New Hampshire: Pregame Thread

And turnovers.

I could see both sides of the argument, but we won, and this is a program that should take all the wins we can get. There's no reason for anyone to feel bad after a win, but that type of performance won't get it done in the Big Ten.

Not sure I buy that this is an improved performance from last year, however. Guess it depends on which game you pick.

I am gonna dwell on nothing from last night, except that we won. I am not gonna spill negatives on mistakes.

My job is to look forward to the next game, because that is all I can control. I am leaving the correcting of mistakes up to Coach Kill and his Staff, that is what they control.

We are 1-0 instead of 0-1.

Go Gophers!!!

There was a good in that game no doubt but there is no way on God's green earth that you can say there was more good than bad in that game and keep a straight face.

Good:
1. Moved the ball with ease
2. No Drops by receivers
3. Stout D
4. Pressure and Sacks!!!!
5. We Won
6. 3 INTS
7. Great tackling
8. No Big Plays given up
9. Offensive line (plenty of time to throw)
10. Running game (Donnell Kirkwood)

Bad:
1. Muffed Punt
2. Missed FG
3. Tipped INT
4. Horrible on 3rd down conversions
5. Penalties
6. Missed Big Plays
7. Throwing errors

What am I missing...

Should throw NIU in there... maybe not this year. but a few years ago they were good

NIU is Northern Illinois Univeristy, they are in the MAC and are FBS.

Do you mean University of Northern Iowa? They are FCS.

The penalties were disconcerting, but fixable and there is no doubt in my mind that will be fixed before NH.

The Gophers will destroy UNH, no question in my mind.

I will say this about the next opponent, Matt Evans is the MLB and last years Buck Buchanan winner as a junior. He is superb and may very well be the best defensive player on the field next Saturday. He will be worth watching. Nearly all of the Buchanan award winners the past 10 years are having very successful NFL careers, such as Jared Allen. Other than watching him, we should all just enjoy the blowout.

The problem with that is that "a good FCS team" means basically 4 teams in recent years: NDSU, Georgia Southern, Appalachian State and Sam Houston State.

Those 4 teams could play FBS and probably win some games, the rest of the FCS teams shouldn't get a sniff of a win VS a BigTen team.

Disagree. Only if you measure "recent" by months rather than years. If we are going to start compiling a list of the elite FCS programs New Hampshire easily belongs on that list. FCS has its ebbs and flows, just like FBS does. But New Hampshire (and Montana) are both among the best and either could easily steal a game or three in FBS in any year they happen to be good.

Disagree. Only if you measure "recent" by months rather than years. If we are going to start compiling a list of the elite FCS programs New Hampshire easily belongs on that list. FCS has its ebbs and flows, just like FBS does. But New Hampshire (and Montana) are both among the best and either could easily steal a game or three in FBS in any year they happen to be good.

Last yer FCS top 15 teams went 3-9 vs FBS bottom feeders average score in the losses 39-12. The only three wins were by NDSU, Ga Southern and Sam Houston State.

Most seasons FCS has a handful of teams capable of beating a bottom feeder FBS team, though there have been two FCS teams to beat ranked FBS teams.

My point being that NH is a good FCS team but not an elite FCS team. Montana, NDSU, James Madison, Appalacian State, Delaware, Northern Iowa, Villanova and Ga Southern are the "elite" FCS teams and they are generally the ones responsible for beating FBS teams.

Let's see," New" Mexico State and, hmm." New" Hampshire. I will be walking into TCF stadium on
Egg shells

I'm not looking past New Hampshire. Their strength and conditioning coach ate 15 sliders, 1/2 pound of french fries and a 14-oz. milkshake in less than 30-minutes on an episode of Man vs. Food Nation on the Travel Channel.

I'm not looking past New Hampshire. Their strength and conditioning coach ate 15 sliders, 1/2 pound of french fries and a 14-oz. milkshake in less than 30-minutes on an episode of Man vs. Food Nation on the Travel Channel.
Uh oh...hopefully he doesn't challenge Limegrover. He might have to hulk up and revert to his former days.

Some things about the game last night went very well and some things went bad, plenty of room for improvememt. Most coaches will tell you that any given team will see the greatest improvement from week one to week two. We won, hope we see the necessary improvement and if we do the Gophers could be a tricky team to beat for many teams on our schedule. I still think 6 wins is possible.

It does not matter whether New Hampshire is better or worse than UNLV. What truely matters is whether we play better. I would think so. Kirkwood and Gillium could be better. We rushed 45 times that could be 55. Gray could hit a couple more passes. Don't forget how free and easy he was in the overtime. Could they have settled on the Aussie punter? Can the pressure continue on defense,and tighten up the run defense a little. Get a few more three and outs. The most improvement in most teams is between week one and week two. It is a progression. Just beat New Hampshire. It is only 7 days away, it should be the only focus.

Last yer FCS top 15 teams went 3-9 vs FBS bottom feeders average score in the losses 39-12. The only three wins were by NDSU, Ga Southern and Sam Houston State.

Most seasons FCS has a handful of teams capable of beating a bottom feeder FBS team, though there have been two FCS teams to beat ranked FBS teams.

My point being that NH is a good FCS team but not an elite FCS team. Montana, NDSU, James Madison, Appalacian State, Delaware, Northern Iowa, Villanova and Ga Southern are the "elite" FCS teams and they are generally the ones responsible for beating FBS teams.

