New Q&A: One-On-One With Nation's #1: Jashon Cornell Talks Cretin, Recruiting & More

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
New Q&A: One-On-One With Nation's #1: Jashon Cornell Talks Cretin, Recruiting & More

One-On-One With Nation's #1: Jashon Cornell Talks Cretin, Recruiting and More
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/297400?referrer_id=388419

Jashon Cornell, a 6-4 junior defensive end from St. Paul (MN) Cretin Derham Hall, is ranked as the country’s top player in the Class of 2015. Cornell attended the Minnesota-Iowa game and GopherHole.com caught up with him to learn more about his junior season and recruitment.

Gopher Hole: You were out for the game versus East Ridge with a concussion, but you got a big win against the number two in the state. A little bit of a mixed emotion, but how pleased are you that the team was able to step up and get a big victory?

Jashon Cornell: I am pleased with the team’s overall win. The defense stepped up without me and I feel good about their play.

Gopher Hole: How about your own individual play so far this season?

Jashon Cornell: I think that I have played good, but I can play better.

Gopher Hole: You are ranked #1 in the country. Have you noticed the other teams or other players that you go up against that know your ranking and are giving you their best possible effort?

Jashon Cornell: I think that they give me all that they have.

Gopher Hole: I see that you are doing for a blog for USA Today. How did that come about and do you like doing things like that?

Jashon Cornell: I forgot how it came about, but I am liking it so far.

Gopher Hole: I think that you have done one blog so far. How long did it take you to come up with that much material?

Jashon Cornell: About 15 minutes.

Gopher Hole: What is the latest on your recruitment? Any new offers?

Jashon Cornell: I think that Texas is going to offer soon.

Gopher Hole: How many offers are you up to right now? Do you still keep track or is hard?

Jashon Cornell: I have 24 or 25.

Gopher Hole: Have you had a chance to go to any other college games this fall?

Jashon Cornell: I went to Michigan-Notre Dame and this one.

Gopher Hole: Have you even thought about camps for next year yet or have you even thought that far?

Jashon Cornell: I have not thought that through yet?

Gopher Hole: I know that your basketball team is playing at the Target Center in the Timberwolves Shootout. I know that it is hard to do much basketball-wise, but how excited are you about the upcoming season with you, Sam Neumann and Joe Rosga all returning after starring as sophomores last season?

Jashon Cornell: I am excited about the season.

Gopher Hole: What things have you been working on to continue to improve yourself as a football player?

Jashon Cornell: I am trying to work on getting bigger and still staying fast and quick.

Gopher Hole: A lot of Gopher fans would love to see you play here. What would it mean to maybe play for the home state school?

Jashon Cornell: Just be the hometown hero.

thanks chris for this interview and all of your others, much appreciated.

for those that have seen him play, does he just dominate at this level? being the top kid in the class, i have to think he's a man amongst boys, correct?

for those that have seen him play, does he just dominate at this level? being the top kid in the class, i have to think he's a man amongst boys, correct?
at times, but it's pretty hard to dominate a game at defensive end. Watched the 2nd half of the White Bear Lake game last Friday night and he wasn't much of a factor when he was in the game in the 3rd quarter and he didn't end up playing much of the 4th quarter despite it being a 1-score game. Don't know if their is some other lingering injury besides the concussion the coaches were concerned with.

I went to the game that was on ESPN against Stillwater. He was extremely quiet. I highly doubt he is #1 when the rankings are updated.

I went to the game that was on ESPN against Stillwater. He was extremely quiet. I highly doubt he is #1 when the rankings are updated.

Good old afurry, always throwing a nail into the chain saw.

New Q&A: One-On-One With Nation's #1: Jashon Cornell Talks Cretin, Recruiting...

Good old afurry, always throwing a nail into the chain saw.

As a comparison, Rivals has him at 4*. That is probably too low.

247sports has him at 19. I'd say that's about right.

Last season Jashon had over 50 tackles 14 sacks and 24 tackles for loss as a sophomore, that is what jadeveon Clooney did last year but with more games, I would say that is dominating, I don't know what his stats are this year though but I would suspect teams are doing a better job game planning against him this year and constantly double or triple team him and run the ball away from him

Top Bottom