New Hampshire: Pregame Thread

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
The Wildcats opened their season with a 38-17 win over Holy Cross last night: http://www.unhwildcats.com/sports/fball/2012-13/releases/20120830uyiyyh

Good balance, looks like their QB will give us more of a test than Sherry did last night, although he's a redshirt freshman so he could have his ups and downs. Lots of success running the ball from them. Holy Cross threw it a lot (47 times) but with a bit of success (271 yards) so we might find some exploits there. I hope we win.

I hope Kill has his team ready to play against New Hampshire, especially after that ugly win last night. One of the things I look for that this program is truly turning the corner is when they can dominate these FCS teams, not only on the field but the score board as well. Kill did not look happy at all last night on the field after the game even though they won it. Although I was frustrated and very dissapointed last night this was the first game and they have a chance to come home and make a statement. I'll bet Kill is going to lose his voice this week during practice and have this team mentally prepared for the home opener. GO GOPHERS!!

New Hampshire is a better team than UNLV. We need to see improvement and fast.

If Gray hits open WR in endZone the game will be over at half boys!

Plus they're starting a redshirt freshman QB. That said, they are nationally ranked for FCS. We should win by a few scores, but strange things can happen.

Plus they're starting a redshirt freshman QB. That said, they are nationally ranked for FCS. We should win by a few scores, but strange things can happen.
You'd think after a few years of losing to FCS teams we'd drop this attitude. The difference between a good FCS program and a bad FBS program is very small.

You'd think after a few years of losing to FCS teams we'd drop this attitude. The difference between a good FCS program and a bad FBS program is very small.

The problem with that is that "a good FCS team" means basically 4 teams in recent years: NDSU, Georgia Southern, Appalachian State and Sam Houston State.

Those 4 teams could play FBS and probably win some games, the rest of the FCS teams shouldn't get a sniff of a win VS a BigTen team.

Should throw NIU in there... maybe not this year. but a few years ago they were good

It shouldn't be. We could have had any of the NH players (not to mention UNLV's) at the U. Shame on us that this last game was competitive and if the next one is as well. I don't care who the previous coach was, we're a Big Ten team playing New Hampshire. Enough of the Dakota and New Mexico State games. I'm not happy simply coming out with a w in those games. We were tired of Mase not getting over the hump and now we're supposed to be happy getting a w against New freaking Hampshire?

Should throw NIU in there... maybe not this year. but a few years ago they were good

Yes, they had a good team or two as well. My point is that there are really only small number of the FCS teams that are any good.

The problem with that is that "a good FCS team" means basically 4 teams in recent years: NDSU, Georgia Southern, Appalachian State and Sam Houston State.

Those 4 teams could play FBS and probably win some games, the rest of the FCS teams shouldn't get a sniff of a win VS a BigTen team.
Shouldn't and can't aren't the same thing. I think it's very clear that a lot of FCS teams can beat FBS teams because it happens with increasing frequency. New Hampshire has a solid all-around program much like the Dakota schools. If we went out last night and handled our business I would agree with you.

Last year. Not this year. If we have this attitude, we may as well shut 'er down now, because we're only going to win 3 games this year.
I'm not saying that past is prelude, but it's not irrelevant. New Hampshire is a historically strong FCS program, and UNLV is a historically terrible FBS program. I can't say that I saw much last night to change that perception, and as I said, the difference between a strong FCS program and a bad FBS program is historically small.

I think we will win this game, but I'm stunned by some of the swagger being displayed here.

Shouldn't and can aren't the same thing. I think it's very clear that a lot of FCS teams can beat FBS teams because it happens with increasing frequency. New Hampshire has a solid all-around program much like the Dakota schools. If we went out last night and handled our business I would agree with you.

That's my point. The Gophers were so bad last night they probably would have had issues beating most of the top 15 FCS teams in the country. Completely unacceptable and completely unacceptable for any fan to try to make it sound like whatever stats we put up UNLV makes any difference when we play B1G teams.

That's my point. The Gophers were so bad last night they probably would have had issues beating most of the top 15 FCS teams in the country. Completely unacceptable and completely unacceptable for any fan to try to make it sound like whatever stats we put up UNLV makes any difference when we play B1G teams.

You keep talking like we had this horrendous game last night and didn't do anything right. We racked up 400 yards of offense through the end of the 4th quarter. Yes we made a bunch of mistakes, and yes it needs to be corrected if we want to even sniff a bowl game. But c'mon, you have to admit we did a lot of good things as well.

