New verbal

scott ekpe, a DT from Texas. 6-4, 255lbs scout and rivals have no offers listed except for us.

New DT per Rivals

Rivals indicates we have recieved a commitment for 2012 from Lewisville (Texas) defensive tackle Scott Ekpe. Anyone know anything about him?

Sorry missed mggoph's post. Was a little late.

Apparently he is kind of an undersized pass rushing DT.

I am curious about this one...

He must have a frame that says "I can add some pounds". He seems way too small to be a DT, so does he have the wheels to be a speed DE or LB?

He must have a frame that says "I can add some pounds". He seems way too small to be a DT, so does he have the wheels to be a speed DE or LB?

Klug was a lot smaller when he went to Iowa and he played DT.

Does this mean that Jonathan Harden & Karmichael Dunbar out off the Gopher recruiting radar?

Does this mean that Jonathan Harden & Karmichael Dunbar out off the Gopher recruiting radar?

I believe DT is a position of need this recruiting cycle, so it all depends on how they perform at camp. I think I read that Harden is attending, but I've heard nothing about Dunbar. Either way, I don't think we take both of them. Either by choice or the process of elimination.

Sounds like a project.

Although there are so many good players in Texas that they should have a top 600 instead of top 200. Coach Kill will try and sign 2 more DT's, which I think is the toughest position to recruit. By my count we have 17 "ships" to give out, so it will be interesting to see how the other 10 are distributed.

Although there are so many good players in Texas that they should have a top 600 instead of top 200. Coach Kill will try and sign 2 more DT's, which I think is the toughest position to recruit. By my count we have 17 "ships" to give out, so it will be interesting to see how the other 10 are distributed.

With like eight slots left, I doubt two of them will go to DTs.

I can't imagine that we will add more than 1 more DT to this class. I wouldn't be shocked if we were done there.

I wonder if there is any chance this kid could play G.

Actually, I think 6'4 255 is the EXACT size Kill and Co would want in a h.s. player intended to play D-tackle in college, with the idea that he will put on another 20-25 pounds - 275-280. Kill and Co seem to want guys that can move, both vertically and laterally - I don't think we will see too many guys like Edwards (350 lbs - I don't care what they actually listed him at, he looked closer to 350 than 300) being recruited by these guys.

If he's athletic and can move, I hope they keep him at DT.

Note - I just checked GI - the Gophs appear to be recruiting a number of DTs bigger than Ekpe, some 300lbs plus, so I stand corrected!

I must admit, this one kind of surprises me with the limited number of scholly's apparently available. Does anybody have the scoop on him? I can't find much info on him online. I guess I will have to put my trust in Kill and company on this one.

There is a difference if the kid is already filled out and developed. Some kid 255 and shaves 1 or 2 times a week is still growing, a kid that is all furred out and shaves daily isn't going to put on as much weight as the unmatured kid!

If this kid camped I have no doubt he is right for the program. Coach Kill has been successfully coaching against Big Ten teams and knows who he needs to recruit to win.

If this kid camped I have no doubt he is right for the program. Coach Kill has been successfully coaching against Big Ten teams and knows who he needs to recruit to win.
Was he at a recent camp? I haven't heard a thing.

Funny side note, Ekpe's coach is Drew Tate's former coach and step-father.

Actually, I think 6'4 255 is the EXACT size Kill and Co would want in a h.s. player intended to play D-tackle in college, with the idea that he will put on another 20-25 pounds - 275-280. Kill and Co seem to want guvys that can move, both vertically and laterally - I don't think we will see too many guys like Edwards (350 lbs - I don't care what they actually listed him at, he looked closer to 350 than 300) being recruited by these guys.

If he's athletic and can move, I hope they keep him at DT.

Under tackle vs run clogger. Kevin Williams vs Pat Williams. Dyron Russ vs Jon Michaels(?) JuJu Edwards vs Kirksey, etc. etc. That's how I see it. You really need both types of DT's. Pressure guys that create havoc and cloggers/ unmoveable objects.

Top Bottom