New OC talks about simplifying

Could the fumble problem stem from the fact that everytime MG enterered the game, the pressure was on for him to be a world beater. Trying to do to much with the very limited opportunities he had through out the year.

I think once he gets the ball in his hands every play we'll see a different player. It's not quite the same, but I see it like asking a QB to throw a 15 yard strike on a crossing pattern the one time a game he throws the ball, of course he can make that throw, but if he misses badly once or twice, we all start asking for a new QB because of his accuracy problem, Or if a kicker is asked to kick a 40 yard field goal 1 out of every 30 times we kick a field goals and sits the rest of the season, of course he's capable, but If he misses once out of 4 times he has a chance coming off the bench, he has accuracy problems. Experience is huge, playing every down is huge, comfort running the offense is huge.

Make no mistake, MG will put the ball on the ground, he will also throw some pretty horrendous Ints and will lose a big chunk of yardage from time to time trying to make too much out of a busted play. But I think given the experience and hopefully the right coaching we will see him on ESPN for a lot more positive plays than negative ones.

This is definitely one of the change's that Fisch made that need's to get the boot. That and any secret squirell play's where we get a little to "creative" for the game situation.

+1 on the "creative" plays. I may be misremembering but it seems like there were a handful of times last year that we had productive drives blown up by unconventional plays gone bad.

I liked what I read about Horton simplifying the offense. Also agree with giving the blocking call back to the center. With either quarterback in the game, it should help them out.

Here's my big question - Weber was an adequate runner two seasons ago. Did he not run as well last year because of his knees, or because the coaches told him not to run? Possibly stubbornness by Fisch to make Weber more like an NFL pro-style quarterback? Or possibly told not to run because they didn't want him to get injured because of lack of confidence in his backup? It seemed many occasions that Weber had yards to gain on the ground but he chose not to run and wait and wait and wait and then take a sack.

Studwell brings a lot more to the table than you do, probably the best poster on this board. If you don't like reality, then I could see him getting annoying.

Got up on the wrong side of the bed today huh NateDawg? :pig: That's ok, it happens to the best of us. If you had read my post with anything bordering on a reasonable attitude you would have noticed that my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek.

In no way was I disparaging ALL of Studwell's posts. I was teasing him for one post featuring a doom and gloom blanket pronouncement stating 'we stink'. The Gophers have vastly more athleticism on the roster than any time in the short duration of my natural life. Informed criticism is good. Blanket negativity will be teased. No need to stress. :clap:

We'll see what actually happens, however, Horton does have a track record of running a pretty simple offense. Granted, WI had some peices that made running a simple offense more plausible (Dayne, Bennett, good OL).

What would be an awesome scenario (in my opinion), is if Horton treated GRay similiarily to how he treated Bollinger (Early in his career at WI): run the ball a lot, and make 1/2 of his throwing attempts pass/run reads. Bollinger was a dangerous player in college, and he never had the physical tools that Gray has.

Agree 100%. Bollinger was a very good college QB in that system. Man did he kill us with that QB draw over and over and over again.

Read the article and liked what Horton said.

Jeff Horton is a solid coach and a good teacher. I remember him as Grad Assistant with our Holtz Teams in the 80's. He was one of those coaches that after got your tongue lashing from the Head Coach, he would take you aside and actually coach you through what you did wrong. Alot of Grad Assistants wanted to be hard asses to show the Head Coach what they were made of and all that other BS. I don't know if Horton will ever be a successful Head Coach but I think and hope he does well as an Offensive Coordinator and at the U.

Good Luck Jeff!

You can't be serious. When was the last time Mr Studwell has brought anything more than snark to the table.

I am a fan of snark, but c'mon. How did his post "bring anything to the table"?

Unlike a lot of people around here, I actually know a little about football and I've been watching the Gophers closely for 20 years. I'm also a huge fan who wants the Gophers to win every game. So take it or leave it.

Nate..are you flirting with me? :)

Unlike a lot of people around here, I actually know a little about football[/B] and I've been watching the Gophers closely for 20 years. I'm also a huge fan who wants the Gophers to win every game. So take it or leave it.

Nate..are you flirting with me? :)

Emphasized.

Jacobite.

Nothing more to add.

Elbee.jpg

:cool02:

When you know a little something and don't mind saying so, it can sometimes get ugly. It just did.

Top Bottom