NEW voice of the Gophers?

Parski1

Banned
Reaction score
So who is going to be the new voice of Gopher football on KFAN? Any ideas?

If Common's performance as a football voice is as bad as his performance as a boxing ring announcer, I may have to cut myself.

If Common's performance as a football voice is as bad as his performance as a boxing ring announcer, I may have to cut myself.

He's no Michael Buffer. He's not even Tom Lennon, Jr. He's just terrible.

By the by, I hope they keep Mona. I think he's pretty good. I wouldn't be surprised to hear Conzeumius in the booth though. I also think it's likely that they get outside talent for the PbP.

Dave Lee. Be careful what you wish for, because it is possible that there is a worse play-by-play voice out there. Not probable, just possible.

Oh...and make sure Maturi doesn't make the hire.

He's no Michael Buffer. He's not even Tom Lennon, Jr. He's just terrible.

By the by, I hope they keep Mona. I think he's pretty good. I wouldn't be surprised to hear Conzeumius in the booth though. I also think it's likely that they get outside talent for the PbP.
Common Man is a joke - I always turn the dial when that loser comes on. I'm sure PA is out of the question due to the Vikes. I like Monna and Lee but I'm sure WCCO will have something to say about that. KFAN would be stupid not to throw Conzeumius in there to replace Thompson.

Duh, KFAN.. P.A.!

"Gray breaks to the right, shakes a tackle and down the sideline and marquuuuiiiiisssss grrraaaaaaayyy is gooooooooonnnnneeee!!!! touchdown gophers!!!!"
:cool:

I have a hunch they might consider Joe Nelson if they stay in house. But he is pretty inexperienced. Seems like he has a passion to want to call games though.

Dave Lee. Be careful what you wish for, because it is possible that there is a worse play-by-play voice out there. Not probable, just possible.

Oh...and make sure Maturi doesn't make the hire.

I think Maturi absolutely needs to make the hire...but he can't hire any of his top three choices. That way, someone good can fall into his lap.

I have a hunch they might consider Joe Nelson if they stay in house. But he is pretty inexperienced. Seems like he has a passion to want to call games though.
Tiny Joe? Interesting....but why not?

Justin conzemius in the booth would make me long for gopher football 3D..... Don't let it happen.

I like Paul Allen except for his voice, inflection, and description of plays. Like nails on a chalkboard. Anyone want a real PBP guy? Listen to other guys in other markets. Our top levels of local announcers are:

1) Horrific;
2) Pathetic;
3) Massively Average.

Bring in a college FB announcer from the outside. Please.

Common Man is a joke - I always turn the dial when that loser comes on. I'm sure PA is out of the question due to the Vikes. I like Monna and Lee but I'm sure WCCO will have something to say about that. KFAN would be stupid not to throw Conzeumius in there to replace Thompson.

why is he a joke?

What's wrong with Mike Grimm? He works for Learfield already. I think he's vastly underrated, and he has way more personality than they ever let him show on WCCO. Fro color commentary, I think KFAN and Jack Brewer are tight, he's outspoken and knows his stuff. I also liked Dave Mona, but he'd probably have to leave WCCO. After all this time, would he?

I'm all for Dan Rowe, he was excellent during his Viking days. By the way, for Big Ten hockey I would love it if the BTN hired Clay Matvik to do the Gopher games. Listen to him tonight on ESPNU, he is very good.

My vote....

SilverFox on this board was interested...but I hope it is the guy that is doing the BasketBall games now.

PA...sorry...there could be worse...but I'm not a fan of his for our University gridiron warriors.

Does Ray C have a son? ala Chip, Skip Caray.

GM

Anyone but Mike Grimm.

Seriously - have you listened to this guy do Gopher Hoops? He spends the entire broadcast complaining about the officiating. I've tried to listen to games on the radio, and I wind up screaming at my radio for Grimm to shut up about the officiating, and just tell me the score of the game, and how much time is left.

If they let this guy do FB, I guarantee that he will spend the entire game whining about how every call against the Gophs is a "bad call."

I mean this seriously - there are probably 50 people calling high school games on small-market radio stations in MN who are better play-by-play announcers than Mike Grimm. When you have 2 or 3 people in the booth, the p-by-p guy is supposed to focus on the basics - down, distance, time, situation - and leave the analysis to the color man (or men).

And one more thing, No Screaming. I can't stand this new trend where the announcer has to show he's "Into" the game by screaming at the top of his lungs for a 4-yard run. Just tell me what's happening without busting my eardrums, please.

why is he a joke?
Because Common Man attempts and fails to be funny and he really knows nothing about sports. All he can do is mooch free golf out of MN golf courses. It would be nice to see them put Paul Charchian in his time slot one day. I know it would never happen but even the thought of him doing play by play gives me a headache.

If Grimm got the job I'd never listen to a game. I think Reusse had him as a Turkey of the Year candidate, and he was right on the money. If the Gophers are not winning, he's complaining about the officiating. I'd rather listen to Pat Summerall.

I like Dave Lee - he just has the voice of Gopher Football that I'm now used to. Hope there is a way he can hook up with KFAN but I would doubt it being he's a CCO guy.

KFAN has already said that it will not be Dave Lee.

They were talking about it on air, they said that Learfield sports has a lot to say about it, and that they might only have a little input, same as all Gopher sports on the radio.

Top Bottom