New OC talks about simplifying

station19

Reaction score
I think a lot of folks will like what he is saying.

Didn't see this posted anywhere else. Was kind of surprised.

Good. Give college players a college offense that they can execute. Don't try to do everything, just figure out what you can do well, and do it.

We'll see if that's true or not come game time. I vaguely remember us discussing the same thing with Fisch last year.

Good. Give college players a college offense that they can execute. Don't try to do everything, just figure out what you can do well, and do it.

Exactly....Figure out what Mr. Gray does well and let him loose....He's got a glide to his step and I can't wait to see him cutting up defenses with his athleticism.

This is a no brainer. We correctly executed maybe 10 plays on offense this last year with any consistency, many of those were easy short gainer runs or short passes.
It's just a no brainer to take those plays, add maybe a few more and build off them as they become second nature.
I'm intrigued with the potential some of our guys have when blocks and routes are executed properly and passes and runs are read where they should be. There are enough guys with excellent open field elusiveness and speed to make a few well executed plays dangerous.
Stoudemire, Allen, Mcknight, Gray, these guys one on one can matchup and exploit a good percentage of defenders one way or another. It will be interesting to see what is kept and what is scrapped come fall. Spring ball by all accounts is going to be a runfest with emphasis on toughness up front. Another good thing.

Exactly....Figure out what Mr. Gray does well and let him loose....He's got a glide to his step and I can't wait to see him cutting up defenses with his athleticism.

Having Gray here with Weber has turned out to be a very negative situation. It should have been a learning/mentoring type of thing, but it hasn't worked out that way at all. Gray needed to be the guy sooner than later imo. At the same time, we have a very experienced qb who has started from day one.

Waiting on the future is a very hard thing to do for coaches and fans alike. Giving up on experience for raw ability is a lot easier for the fans.

Brewster has to worry about all aspects of this instead of having that great "problem" of having too many qb's.

What to do, what to do...

Our situation is messy.

We stink--and the most talented player on the roster rarely plays.

Our situation is messy.

We stink--and the most talented player on the roster rarely plays.

It is true that the tone and content of your post smells terribly. Ugh! Get it and you out of here :D

The Gophers are going to have a solid Big Ten quality Defense that ranks in the top half of the conference. If the Offense can develop any consistency at all next year should be great fun.

Fret not about the present for the Future is Gray!

Studwell brings a lot more to the table than you do, probably the best poster on this board. If you don't like reality, then I could see him getting annoying.

Why does EVERY coach come and and say he's going to simplify whatever it is that he's coaching?

I mean, simple works if you're bigger, faster and stronger than the other team, but otherwise, it's pretty easy to figure out.

If you can't execute a more complex offense, complexity is a lot worse than simplicity.

Studwell brings a lot more to the table than you do, probably the best poster on this board.

You can't be serious. When was the last time Mr Studwell has brought anything more than snark to the table.

I am a fan of snark, but c'mon. How did his post "bring anything to the table"?

You have to believe that success or failure next season rest heavily on the shoulders of Jeff Horton. He needs to build up the players confidence and teach them how to execute the plays. It sounds like he has a plan to do so. We have some very good individual players (Gray, McKnight, Stoudemire), but we haven't been able to put it all together. I think it really all depends on how the o line turns out. My impression toward the end of the season was that they were effective in passing situations, but could not push the opposing defensive linemen back. If we can get enough push up front, we could start piling up yards on play action passes. No push equals no play action, I would guess. My hope is all the talk of a open qb competition this spring is more than just talk. Gray will give opposing defenses fits this fall if they give him a chance.

One small change that could play big dividends is to switch the offensive line blocking scheme call from the QB to the center again. That was something Fisch put in because it's "what they do in the pros". I think it puts too much on the mind of the QB and he misses opportunities to read the opposing coverage and doesn't adequately focus on the play at hand. I also think it might help with the offensive line getting a better grasp of blocking responsibilities and cohension as a group.

One small change that could play big dividends is to switch the offensive line blocking scheme call from the QB to the center again. That was something Fisch put in because it's "what they do in the pros". I think it puts too much on the mind of the QB and he misses opportunities to read the opposing coverage and doesn't adequately focus on the play at hand. I also think it might help with the offensive line getting a better grasp of blocking responsibilities and cohension as a group.

This is a very good point. It's one less thing for the QB to do and gives him more time to think about the execution of the play.

