New thread title

Pewterschmidt

Reaction score
That's what you are when you lose this type of game after losing the previous 3 games. To me, the unanswered question is Nature vs Nurture. Does Tubby recruit losers or does he make them?

Do you feel better about yourself now?

I disagree Pewter- the players bounced back- made mistakes but played hard and generally pretty smart. Tubby, however, who I thought coached a good game is on the radio right now sounding like a major loser to me. Calling out individual players for mistakes one after the other. Not good for a team that played hard and is obviously a little fragile.

Players gave effort, but when you score 44 pts in the game clearly there's not much coaching going on. Good point by OP, tubby has certainly been good at mind fuc&ing his teams here and they are never better at the end of the regular season than they were at The beginning

I disagree Pewter- the players bounced back- made mistakes but played hard and generally pretty smart. Tubby, however, who I thought coached a good game is on the radio right now sounding like a major loser to me. Calling out individual players for mistakes one after the other. Not good for a team that played hard and is obviously a little fragile.

So nurture?

I don't want a fragile team. I want a team that is so pissed about losing to NW they almost need no coaching to motivate them to give their very best against a rival.

I was curious if anyone else was listening. Tubby just seems to ramble and babble.

Also what you said.

My respect for Tubby as a coach drops a little each day. I know that means a lot to him...

The rest of this season is going to be really interesting. The schedule gets better, so they could get something going and turn this whole thing around. They also could continue to tank it and have a disaster.

Unfortunately, recent history and Tubby's demeanor lean more to the latter. If that happens, they have to move on, don't they? There no excuses this year, not even the crowbar Dpo so lovingly references all the time.

I don't want a fragile team. I want a team that is so pissed about losing to NW they almost need no coaching to motivate them to give their very best against a rival.

Wisconsin doesn't play basketball- they play chess. Pissed off isn't the way to play a chess game. I thought we played well- but didn't sink enough shots. Austin Hollins, the same guy that has won some games with hot shooting -1 for 10 including a silly but pissed off looking dunk. He shoots normally- we win.

I like Tubby...have met him personally and he is a genuine nice guy...HOWEVER...

He has to have some of the most mentally fragile players I have ever seen...leads me to ask one question. The finger pointing we hear after games, the calling out of players...how bad does he go off on players in practice? To the point they are afraid to lose or make a mistake instead of just playing the game?

Tough stretch of games we went through and this loss would have been tolerable with a win at Northwestern the other night. We have shot so poorly the last few games, I keep telling myself it will all come back. Go Gophers!!

I was curious if anyone else was listening. Tubby just seems to ramble and babble.

Also what you said.

He is just a terrible communicator. He cannot complete a sentence.

Wisconsin doesn't play basketball- they play chess. Pissed off isn't the way to play a chess game. I thought we played well- but didn't sink enough shots. Austin Hollins, the same guy that has won some games with hot shooting -1 for 10 including a silly but pissed off looking dunk. He shoots normally- we win.

Fair point. But whatever they play, I want our very best against a rival and we didn't get it. We missed a dunk. Some of our key players couldn't hit sand if they fell of a camel.

I like Tubby...have met him personally and he is a genuine nice guy...HOWEVER...

He has to have some of the most mentally fragile players I have ever seen...leads me to ask one question. The finger pointing we hear after games, the calling out of players...how bad does he go off on players in practice? To the point they are afraid to lose or make a mistake instead of just playing the game?

Tough stretch of games we went through and this loss would have been tolerable with a win at Northwestern the other night. We have shot so poorly the last few games, I keep telling myself it will all come back. Go Gophers!!

So you think nurture as well?

I have always been a Tubby fan, but this season makes me begin to question why exactly are we paying him all this money. He talks about pointing fingers, but he does quite a bit of that himself. Maybe its time to move on.

I think they will be okay. Tubby is always delivering mixed messages. He has been talking about being aggressive and taking it to the other team (translation- go to the hole). Then after the game he criticizes Andre for going to the hole and picking up the charge. That will stop your point guard from driving to the bucket in a hurry. When your PG doesn't drive- you can get one dimensional pretty fast. To me there is just not a sense of what Tubby really wants to do other than he wants them to win. There is not much purpose out there. That said- I still think this was one of Tubby's better coached games this year.

I saw what I wanted to see out of the team. Played hard and if we make our free throws we win.

Tubby should try the "get your chili hot" motivation technique.

Don't care who you are, it's VERY difficult to win at kohl. Finally got a bounce back game against Nebraska at the barn coming up. They lose that one then yes this season is in serious jeapordy.

Vs Nebraska win
Vs Iowa win
At Sparty loss
Vs Illini Win
Vs Becky Win
At Iowa Win
That's I think! Will be 8-5 heading into Columbus and people will forget about our slump, team competed today, Jackson got a nice role on that shot, becky gets a three on that botched possession arrow, Austin misses dunk, I don't blame Tubby for that, I predicted 11-7 in conference and it looks like the schedule is going play out that way

When you have D2 guys up and down your bench you just aren't going to make it through the season very often. Starters slump, get injured, etc. His pathetic recruiting is what hurts the most.

I thought Mav and Elliot were decent today, Mav made a couple big threes, he seems to do alright against teams like wisconsin

When you have D2 guys up and down your bench you just aren't going to make it through the season very often. Starters slump, get injured, etc. His pathetic recruiting is what hurts the most.

Yeah, okay. The bench made 80% of their shots, had 6 rebounds, and just two turnovers. The bench had very little to do with why we lost. When three of your best players play that poorly, it's tough for anyone to win on the road.

Vs Nebraska win
Vs Iowa win
At Sparty loss
Vs Illini Win
Vs Becky Win
At Iowa Win
That's I think! Will be 8-5 heading into Columbus and people will forget about our slump, team competed today, Jackson got a nice role on that shot, becky gets a three on that botched possession arrow, Austin misses dunk, I don't blame Tubby for that, I predicted 11-7 in conference and it looks like the schedule is going play out that way

Winning at Iowa will be a task. None the less- we should be able to squeeze out a 10-8 year with the remaining schedule without doing anything amazing. That should be good enough for 5th and Tubby's highest finish ever......Sigh.

We had another coach like that. Couldn't look anyone in the eye. Didn't end well for him.

It ended very well for him. He walked out with $1M and landed in a less demanding job. We'll have to go through about two more years of this crap, attendance at the barn will be down to 8K a game during B1G season and Tubby will have whiffed on the Big Three before he walks out of here with $2.5M in his pocket and we start over. It didn't have to be this way.

It didn't have to be this way.

Winning at Iowa will be a task. None the less- we should be able to squeeze out a 10-8 year with the remaining schedule without doing anything amazing. That should be good enough for 5th and Tubby's highest finish ever......Sigh.

One hiccup and it's a suspenseful Selection Sunday. Unacceptable.

Top Bottom