10197.gif

Attachments

• 10197.jpg
    10197.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 1

I am not trying to argue with you, but there were some interesting scores yesterday when FCS played FBS teams.

UNI hung in with the Badgers and could have won it late, but they made Bullemia squirm, no doubt.

Indiana State gave Indiana a scare and should have won.

Youngstown State killed Pittsburgh by 2 TDs.

Eastern Washington, the 2010 national champion, killed Idaho.

University of Tennessee-Martin beat Memphis.

And lots of other FCS teams scared the bejesus out of their FBS opponent yesterday.

My point is this: every once in a while there are years where the FCS does real well against FBS opponents, the last being 2007. I think this could be one of those years. I predicted a blow out earlier in this thread over New Hampshire. I now thinking this game could be closer than I orginally thought.

A little research, and we find that the Wildcats of The University of New Hamshire were rated the number 14 team in FCS going into their match up with Holy Cross. Holly Cross has an enrollment of 2,800 and offers no football scholarships. Now we face the number 14 rated Wildcats at Minneapolis. This is the biggest game on their schedule, biggest stage they will play on. From the Pride of Minnesota to the fans , it should be the most intimidating stadium they will ever face. No Minnesota Nice! The Bank must be Rockin on Saturday, the expectation must be to route them. Keep the foot on the peddle and go all out. Show them they are not ready for prime time.

I agree husker. This is UNH's shot. They have to believe they have a solid chance given our recent history. This is not a gimme. We could be in for a dogfight

You never know - I thought the Gophers would blow away a 2-win UNLV team. I'm still not sure the Gophers will be able to run against B10 teams this year.

Wouldn't You like to Know said:
Good:
1. Moved the ball with ease
2. No Drops by receivers
3. Stout D
4. Pressure and Sacks!!!!
5. We Won
6. 3 INTS
7. Great tackling
8. No Big Plays given up
9. Offensive line (plenty of time to throw)
10. Running game (Donnell Kirkwood)

Bad:
1. Muffed Punt
2. Missed FG
3. Tipped INT
4. Horrible on 3rd down conversions
5. Penalties
6. Missed Big Plays
7. Throwing errors

What am I missing...

Good list. This really puts things in perspective. Could we have pointed to a list like this in any of the 9 losses last year? Maybe MSU?

The team appears to be better based on the above - especially the D.

You never know - I thought the Gophers would blow away a 2-win UNLV team. I'm still not sure the Gophers will be able to run against B10 teams this year.

We were a 3-win U of M team and you had a thought like that? Get real.

It still gets down to the fact that ya gotta play the god damned games. Period.

Good list. This really puts things in perspective. Could we have pointed to a list like this in any of the 9 losses last year? Maybe MSU?

The team appears to be better based on the above - especially the D.

Maybe. Maybe not. Remember, it took us 3 OT's to post a win against a bad UNLV program. If the list was posted after playing a middle of the pack BIG program, then I would be more optimistic.

We will know at the end of the season.

Hello all!

UNH fan here obviously. I wouldnt worry about the Gophers beating UNH, I think thats a pretty safe bet. Yes, we have had success against FBS teams in the past, but those were bottom feeder FBS programs, not BigTen schools. Just by sheer size,speed, and numbers Minny should have no problem this week. It may be close for a half, but Minny will break away. Unless the Gophers overlook UNH, but I highly doubt that after losing to NDSU last year. Im going to start a UNH scouting report on another thread for you guys so theres more detailed info from a fan that watches/listens to almost every game.

Hello all!

UNH fan here obviously. I wouldnt worry about the Gophers beating UNH, I think thats a pretty safe bet. Yes, we have had success against FBS teams in the past, but those were bottom feeder FBS programs, not BigTen schools. Just by sheer size,speed, and numbers Minny should have no problem this week. It may be close for a half, but Minny will break away. Unless the Gophers overlook UNH, but I highly doubt that after losing to NDSU last year. Im going to start a UNH scouting report on another thread for you guys so theres more detailed info from a fan that watches/listens to almost every game.

Welcome UNHFan! I appreciate the kind words but I expect absolutely no safe bets until the Gophers prove me otherwise. Know of any friends visiting TCF this Saturday?

Welcome UNHFan! I appreciate the kind words but I expect absolutely no safe bets until the Gophers prove me otherwise. Know of any friends visiting TCF this Saturday?

Thanks! Ill have to check the UNH board to see if anyone mentioned making it out there. I would love to go myself, but unfortunately I dont have the funds. I have heard only great things about the state of Minnesota and would love to visit one day, this would be the perfect time but unfortunately I just cant afford it. UNH fans generally travel pretty well, nothing like the schools down south but you will definitely run into parents and fans. Great people, we are very humble (accustomed to wins and losses) and i know there will be plenty of excited fans. Its not very often we get invited to play a BigTen team in a BigTen stadium.

However, I am Wicked pumped that the game is on the BigTen Network and we can watch it in HD right here in NH!

However, I am Wicked pumped that the game is on the BigTen Network and we can watch it in HD right here in NH!

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/8um_srsd-hz_rijaftbwfg"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/8um_srsd-hz_rijaftbwfg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

:rolleyes:

Top Bottom