New Transfer Commit: Luke Loewe from W&M

Like this idea.

Thanks! The freshman from Prior Lake is being heavily recruited by UNLV and multiple other lower division schools. He was only a 2 star recruit but there were only 2 freshmen guards last year in the country to average over 30 minutes per game, over 8 points per game, over 5 rebounds a game, and over 4 assists per game and he was one of them. He also averaged 1.6 steals per game.

Here is an article from a Las Vegas newspaper about his recruitment. The article has several videos.

Transfer point from UND (and Prior Lake)

I'm glad to have any living breathing guard at this point, but not sure a transfer from Bill and Mary is quite worth that reaction.
did the same thing for the Battle commitment.....would expect him to be tweeting this same thing on every commit.....much like Fleck does...and much like Pitino did

and the idea of having Gach not being our PG for next year alone should get a much bigger reaction! 😂

did the same thing for the Battle commitment.....would expect him to be tweeting this same thing on every commit.....much like Fleck does...and much like Pitino did

and the idea of having Gach not being our PG for next year alone should get a much bigger reaction! 😂
I prefer Pitino's dancing Gopher. It didn't set such high expectations.

I like the Denzel ha. Did Pitino do that before PJ arrived or did he take that straight from PJ?

I hope Loewe is amazing for us, but I can't say his stats have me overwhelmed with joy.

Compared to what? Compared to Marcus Carr at his best, no. Compared to what Mashburn Jr., Tre Williams, or Gabe did this year, hell yes!

I like these moves, this program has long needed to focus more on players with specific skill sets. For far too long it's been about the development of athletes, which has most often not panned out.

Thanks! The freshman from Prior Lake is being heavily recruited by UNLV and multiple other lower division schools. He was only a 2 star recruit but there were only 2 freshmen guards last year in the country to average over 30 minutes per game, over 8 points per game, over 5 rebounds a game, and over 4 assists per game and he was one of them. He also averaged 1.6 steals per game.

Here is an article from a Las Vegas newspaper about his recruitment. The article has several videos.

Transfer point from UND (and Prior Lake)
I would take Tyree all day as our PG. He looks good against the gophers last year in his second game ever. Ultra fast, can jump out of the guy. . . . just not a great 3PT shooter.

I would take Tyree all day as our PG. He looks good against the gophers last year in his second game ever. Ultra fast, can jump out of the guy. . . . just not a great 3PT shooter.

And he got better as the season went on. I just like to see these guys who are under the radar but are much better than expected. According to Verbal Commits, he had only 2 offers and one wasn't from a D1 school.

From the highlight tape, it looks as if he is quick and can get to the rim. Also looks to have a knack for scoring.
I'm more interested though in hearing about his defensive prowess, and how he is with the ball. Is he smart, does he take good shots, does he facilitate.

This is the kind of guard a team like Wisconsin thrives on and the type I have been clamoring for, forever. Give me a smart kid with less talent than can handle himself, way before a chucker who scores 18 a game but has to put up 20 stupid shots to do it.

Love it. All defensive team in 2020 as well. Well rounded kid. I'm in. Let's keep going.
I like it too. What Johnson wants for next year IMO is guys that will run his system, whatever he installs and work well with team mates. Build a foundation of playing a certain way and then build the talent base year by year.

Seems like a solid pickup to help provide some stability next year. Will be interesting to see if Johnson focuses more on short term guys or longer term guys in the portal.

This takes the sting out of the possible loss of Gabe K: a big guard who defends and can shoot at least a little. Would be nice to have them both in the fold, but Luke will be somewhat of a replacement if we don't.

Excellent. Bringing in guys who can play and have experience.

This takes the sting out of the possible loss of Gabe K: a big guard who defends and can shoot at least a little. Would be nice to have them both in the fold, but Luke will be somewhat of a replacement if we don't.
Will be interesting to see if he was brought in to run the point or if they will still bring in a different point guard. Back court needs lots of bodies at the moment to fill in for the guys in the portal.

Holding out hope that Gabe decides to stick around as he would be nice to have from a stability standpoint. And who knows, maybe someone on the new staff can figure out why a once good shooter suddenly isn't anymore.

He looks really slow.
giphy.gif

Did you close your eyes when you watched that tape?

He might not be as quick when he plays better competition, but to me, slow is the last word I would describe what was on that tape.
Unless he was brought in to be a bench player, he doesn't have starter speed. Youtube highlights of the top half of the B1G starting point guards. You'll see what I'm talking about.

Unless he was brought in to be a bench player, he doesn't have starter speed. Youtube highlights of the top half of the B1G starting point guards. You'll see what I'm talking about.

Can you tell us about your college playing and scouting experience, please.

Otherwise, I'll go with the dude with 14 years of D1 assistant experience who also played in the Big Ten.

Memories of Kim Zurcher, RIP: played the point with guts and grit during the first two tough Clem years sheparding a young team through vowing pains—didn’t get to see the reward of the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 runs. Hit the winning shot—a great finish at the rim on a layup—to beat Wisconsin in Clem’s first Big Ten game.

Top Bottom