NEW MUSIC

So, you ask, what is Doug Boodle? Seems to be some kind of incarnation of this, with Mason and Ryan of Karate Chop, Silence.

The Minnesota music scene is so deep and so good.

Karate Chop, Silence released their second full-length today. Go to bandcamp and follow your nose.

The Nielsen Family Band. The name of the album is Eat The Light.

Royal Blood hit a homerun with their latest album, Typhoons, which just came out this past week. Not quite as heavy as their last couple. Much more of a funk and dance vibe....but it still rocks. Not a miss on the entire album. Amazing what these two can do with a bass and a drum kit. For those not familiar with these guys....Mike Kerr....the lead singer uses multiple effect pedals and amps in order to get this sound out of the bass.

Oh....and they kick ass live.

The Minnesota music scene is so deep and so good.

It's cool how many extremely talented bands Minnesota has locally. The Swallows are a super cool Americana band that have been around since the early 00's and have a bunch of really good stuff. J Briozo was a side project from a few back with a much different sound. Las Cruces is an amazing song.

New Dinosaur Jr album coming out April 23rd. They are also scheduled to play First Ave in September. I'm sure I'll get the new album but still a little unsure about getting a ticket that far out.
Just gave it a listen, Sweep it Into Space. It's some wonderful melodic noise, really good.

Just gave it a listen, Sweep it Into Space. It's some wonderful melodic noise, really good.
I picked up a copy last week and I definitely agree. It's the quieter side of Dino Jr. In fact, the Lou Barlow songs don't sound like Dino Jr songs by Lou Barlow, they sound like late era Sebadoh. Really liking it. As I've mentioned here before, it's remarkable how good there comeback has been.

Also, Southern Culture on the Skids has a new album out. Don't know if I would get the album but it would be fun to see them one more time.

I picked up a copy last week and I definitely agree. It's the quieter side of Dino Jr. In fact, the Lou Barlow songs don't sound like Dino Jr songs by Lou Barlow, they sound like late era Sebadoh. Really liking it. As I've mentioned here before, it's remarkable how good there comeback has been.

Also, Southern Culture on the Skids has a new album out. Don't know if I would get the album but it would be fun to see them one more time.

Looks like they have a tour starting in December but no Minnesota dates, at least yet. Might have to road trip to Omaha, Iowa City, or Milwaukee.

I thought the exact same thing about the 2 Barlow tracks about being Sebadoh callbacks, especially the first one which is one of the stronger tracks on the entire album.

It is just flat out remarkable what they have done since reforming, especially not just relying on their stuff from the previous century as a cash grab to tour. By all accounts J & Lou just agree to peacefully coexist to rehearse, record and tour. I have heard Lou say that when J wants to practice, he calls Murph who then in turn reaches out to Lou to get together.

I like Young M.A. Not all of her songs hit but I like the vibe when working out.

I know as a 45 year old man I'm probably not supposed to like this new Olivia Rodrigo album, but... it's pretty fucking awesome.

I'm only a casual fan of Chvrches....but their new song featuring Robert Smith of The Cure is really good.

If you're like me and you loved 90's music, you'll love beabadoobee. Straight out of the 90's and strong Juliana Hatfield vibes

Sleater-Kinney out with a new album. Sleater-Kinney is one of those bands I feel like I should be more in to.

Sleater-Kinney out with a new album. Sleater-Kinney is one of those bands I feel like I should be more in to.

I'm afraid to listen. The last album, the jettisoning of the fantastic drummer Janet Weiss and some comments from Carrie Brownstein about the whole situation have been a huge, huge letdown for me. I still went and saw them the last time round and really tried but damn, they went from a rock band that was IMPORTANT to me to a mediocre pop band the screwed over a vital member.

Over the weekend I listened the new albums by Liz Phair, Soberish, and Garbage, No Gods No Monsters.

I like both efforts quite a bit. Liz and Shirley swear like sailors, and I dig it.

Over the weekend I listened the new albums by Liz Phair, Soberish, and Garbage, No Gods No Monsters.

I like both efforts quite a bit. Liz and Shirley swear like sailors, and I dig it.
Check out Shirley on the Craig Ferguson show on youtube. She is a great guest.

Check out Shirley on the Craig Ferguson show on youtube. She is a great guest.
Agreed. She also has a cool podcast (The Jump with Shirley Manson), one of the episodes features the aforementioned Liz Phair.

The interludes don't bother me much. I removed them when I ripped the album onto my computer. But yeah....every song is good. I think Remember When is the standout. But Endlessly, Mars Simula, and Self Destructor are all excellent as well. The remainder are all very good. Just a crazy solid album from front to back. And I think it knocks Sci-Fi Crimes off as the best Chevelle album by just a sliver.

I have to revise this. Sci-Fi Crimes is still the best Chevelle album. But not by a lot. And 'Mars Simula' ended up being the fourth single. Not a surprise....song is great. I think they have to release 'Endlessly' as the fifth and final single. That could be a crossover hit and bring in more interest (not that they need it) for when they finally announce a tour.

Don't know if anyone has been on Wolf Alice....but they released another great album about a month ago. 'Smile' was the first single off it....and it doesn't disappoint.

Tough band to nail down. They pull from so many different musical styles that they can't really put into a box. I personally lean further into to the grungy stuff....but I also love shoegaze....and they nail that too. 'My Love is Cool' is their debut.....and it's fantastic. But this new album is winning me over too.

'Lipstick on the Glass' is great. 'The Last Man on the Moon' could grab some Grammy attention, imo.

I have to revise this. Sci-Fi Crimes is still the best Chevelle album. But not by a lot. And 'Mars Simula' ended up being the fourth single. Not a surprise....song is great. I think they have to release 'Endlessly' as the fifth and final single. That could be a crossover hit and bring in more interest (not that they need it) for when they finally announce a tour.

I agree. After listening to the album several times though, I think Mars Simula has ended up being my favorite song.

New Son Volt, Electro Melodier was recently released. Quick, summary is Jay Farrar is angry and not going to take it any more. Pretty biting lyrics crafted over great some great hooks. Here's Livin' In the USA

New Son Volt, Electro Melodier was recently released. Quick, summary is Jay Farrar is angry and not going to take it any more. Pretty biting lyrics crafted over great some great hooks. Here's Livin' In the USA
After multiple listens, I declare this album is awesome. Carry on.

Going to preface and say this type of music isn't everyone's cup of tea, but over the last few years I've become a huge fan of Two Steps From Hell and one of their composers, Thomas Bergersen. They primarily make epic cinematic-style music. Odds are everyone has heard several cinematic trailers featuring their music.

Bergersen is in the process of releasing a seven chapter album series entitled Humanity, each album explores different themes related to (shockingly!) humanity. Chapter IV just released in the past week, and it is a sci-fi themed album about human exploration and achievement. This track titled "Apollo" Bergersen wrote in honor of the Apollo space program.

This probably ain't gunna get much love here, but want to share as it highlights some of the most unbelievable things a human can do with their voice. The breakdown at the end is insane.

Make sure to have your priest nearby if needed :)

New single dropped today, Wasted Days, by two legends:

Go Gophers!!

ZBB with a great new single drop:

Go Zac Brown!!

WAIT WHAT? ABBA with a new album? Not saying I am going to get this album but there is something very cool about that fact that they are back. Not something I thought we'd ever see.

Top Bottom