New Q&A: Jeff Jones Talks Gophers, Gators, Wolverines & Recruiting Overall

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Jeff Jones Talks Gophers, Gators, Wolverines & Recruiting Overall With Signing Day Approaching
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/340881?referrer_id=388419

Jeff Jones, a 5-10, 180-pound senior running back from Minneapolis Washburn who was named Minnesota's Mr. Football, talked to Gopher Hole about the latest on his recruitment and visit plans Saturday.

Jones rushed for 1523 yards (9.1 yards per carry) as a senior. He had 493 receiving yards (18.5 yards per reception). Jones had 44 touchdowns this season and finished his career with 4668 yards and 92 career touchdowns.

The two-sport standout talked with Gopher Hole Saturday before the Millers' basketball 88-78 overtime loss to Waseca about the latest on his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: Do you like the recruiting process? Will you be glad when it is finally over?

Jeff Jones: The recruiting process is enjoyable right now. There is a lot to look forward to. I have two more visits left. I'll be happy when it is all over because you officially know where you are going and you can put your heart into that program and learn more about that program.

Gopher Hole: What is your least favorite part of it?

Jeff Jones: The reporters (laughing). There are a lot of people, somehow they get my phone number and they just keep blowing me up and blowing me up. Right now, that is really the most annoying part.

Gopher Hole: So, sorry about that.

Jeff Jones: No, don't be. If you get me in the flesh, I am good, but I don't like texting. I would rather be talked to in the flesh than texting two pages about where I have been and how I liked it.

Gopher Hole: Have you set up those two visits the next two weekends or are you still planning that?

Jeff Jones: Yes. I will be going to Florida on the 24th and Michigan on the 31st.

Gopher Hole: Have both of those schools offered you?

Jeff Jones: Yes. They have.

Gopher Hole: Are you planning on deciding by the 5th, which is the signing date or are you going to decided that day?

Jeff Jones: I am going to sign on February 5th at the school's gym.

Gopher Hole: Are they doing a little ceremony at the school?

Jeff Jones: They are doing a pep fest or something like that to recognize all the guys that are signing at my school.

Gopher Hole: Do you have any other teammates who are doing something that day?

Jeff Jones: There should be about three or four guys on my team that should be able to sign.

Gopher Hole: Do you know where they are going yet or are they still trying to figure that out, too?

Jeff Jones: They are still trying to figure that out. They are looking more into the academic programs of the schools. They already know exactly what they want to major in, so they are looking more into the details of what the academics have to offer.

Gopher Hole: In terms of your academics, have you decided on a major yet or have you thought that far?

Jeff Jones: I have thought about criminal justice and business, right now, it is still just a thinking process.

Gopher Hole: I know that you have been working on your academics. Are you eligible yet or do you still need to work on some things?

Jeff Jones: I have got to take the ACT. After I take the ACT, I'll know for sure if I am going to be eligible or not. That is going to give it all away.

Gopher Hole: When are you planning on taking that?

Jeff Jones: February 8th.

Gopher Hole: Are you taking it again?

Jeff Jones: I took a practice one.

Gopher Hole: What is going to be the main thing that is finally going to make you pick School A over School B or C?

Jeff Jones: It is going to be the relationship with the coaches. There have been schools that have come in late, but if I can build a relationship with where I can trust the coaching staff in this time period, then that would be great for me.

Gopher Hole: How many schools would you really say that you are considering right now?

Jeff Jones: Minnesota. Michigan State, Iowa State, Michigan, Florida and Tennessee.

Gopher Hole: You have never been to Tennessee yet, right?

Jeff Jones: No. Their coach gave me a call after the game and basically broke down why I would have a chance to play right away and he was a real genuine guy with me. He let me know that they passed up on a good player, but they are trying to make up for it by talking to me.

Gopher Hole: I haven't talked to you since the Under Armour All-America Game, where you were named MVP. What was that experience like and how proud are you for receiving that kind of award?

Jeff Jones: I felt great. It was a great opportunity to be able to go out there and showcase Minnesota talent. Not only what I have, but there are guys up here that can play at that level. It was a great opportunity to go down there and play.

Gopher Hole: Unfortunately, people across the country don't know how good the talent is in Minnesota. Was that nice to show that there are some good players from here?

Jeff Jones: Yes. We are sitting here in Owatonna and we have Andrew Stetler committed to the Gophers and that kid is a totally different person once he straps up his pads. That is just another example of the talent that we have up here that is not being seen on a national stage.

Gopher Hole: You committed to Minnesota a while ago and they only have one running back commitment and that is you. Is that important to you when you look at schools?

Jeff Jones: Yes. That shows that Minnesota is going to be just as loyal as I am. They are a staff that told me if I am going to commit that they are not going to look for no other backs. That is the thing that I like about them. The staff is a true and genuine staff and if they get the guy that they want they are going to change that program around fast.

Gopher Hole: Have you looked at some of the other programs like Florida and Michigan to see how many running back commitments they have?