You keep talking like we had this horrendous game last night and didn't do anything right. We racked up 400 yards of offense through the end of the 4th quarter. Yes we made a bunch of mistakes, and yes it needs to be corrected if we want to even sniff a bowl game. But c'mon, you have to admit we did a lot of good things as well.

If you read my posts elsewhere I said the defense largerly looked good, rush defense was iffy at times but otherwise pretty good. The WRs looked good, Kirkwood looked good, Wells was great...ect. Inspite of the complaints about the play calling, the plays resulted in a lot of wide open, big play potential situtations.

Most of my angst is with MG who still at this point does not look like a very natural passer at all. The bonehead plays and penalties are seriously brain grinding and there is no excuse for MG missing 5 wide open TD passes.

My entire point here is that we can't point at the stats and say, "See it was pretty good" when the team had no discipline and made huge mistakes all game and did it against a team with 4 wins in two years. As I said, if anyone thinks we'd put up those numbers against most B1G teams they're crazy because playing like that last night would be a 56-14 loss to any good team.

Now, I don't expect them to beat Michigan, Nebraska and the like but we ought to be able to put the hammer down on the teams in or non-conference schedule this year, for the most part.

I think the defensive play is encouraging but I don't have much faith in MG being able to play with any level conistency, and that's going to be a huge problem if it isn't turned around.

The mental mistakes are very disconcerting. Lining up on the line instead of the backfield, yielding an illegal motion, sigh. The false starts on 3rd and 2's. The personal fouls (Aaron Hill). Obviously the missed receivers are frustrating as well. We did gift wrap 10 of UNLV's points though. The first 3 points off of the INT, the TD off of the muffed punt (CMON STOUDERMIRE YOU'RE A SENIOR!!).

Lots of bright points last night. Lots of mistakes as well. Heres to hoping we correct on the mistakes we had and build upon the good thing we saw last night.

**One thing I am very critical of are the penalties. The penalties we had and the manner we had them is unacceptable and it needs to be corrected immediately. We better not have half the penalty yardage we had last night at home. So hopefully we get it straightened out.

The best thing about last night is we were playing UNLV so we got some help winning that game. The concering things were just so bad I think that if they continue we're not winning more than 2 games this year. There are some good things going on with the Gophers but the concerning areas are so bad that it might not matter.

The concering things were just so bad I think that if they continue we're not winning more than 2 games this year.

I will bet any amount you want to bet. I am dead serious. Name your price.

The mental mistakes are very disconcerting. Lining up on the line instead of the backfield, yielding an illegal motion, sigh. The false starts on 3rd and 2's. The personal fouls (Aaron Hill). Obviously the missed receivers are frustrating as well. We did gift wrap 10 of UNLV's points though. The first 3 points off of the INT, the TD off of the muffed punt (CMON STOUDERMIRE YOU'RE A SENIOR!!).
It was a really awful play, but guys in the NFL muff punts. Being a senior isn't going to eliminate mistakes.

The best thing about last night is we were playing UNLV so we got some help winning that game. The concering things were just so bad I think that if they continue we're not winning more than 2 games this year. There are some good things going on with the Gophers but the concerning areas are so bad that it might not matter.

Dude keep it together man!!! It was the 1st game of the year. If that is your attitude in life generally man I feel bad for you. There was a lot more good than bad last night!

I will bet any amount you want to bet. I am dead serious. Name your price.

I'm not betting on the Gophers to win or lose.

As I said, IF these things continue, we won't win more than 2 games. Granted, MG won't be as inept at making a big play all season as he was in this game and I would hope that the level of discipline wont be as bad either so chances are they will win more than 2 games. If they can cut down pentalties and Gray makes 3 of those 5 big incompletions the game looks a lot different. Still a lot of concerns and I'm not as confident in my 5-6 win prediction as I was before this game but they'll probably still win more than 2 games. However, if we see what we saw VS UNLV on a regular basis, 2 wins will be about it.

Dude keep it together man!!! It was the 1st game of the year. If that is your attitude in life generally man I feel bad for you. There was a lot more good than bad last night!

There was a good in that game no doubt but there is no way on God's green earth that you can say there was more good than bad in that game and keep a straight face.

There was a good in that game no doubt but there is no way on God's green earth that you can say there was more good than bad in that game and keep a straight face.

I have no problem saying there was more good than bad. We found a way to win the game.

Yes I can.... Two things went wrong last night... MG missing open receivers and penalties.

Things that went right: Three take-aways, nearly 500 yards of offense, development of a pass rush, receivers who are now catching passes, and a WIN on the road.

Top Bottom