NEW MUSIC

While Wilco's newest release, Cousin, isn't an instant classic (like last year's Cruel Country) there's a lot to like. Solid ear candy throughout in a tight 10 song effort. I think it will grow on me even more after seeing some of the songs live.

Last night's performance of Evicted on Kimmel supports my theory so far.

along with new music, a new music venue is coming to the Twins Cities. Here's an update from the Strib on a new amphitheater that is under construction near Canterbury Park in Shakopee.

The Twin Cities metro area's next outdoor concert venue will be part of a $400 million entertainment district being built near Canterbury Park.

Leaders from Canterbury Park, Swervo Development Corp. and Shakopee held a ceremonial groundbreaking Tuesday for the 19,000-seat amphitheater. Work on the site near the racetrack has been underway since July.

The first concerts at the new venue are expected to be held in spring 2025. Shakopee city officials expect the site to host about 40 concerts a year.

19,000 seats is bigger than Treasure Island's venue. It will be interesting to see what type of acts they bring in. For me, going to a show in Shakopee would be a little shorter drive and I don't have to deal with freeway traffic or parking hassles at Target Center or the X.

back when I lived in Wisconsin, I went to quite a few shows at Alpine Valley which is in between Madison and Milwaukee. that seats 37,000 at full capacity. (one night after a Bob Dylan concert it took me over an hour-and-a-half to find my car - and I was sober......forgot which lot I parked in....)

Breaking out of the normal tOTB genres, but this song is fantastic.

This song bangs. I originally figured that Olivia Rodrigo was just going to be another teeny bopper pop star. Nope. She's going to be star because she's a very talented songwriter.

Youtube Music introduced me to Nilufer Yanya a few days ago....and I've mostly been hooked.

'The Last Dinner Party' is an all female band that I expect will get a lot of attention. They've only released four songs as a band (album out in the spring)....but they all have a fun/cool sound and the lead vocalist can shatter windows (not literally).

Last edited:

While I'm on the topic of female led bands crushing (Wolf Alice) alt-rock......love Metric's new album, Formentera II. 'Who Would You Be For Me' is my favorite song of theirs since 'Help I'm Alive' off their album 'Fantasies' (2009).

Youtube also suggested the band 'Speed of Light' to me a few weeks ago....and I'm very interested. These three are siblings.....and the lead singer/bassist is probably still in high school.

Last edited:

The country-rock outfit from Appleton, WI, Dusk, released their first full-length in five years a couple weeks ago. You can find it here:

My personal fav from the album:

Here's a nice live showcase featuring Dusk on Wisconsin public TV from a few years back.

Last edited:

This song bangs. I originally figured that Olivia Rodrigo was just going to be another teeny bopper pop star. Nope. She's going to be star because she's a very talented songwriter.
Like a cross between Lorde & Billie Eilish.

Last Dinner Party & Durry have been getting lots of play on The Current. Good stuff.

New album from The Kills. The Kills are one of those bands on my short list to get more into.

For the first time in 16 years there's a new original Lemonheads song, so that's encouraging news from Evan Dando. Hopefully the rest of the album will be less bleak.

Fear of Living

Not sure who noticed, but Ratboys were just on CBS Saturday Morning's Saturday Sessions. Theirs is my favorite album of 2023.

Waxahatchee releasing a new album on the 22nd.

Also out on March 22nd was the new release by Phosphorescent. It's making a serious splash, getting crossover play in a lot of genres.

I could listen to this one over and over and might have actually done that.

From their recent appearance on CBS Saturday Morning:

Top Bottom