New OL commit

I assume Pickney and Martin were 3-techs while Carter and MDT were Nose. In modern 40 fronts, 3-tech is more of the "star" and gets more stats while Nose is usually unheralded but extremely important, like OL.

Hopefully this spring and coming fall, we will see some further development and possible game reps for Logan Richter out of Perham, MN.

I'm really hoping Richter can be a quality 1-tech for us this year. He's got the size, he's been in the program for years....it's his time to shine.

I'm really hoping Richter can be a quality 1-tech for us this year. He's got the size, he's been in the program for years....it's his time to shine.
This will be one of the biggest keys to next season (IMO). It's especially true because our Carter. Carter COULD play 1-tech for us if Richter isn't ready, but he is athletic enough to play the 3 technique (or at least at times).

Normally, you cannot play 2 NT types because they lack the athleticism for any sort of stretch/outside zone (anything that requires some mobility from the interior) or to get any sort of pass rush. Carter is one of those rare guys who (theoretically) is athletic enough to play the 3-tech but strong enough to play the 1-tech.

We are definitely thin on returning experience on the interior DL.

Just Carter and Richter, the latter of which didn't play much in 2021.

There is class of 2020 Gage Keys, I believe was a DE recruit but looks like he's bulked up. Similarly is class of 2021 Devon Eastern, I believe played DE at Shakopee but has obviously moved inside.

And then a couple class of 2021 guys who were recruited at interior, McCoy and Schuster.

There is class of 2020 Gage Keys, I believe was a DE recruit but looks like he's bulked up. Similarly is class of 2021 Devon Eastern, I believe played DE at Shakopee but has obviously moved inside.

And then a couple class of 2021 guys who were recruited at interior, McCoy and Schuster.

Sounds like McCoy had an injury this past year that prevented him from doing as much S&C, so he still needs to bulk up. Probably should not expect him to factor in much in 2022.

Quality 1-tech, NT types are harder to come by. Trill Carter can play either. If Darnell Jeffries, the transfer from Clemson can give us some quality snaps, things look a lot better.

No, I am one of those guys that watches the games with interest. Gibbons was great but the other two, I don't know. Maybe I expected too much of Pinckney.
You uh…. watch him at all last year?

That comment makes no sense if you did…

I assume Pickney and Martin were 3-techs while Carter and MDT were Nose. In modern 40 fronts, 3-tech is more of the "star" and gets more stats while Nose is usually unheralded but extremely important, like OL.

Hopefully this spring and coming fall, we will see some further development and possible game reps for Logan Richter out of Perham, MN.
Pinckney and Carter were pretty interchangeable and played both 3-tech and 1.

Pinckney was our top DT. He led all DT's in tackles, sacks, & QB hurries. We'd take that every year.

Martin, was a distant 4th statistically among DT's after Pinckney, Carter & MDT (he only played 8 games, compared to their 12 & 13 games), but still was in the 2 deeps, and provided needed depth. Certainly worth the schollie for the year.
I agree Martin provided solid depth although its probably a wash between him and Schad who likely would have still been here if we didn’t take Martin.

Correct. That emphasizes my point. He was 4th statistically among our DT's. Had he played the full season, his contribution would have been higher still. It's not that he couldn't contribute on the field.
We had the third best defense in the entire country. Maybe I'm easily impressed but I don't think anyone who was able to get significant/meaningful run on the third best defense in the country can really be considered a flop. Having a defense that good really means that you don't have a lot of weaknesses.

He was a depth defensive tackle at a position of dire need (coming into the season). It would have been great if he was Jon Schlecht 2.0 but getting solid/steady DT was a huge improvement over 2020.

Interesting about Martin. Wonder if that was related to the others that quit the team abruptly before I believe one of the last games?

Interesting about Martin. Wonder if that was related to the others that quit the team abruptly before I believe one of the last games?

From what I understand, Fleck takes the :cool02:"culture" part more seriously than some players expect him to. Not saying this is what happened with Martin, but I am saying this is what happened with some of our abrupt departures.

From what I understand, Fleck takes the :cool02:"culture" part more seriously than some players expect him to. Not saying this is what happened with Martin, but I am saying this is what happened with some of our abrupt departures.

I also wondered if - since Martin was not starting - if he just realized he wasn't going to the NFL and got frustrated and was just over school and football and decided to hang it up

Correct. That emphasizes my point. He was 4th statistically among our DT's. Had he played the full season, his contribution would have been higher still. It's not that he couldn't contribute on the field.
LOL.

Chuck Filiaga is a great addition. At a minimum, he is a fill-in as a quality rotation guy. If he does beat out the competition in the Spring, he may have a shot to be recognized by an NFL team.

Chuck Filiaga is a great addition. At a minimum, he is a fill-in as a quality rotation guy. If he does beat out the competition in the Spring, he may have a shot to be recognized by an NFL team.
Will be very surprised if he doesn’t earn a starting spot. Don’t think he would commit somewhere he didn’t think he had a great shot at starting in his final year.

I agree Martin provided solid depth although its probably a wash between him and Schad who likely would have still been here if we didn’t take Martin.
Or maybe it was the other way around? They grabbed Martin because Schad left? Wild guess, I don't remember the exact timings.

Quality 1-tech, NT types are harder to come by. Trill Carter can play either. If Darnell Jeffries, the transfer from Clemson can give us some quality snaps, things look a lot better.
Pinckney and Carter were pretty interchangeable and played both 3-tech and 1.
Did we mostly go with a 3-man rotation at interior DL between Carter, MDT, and Pinckney, then? I can't remember if a fourth guy was getting significant game reps. As was brought up, Martin did play in 8 games, but if he left early I assume a big factor was lack of playing time.

We had the third best defense in the entire country. Maybe I'm easily impressed but I don't think anyone who was able to get significant/meaningful run on the third best defense in the country can really be considered a flop. Having a defense that good really means that you don't have a lot of weaknesses.

He was a depth defensive tackle at a position of dire need (coming into the season). It would have been great if he was Jon Schlecht 2.0 but getting solid/steady DT was a huge improvement over 2020.
Did we mostly go with a 3-man rotation at interior DL between Carter, MDT, and Pinckney, then? I can't remember if a fourth guy was getting significant game reps. As was brought up, Martin did play in 8 games, but if he left early I assume a big factor was lack of playing time.
After Martin left we mostly had a 3 man rotation.

Top Bottom