Studwell brings a lot more to the table than you do, probably the best poster on this board. If you don't like reality, then I could see him getting annoying.

Why does EVERY coach come and and say he's going to simplify whatever it is that he's coaching?

I mean, simple works if you're bigger, faster and stronger than the other team, but otherwise, it's pretty easy to figure out.

Okay, not "EVERY". Could we just get to the point on here where people don't use this kind of intellectual dishonesty to impress the rest of us with the validity of their POV? You have a solid viewpoint, why cheapen it with an adjective that can't possibly be true?

We'll see if that's true or not come game time. I vaguely remember us discussing the same thing with Fisch last year.

The reason you "vaguely remember" is because you don't remember. Fisch never said jack about simplifying the offense. He talked about having an explosive, diversified offense when he got hired. Google Jedd Fisch and read the press release announcing his hiring.

Okay, not "EVERY". Could we just get to the point on here where people don't use this kind of intellectual dishonesty to impress the rest of us with the validity of their POV? You have a solid viewpoint, why cheapen it with an adjective that can't possibly be true?

Bravo! All this over generalization is dumber than the cheap shots in my opinion.

The reason you "vaguely remember" is because you don't remember. Fisch never said jack about simplifying the offense. He talked about having an explosive, diversified offense when he got hired. Google Jedd Fisch and read the press release announcing his hiring.

Correct, Fisch brought in an extremely complicated offense. There was talk at the end of the season that the offense would be simplified for 2010, that may be the confusion.

An offense can be simplified and still be explosive, successful, and dangerous. Alot of it comes down to the Athletes on the field in college football. I'm not sure we put out better athletes on offense against other schools' defense.....yet.

I posted before that when the offense had a good game, it was because Weber analyzed and called out the blocking assignments well (Syracuse-Cal-MSU). Thickheadedly, I never thought about how it probably fouled him up in analyzing coverages.

This sums up my feelings as well. Mr. Horton, let the center and others do the work.

You can't be serious. When was the last time Mr Studwell has brought anything more than snark to the table.

I am a fan of snark, but c'mon. How did his post "bring anything to the table"?

Because he actually talks about football?

We'll see what actually happens, however, Horton does have a track record of running a pretty simple offense. Granted, WI had some peices that made running a simple offense more plausible (Dayne, Bennett, good OL).

What would be an awesome scenario (in my opinion), is if Horton treated GRay similiarily to how he treated Bollinger (Early in his career at WI): run the ball a lot, and make 1/2 of his throwing attempts pass/run reads. Bollinger was a dangerous player in college, and he never had the physical tools that Gray has.

We'll see what actually happens, however, Horton does have a track record of running a pretty simple offense. Granted, WI had some peices that made running a simple offense more plausible (Dayne, Bennett, good OL).

What would be an awesome scenario (in my opinion), is if Horton treated GRay similiarily to how he treated Bollinger (Early in his career at WI): run the ball a lot, and make 1/2 of his throwing attempts pass/run reads. Bollinger was a dangerous player in college, and he never had the physical tools that Gray has.

Bingo!

God that would be awesome.

A lot of problems can be solved, all we can do is hope that they will be. But it is something we have to take into consideration. If the fumbling problem isn't solves, we may see Weber as QB. I hope it is solved, I'd love to see some option from Gray, or rollout passes where he has the option to pass or run.

How about fumbling away a bowl win?

What was the point of this remark? The guy merely said that the Gophers should find what Gray is good at and let him do those things. I don't think anyone thinks he is a perfect player or that he won't make some mistakes.

I don't really get what the point of that comment was. Did you just want to look clever?

I'm really hoping they go back to letting the center make the protection calls

For me it would be best if they go back to having the center being the lead dog on the line, the center makes the initial or protection calls at the line easier. This way if Weber or the QB see's something they don't like or needs to change they will still have plenty of time to make the check's or change the play without rushing anything or being in scramble mode. This "protection" change was one of the "root causes" or played a role in some of the false starts and miscommunication that we witnessed happening at the line last season. Costed the Gophers far to many penalties and negative yardage situations and was just one more thing the QB had to be responsible for. There is nothing wrong with having a strong and "smart" center making the line protection calls.

This is definitely one of the change's that Fisch made that need's to get the boot. That and any secret squirell play's where we get a little to "creative" for the game situation.

Top Bottom