite frankly, much of what you say on this board is far more anti-Gopher than anything PA or Common has ever spewed. So, what to do with you?

Oh god, not again!

; 0 )

Another rant with demands by our keeper of what is right and wrong. I love the line where he says "My guess is that who ever it is will NOT be adequate in any way, shape or form according to the people who always whine and moan about who ever the play by play personality is."

Then he goes off on KFAN and says "When kfan screws up...and they will screw up, go after them with NO mercy."

What a piece of work! Never has one person used so many words to say so little. The guy is the ultimate windbag.

Do we even need to hire anyone local? There are a lot of radio announcers out there, how about finding someone who knows how to announce a game, but covers a lower-level team and who would like to move up in the world?

Do we even need to hire anyone local? There are a lot of radio announcers out there, how about finding someone who knows how to announce a game, but covers a lower-level team and who would like to move up in the world?

I agree with you, RR. With WCCO's lock on Gopher Football broadcasts for the past 70 years there are few people in the Twin Cities media that are capable of PBP broadcasting on a BCS level format. I'm sure there are many current PBP broadcasters out there that would do a great job for the Gopher's games. We just don't know who they are.

As an example I recall listening to Dave Lee the first half of the SDSU game two years ago on the internet (CCO forgot to pull the plug on it until halftime). I could hardly follow the game. The second half I had to listen to the SDSU internet broadcast. I couldn't believe how much better they were, despite being SDSU homers. That being said there must be many excellent PBP broadcasters out there looking for a chance at bigger pastures. Learfield needs to find one of these individuals and match him up with a local color man to provide the type of broadcasts Minnesota fans have been missing since Ray C. retired.

I'm hoping for someone who is masterful at painting a verbal picture of what is transpiring on the field so I can utilize my own imagination to visualize what is happening.

I agree with you, RR. With WCCO's lock on Gopher Football broadcasts for the past 70 years there are few people in the Twin Cities media that are capable of PBP broadcasting on a BCS level format. I'm sure there are many current PBP broadcasters out there that would do a great job for the Gopher's games. We just don't know who they are.

Has anyone listened to any sports casters who cover games for non-BCS teams? Anyone know of any that are really good? The good ones understand what's going on in real time, rather than only after the fact giving you a cobbled together version of what happened.

It would be great to get someone here who had strong Gopher ties, someone who came into the job already bleeding Maroon and Gold. But ONLY if they are good at sportscasting.

I'd be happy with a good announcer with a pleasant voice. Dave Lee has a good radio voice, but was a horrible play by play guy. PA is a screaming idiot doing Vikings games, but at least he knows what's going on in the game.

I'm not sure why so many here praise the Iowa announcers. I listened to a couple of games on XM last season, and I thought they were horrible. If you think Mike Grimm is a complainer, you've never heard the Iowa announcers. I swear they bitched about every single call, and said ridiculous things like "The Hawkeyes should really try a fake punt here." when no sane person would EVER think that was a good idea at the time. Just horrible.

I've always thought Mike Grimm does a good job with basketball broadcasts, and I think he'll do just fine for football.

Ray had 50 years of experience and he is retired. Just be thankful the Dave Lee era is over.

Because Common Man attempts and fails to be funny and he really knows nothing about sports. All he can do is mooch free golf out of MN golf courses. It would be nice to see them put Paul Charchian in his time slot one day. I know it would never happen but even the thought of him doing play by play gives me a headache.

I haven't listened to common for quite a while, but if I turned him on tomorrow it would be the same material he had on two months ago. It gets real old hearing about his golf game, his kids, and his haight asbury days.

Top Bottom