New Myron Tweet - Tubby Smith: No decision on Devoe Joseph's return.

Thanks GL - I would suspect we won't hear anything official until the day of or day before the game where he returns.

During Tuesday's media availability, Tubby Smith said his second unit might be better than his first unit when Joseph is playing with it.

"Our second unit beats the first unit lots of times in practice, especially with Devoe on that team," Smith said. "In fact, they're probably better to put it succinctly. With him on that group, they're probably better than our first group. I like it that way."

Interesting....and very exciting.

First-

Ralph
Trevor
Rodney
Blake
Al

Second-

Colton
Walker
Hollins
Devoe
Mav

Am I missing something or does the 1st team kick the 2nd teams ass 8/10 times?

Interesting....and very exciting.

Armelin, Joseph, Hollins, Iverson and Big Mo I assume are the 2nd team - that is a pretty solid 2nd group, no doubt about it. Could be that Oto mixes in there as well. Practices must be intense at times!

Tubby said players were sluggish at Tuesday's practice. He also said the Gophers didn't execute in a bunch of areas during the Puerto Rico Tipoff. He wants to keep this group humble. He'd start the second unit if it was really better than his first unit. I think he's trying to motivate his starters. Doesn't want them to get caught up in the hype. That's all. But that second group is talented. Ridiculous depth for this squad right now.

Tubby said players were sluggish at Tuesday's practice. He also said the Gophers didn't execute in a bunch of areas during the Puerto Rico Tipoff. He wants to keep this group humble. He'd start the second unit if it was really better than his first unit. I think he's trying to motivate his starters. Doesn't want them to get caught up in the hype. That's all. But that second group is talented. Ridiculous depth for this squad right now.

Myron Pee: Would you please copy to this GH Thread on how and why your top 25 vote was the way it was. Thanks. Doc.

But that second group is talented. Ridiculous depth for this squad right now.

Yep.

It helps when you have some pleasant surprises in Hollins and Armelin. We knew this team had a legitimate top 7 going into the year, but since it appears we are going to be able to trust these two newcomers as well, it adds up to depth we haven't had in a really long time.

Thanks for the insight! I think that's why Tubby barely cracked a smile when they won. It's easy for these kids to get caught up in the hype and let their guard down - we don't want that to happen (i.e. MSU vs. Chaminade (sp?) last night). Contrary to football season, it's amazing to have this much depth!

Myron Pee: Would you please copy to this GH Thread on how and why your top 25 vote was the way it was. Thanks. Doc.

What do you mean? I believe Myron voted for the Gophs at #15, that's exactly what we got. Much better than I had expected, actually.

First-

Ralph
Trevor
Rodney
Blake
Al

Second-

Colton
Walker
Hollins
Devoe
Mav

Am I missing something or does the 1st team kick the 2nd teams ass 8/10 times?

Please put Chip in Place of Mav. Then the teams aren't that far off when you look at it.

Al/Devoe
Blake/Chip
Rodney/Austin
Ralph/Colt
Mbakwe/Walker

I'd say at least two of the matchups are even, if not favor the 2nd team (Colt & Devoe). Rodney can jump out of the gym, but Hollins is a better shooter. Chip can probably do a decent enough job of guarding Blake with his quickness. I'd say Mbakwe/Walker is the only "blowout" matchup in a 5-on-5 drill. I'd still give the edge on paper to the starters but it isn't that big of a gap IMO.

Thanks for the insight! I think that's why Tubby barely cracked a smile when they won. It's easy for these kids to get caught up in the hype and let their guard down - we don't want that to happen (i.e. MSU vs. Chaminade (sp?) last night). Contrary to football season, it's amazing to have this much depth!

What do you mean? I believe Myron voted for the Gophs at #15, that's exactly what we got. Much better than I had expected, actually.

I don't just mean our Gophers, GL. I am asking for his entire poll. Myron has really gotten into this, and I appreciate his work, but I have not seen his entire 1-25 voting. That is all, and whether you like it or not, GL, this old fart still has a lot of love available in his heart. :)

All of this depth will greatly help down the stretch. When was the last time we said we'd be okay with this many freshmen playing significant roles??

Myron actually had them at #17 (not a big difference), but there's nothing wrong with putting the Gophers at that spot IMO. I would probably put them around #20 myself.

Myron actually had them at #17 (not a big difference), but there's nothing wrong with putting the Gophers at that spot IMO. I would probably put them around #20 myself.

He Tweeted this:
"Just submitted my AP ballot. Gophers at No. 15."

God I love Dr.Don's overt creepiness.

I'm glad someone does, lol! I think Dr. Don explained it to me by saying he's not creepy in person, he just acts that way online! :clap:

He Tweeted this:
"Just submitted my AP ballot. Gophers at No. 15."

I'm glad someone does, lol! I think Dr. Don explained it to me by saying he's not creepy in person, he just acts that way online! :clap:

GL, you are taking me at my word, and yet you have never met me in person. For all you know, I am a sex addict that surfs the net for vulnerable, beautiful young women, or am totally harmless. But thank you for believing me when I told you that I will never hurt anyone, I just love laughing and drinking beer. :drink: :drink: :drink: (p.s. I truly enjoy your StribBlog articles)

During Tuesday's media availability, Tubby Smith said his second unit might be better than his first unit when Joseph is playing with it.

"Our second unit beats the first unit lots of times in practice, especially with Devoe on that team," Smith said. "In fact, they're probably better to put it succinctly. With him on that group, they're probably better than our first group. I like it that way."

Translation: Devoe's not all the way out of the dog house yet. .

. It's easy for these kids to get caught up in the hype and let their guard down - we don't want that to happen (i.e. MSU vs. Chaminade (sp?) last night).

Actually, it's been demonstrably easy for adults, i.e. most of the people on this board, to get caught up in the hype. I can't imagine how tough it is for Tubby to keep kids from doing the same.

He also said the Gophers didn't execute in a bunch of areas during the Puerto Rico Tipoff. He wants to keep this group humble. He'd start the second unit if it was really better than his first unit. I think he's trying to motivate his starters.

IMO Tubby seemed especially unpleased with Rodney's all around game.

Actually, it's been demonstrably easy for adults, i.e. most of the people on this board, to get caught up in the hype. I can't imagine how tough it is for Tubby to keep kids from doing the same.

Haha - that is so true.

I think there is a bigger gap than you'd think, although I agree there isn't that big of a gap between Colt and Sampson. No way is Devoe better than or equal to Nolen at pg, especially if you're talking about them playing against each other. Nolen can blow by Devoe every time, and I think Devoe would really struggle to score against Al other than if he's really hot shooting his fadeaways off of screens. Also, even though Chip is much quicker than Hoffarber, I'm not sure that would matter. Even if he drives by Hoffarber, it's going to be tough to get a layup off against Sampson and Trevor. Hoffarber will get his looks from 3 no matter what. He's too good moving off of the ball and his release is so damn quick.

Please put Chip in Place of Mav. Then the teams aren't that far off when you look at it.

Al/Devoe
Blake/Chip
Rodney/Austin
Ralph/Colt
Mbakwe/Walker

I'd say at least two of the matchups are even, if not favor the 2nd team (Colt & Devoe). Rodney can jump out of the gym, but Hollins is a better shooter. Chip can probably do a decent enough job of guarding Blake with his quickness. I'd say Mbakwe/Walker is the only "blowout" matchup in a 5-on-5 drill. I'd still give the edge on paper to the starters but it isn't that big of a gap IMO.

Top Bottom