Jeff Jones: They don't have any. Both of the schools that you named don't have a running back signed in my class, so they are really coming at me hard right now.

Gopher Hole: You committed to Minnesota a while ago and they only have one running back commitment and that is you. Is that important to you when you look at schools?

Jeff Jones: Yes. That shows that Minnesota is going to be just as loyal as I am. They are a staff that told me if I am going to commit that they are not going to look for no other backs. That is the thing that I like about them. The staff is a true and genuine staff and if they get the guy that they want they are going to change that program around fast.

Oh no, Jeff! Did Minnesota announce that they might pull your offer if someone better comes along?

Hopefully the young man gets some good advice. Come here, graduate, play hard and become a Gopher great. Forget the sex offers over yonder, home is where his greatest chance of success is.

Meant sexy offers, sorry.

Wait I'm confused, Michigan and Florida don't have RB commitments in this years class? I don't follow recruiting much, except for the Gophers, but I thought Brandon Powell(RB) is committed to Florida and Michigan has offers out to a whole slew of RB's.

I hopt this isn't a sign that Jeff is easily manipulated by sleezy, salesmen coachs coming in late to the game here.

Wait I'm confused, Michigan and Florida don't have RB commitments in this years class? I don't follow recruiting much, except for the Gophers, but I thought Brandon Powell(RB) is committed to Florida and Michigan has offers out to a whole slew of RB's.

I hopt this isn't a sign that Jeff is easily manipulated by sleezy, salesmen coachs coming in late to the game here.

Yeah, either Jeff isn't aware of the Powell commit or Florida coaches are telling Jones that Powell might play another position or some other twist to keep Jeff happy. Regardless, I think Michigan is the main threat for Jones anyways.

I just don't see Jeff going to any other school than Minnesota. The way he talks with pride about showing the country that Minnesota has talent, how could he abandon his state and leave it hanging by not playing here. He talks very strongly about loyalty and how Minnesota is waiting for him, how could he let let them down. He is wrong that Florida doesn't have a RB commit in his class, also Michigan is putting the full court press on other RB's, so he is just one option for those schools. Their interest is has no loyalty, just need. I think if he blocks out the "glamor" of being recruited by other high profile schools and just listens to his heart, their is no option but Minnesota.

I just don't see Jeff going to any other school than Minnesota. The way he talks with pride about showing the country that Minnesota has talent, how could he abandon his state and leave it hanging by not playing here. He talks very strongly about loyalty and how Minnesota is waiting for him, how could he let let them down. He is wrong that Florida doesn't have a RB commit in his class, also Michigan is putting the full court press on other RB's, so he is just one option for those schools. Their interest is has no loyalty, just need. I think if he blocks out the "glamor" of being recruited by other high profile schools and just listens to his heart, their is no option but Minnesota.

It ain't over 'til the ink is dry on commitment day. Players can say one thing to not offend the home town team, but do the opposite. Hopefully, this is not the case.

Jones and Ragnow are the signature signees MN is looking for to put a stamp on the program on the rise. We can't continue to lose top in state talent.

If I were him, I would be very wary of any promises made by the Michigan staff as it is more likely than not that it will be a completely different staff in place 2 years from now....same argument but a 90% confidence on FL coaches being dumped. Kill, or his people, will be here for a long time to come so there is a little better certainty in what they say. With that said, I think players should embrace competition and let their talent win PT and I am sure JJ will do just that.

We can't continue to lose top in state talent.

I love Kill and the staff and where the program is headed...but this is the key to getting over the hump. We have to lock down our boarders and supplement with FL & TX recruits. We just aren't going to replace 4 & 5 star MN kids with out state kids. We can supplement the top instate talent with 3 star out state talent (and hopefully a 4 star here and there) plus some under the radar diamonds that Kill and staff are good at rooting out.

As this program keeps building and the wins become consistant Kill will be signing 4 and 5 stars players from anywhere. They will still need to fit the system and have their heads on straight.

This program is headed the right direction. There is no doubt of that.

I fully expect Jones signs with the Gophers and is a tremendous boost to the program. A leap toward becoming a helmet school. A destination. That takes time, but our history (ancient perhaps) serves us well. Revive the tradition. Obviously I see big things ahead for Gopher football. It started with a couple of Regents and then the new President and AD. It will move forward. Let's get this practice facility complex going!

It appears thast the academic situation may be more fluid than we thought. If Jeff hasn't taken the ACT test it is hard to predict his eligibility to enroll at any of the schools listed. I also thought you had to have ACT results before you could take official visits. Is that correct?

It appears thast the academic situation may be more fluid than we thought. If Jeff hasn't taken the ACT test it is hard to predict his eligibility to enroll at any of the schools listed. I also thought you had to have ACT results before you could take official visits. Is that correct?

Hopefully, this is not another Andre McDonald situation. Jeff Jones will be a program changer if he can put on a uniform. I have no doubt Kill's program will benefit him as a person as well as any aspirations playing on Sundays. But, it all starts with becoming eligible.

Top Bottom